Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Pirates 2012: Sending A Message

I titled this year's thread Sending A Message because how the front office handles the McCutchen contract situation is going to send a message to the fans, the current prospects in the organization and any potential future free agents. Try and lowball Cutch and every decent prospect in the organization will know that the objective is to get to the bigs quickly, put in your 6 years and get the hell out of town in a hurry. This will show how serious and honest Nutting was when he said that he will pay for the right players when the time comes that the Bucs can contend.

That being said; here's a look at the 2012 Bucs.

C- Barajas
    1B-Jones/McGehee
    2B-Walker
    SS-Barmes
    3B-Pedro
    RF-Tabata
    CF-Cutch
    LF- Presley

SP-AJ Burnett
    SP-Bedard
    SP-Morton
    SP-McDonald
    SP-Correia/Karstens

CL-Hanrahan
    RP's-Meek, Resop, Grilli, Watson, someone, Correia or Karstens loser

Bench- McKenry, Jones or McGehee, McLouth, back up middle infielder

I can't see this team being anything close to a contender, even in a watered-down NL Central, but, if everything works out well, I can see the streak end at 19 years and the Pirates barely get their nose above .500. I'll say 82-80 on the good end (approximately 3rd place) and 75-87 on the low end (maybe 4th or 5th). I can't see us falling below the Lastros.

This team will have some decent speed, but not great OBP at the top of the order(Presley,Tabata,Cutch) some questionable pop in the middle(Jones/McGehee,Walker, Alvarez) and improved defense but decreased offense from the bottom 2 (Barmes & Barajas). The rotation is anchored by 2 reclamation projects in Burnett and Bedard, and 3 pitch-to-contact guys in Morton,McDonald and Correia. If anyone from the rotation goes down or doesn't perform, the pickings get slim at the high levels of the minors. I can see the Bucs pushing Gerrit Cole and Jameson Taillon through the system quickly, both probably arriving by the end of 2013 at the latest. The bats will take longer to arrive with Josh Bell in late 2014 at best. We can hope to see Marte and maybe Sanchez by the end of this year and Dickerson in early 2014.

Huntington, Coonelly and nutting have their 1st and best chance to set the tone for the next few years of this franchise and pony up the money for Cutch. To underpay him and piss him off will put a fork in this team's future if they don't match Upton and Bruce like Cutch wants.

I wouldn't call McDonald a pitch to contact guy. He strikes alot of guys out and walks quite a few guys. He's really trying very hard to avoid contact.
    Mac9, to the true warrior. the ultimate competitor and the most worth adversary any athlete has ever faced off against. He was an inspiration for both his on the field play, off the field contributions and his leadership. The world is now a worse place without him.

"Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity" - Justice Antonin Scalia

"Just because you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it doesn't mean you're wrong."
    - Ghandi

If they don't re-sign Cutch, might as well fold up camp and move the team. He IS the future of that organization.

I stand corrected on JMac. He led the team in K's last season. There is also talk that he could be the one going to the pen instead of either Karstens or Correia. I'd rather have him in the rotation myself.

This delay in signing the marquee player of your franchise is really disturbing to me. I assume that Alvarez will leave town after his 6 yrs are up no matter what, but I'd really want Cole, Taillon and Bell to at least give the Bucs serious consideration when it comes to their FA years. It won't be the case if they blow the Cutch situation.

Congrats, Pirates fans.

Getting McCutchen signed is a step in the right direction for your team.

So after seeing the terms of the deal, lets get real:

this was all about getting more money than Justin Upton. ;)
    Mac9, to the true warrior. the ultimate competitor and the most worth adversary any athlete has ever faced off against. He was an inspiration for both his on the field play, off the field contributions and his leadership. The world is now a worse place without him.

"Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity" - Justice Antonin Scalia

"Just because you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it doesn't mean you're wrong."
    - Ghandi

Quote Originally Posted by The Q View Post
    So after seeing the terms of the deal, lets get real:

this was all about getting more money than Justin Upton. ;)
    Just like a lot of other contracts in every sport.

Allow me to publicly say to Neal, Frank and Bob; Thank You for being men of your words. Next up, Neil Walker.

Here's the thing about contracts PR.

The Pirates could've offered this and gotten rejected and then you guys woudlv'e ripped them for being cheap and not locking him up.

- Ghandi

Not necessarily.

A deal with this framework (6 yrs, approximately 51 million) has been the talk since the whole idea came up. If Cutch and his people thought that was way too low, I'm sure they would have gotten word out through the media (unofficially, off the record, etc). Someone put out Upton and Bruce's contracts as what it would take to sign Cutch. If, after all this speculation as to the terms of the Bucs offer, if Cutch and his agent said they were insulted and done talking about a deal, they would have lost in the court of public opinion. Cutch and his agent would be the villains.

What the hell happened to Pedro Alvarez?
    "I will punch you." - Wounded Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
    What the hell happened to Pedro Alvarez?
    No one really knows. His whole career in the Bucs organization, he has never been a high BA guy, but he always hit around .270 with serious power. He can't seem to work an AB; his pitch recognition is horrible and every pitching coach in the NL knows where the gaping holes are in his swing. 2 years in a row he has refused to play winter ball and opted to work out on his own.

He looks like the kind of guy who will blossom after the Bucs trade or release him. It appears that the team will give him until June to get it together, then send him back to AAA if it doesn't work. This will be his last option.

The team is reluctant to use the "b" word about him; the one that rhymes with trust, but it might just be the case.

This thread should have been titled "Your 2012 Pittsburgh Pirates: Balls to the Face"
    My name is Mongo. I like to dance.....

Thus far, the pitching has been decent, but the hitting has been awful.

I've given up on Alvarez. To me, his body language constantly implies that he doesn't care enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondeye View Post
    Thus far, the pitching has been decent, but the hitting has been awful.

I've given up on Alvarez. To me, his body language constantly implies that he doesn't care enough.
    He gave us a little tease yesterday that maybe it's a few days too soon to give up on him. 3 hits in the double header, 2 of them line drive home runs. Maybe he's finally pulling his head out of his ass and not swinging at **** out of the zone, maybe not. Time will tell.

He has been coming around recently. Hopefully he can sustain it.

The pitching continues to impress. The bullpen has been strong, and early indications are that Burnett and Bedard have been great additions to the rotation.

IF Alvarez can continue to hit, and if McCutchen can start putting some balls over the fence, the Pirates may be more competitive than initially thought, as the pitching looks like it can continue to keep them in games.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast