Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by McGruffHawk View Post
    Would it be possible to program the forums so that you have two display options? With ads for those that don't want to pay, and an ad free forum for those willing to pay a small monthly fee?

Just a thought . . .
    I'd LOVE to see the results of that. I'm betting it would be less than 5% that would pay anything, and it wouldn't surprise me to see it be closer to 1%.
    "the blade itself incites to violence." - Homer

--

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - Kung fu Monkey

This thread is weird, it displays in the pre-change format for me but any other thread on the site displays in the ad-centric style.
    Occupying the handicap bathroom stall

Quote Originally Posted by Cory J. Bonini View Post
    People that are most against this format, please let me a few details:

1) Monitor size and resolution
    2) Mac or PC
    3) Browser
    4) How often do you use the forums through a mobile device (cell phone, tablet, the like)
    5) Biggest gripe about the change
    Oh, I didn't realize there would be a test.....
    My name is Mongo. I like to dance.....

Quote Originally Posted by StillSwinging View Post
    This is terrible, and it looks even worse on a phone.
    No ads on my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Marley View Post
    This thread is weird, it displays in the pre-change format for me but any other thread on the site displays in the ad-centric style.
    Heh. Me to.
    The world is a toll-free toilet
    Our mouths neurological ass0s
    And psychologically speaking
    We're in a state of mental diarrhea
    Talking sh*t a mile a minute
    Or in a state of constipated notions
    Can't think of nothin' but sh*t, and in this world of stinky futures
    Sh*tty memories and constipated 19 now-nows
    Emerges from the hiney of your head the doo doo chasers
    The Promentalsh*tbackwashpsychosisenemasquad
    Bringing you music to get your sh*t together by

So did we fill out these forms just for fun?
    What we've got here is failure to communicate....some men you just can't reach

Quote Originally Posted by GiveUp2122 View Post
    So did we fill out these forms just for fun?
    Patience, grasshopper. The tech team is reviewing their options and everyone's response, but it appears this format will remain, at least for the short term.

Remember when Webby shut down MouthOff and we came here and reminded each other to "Click the ads!"

Okay, now I have to scroll right to see the side ad. It's like being back to full screen. This is cool, but it won't stay, will it, CB?

EDIT: The main NST page still has the 1/3 page ad. Click on a thread and it opens with the ad off the screen and I have to scroll over to see it. (I'm on my work laptop)
    Last edited by ErkTheJerk; 02-23-2012 at 01:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by McGruffHawk View Post
    Would it be possible to program the forums so that you have two display options? With ads for those that don't want to pay, and an ad free forum for those willing to pay a small monthly fee?

Just a thought . . .
    This is a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by CalgaryHawkFan View Post
    I'd LOVE to see the results of that. I'm betting it would be less than 5% that would pay anything, and it wouldn't surprise me to see it be closer to 1%.
    I bet 25%+ will pay. I do the same for apps on my iPad like Words with Friends...I start out with the freebie one filled with ads...and when I get addicted..I purchase the app for 99 cents and poof no more ads.
    "I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by ErkTheJerk View Post
    Okay, now I have to scroll right to see the side ad. It's like being back to full screen. This is cool, but it won't stay, will it, CB?

EDIT: The main NST page still has the 1/3 page ad. Click on a thread and it opens with the ad off the screen and I have to scroll over to see it. (I'm on my work laptop)
    That is news to me. I see the right-hand panel at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyped View Post
    This is a great idea.

I bet 25%+ will pay. I do the same for apps on my iPad like Words with Friends...I start out with the freebie one filled with ads...and when I get addicted..I purchase the app for 99 cents and poof no more ads.
    Can't split the forums into two views, and we would be losing money if we were to roll out a pay model. Less than 10 percent of users would pay, regardless of the fee. We don't accept subscription fees of any kind, so there is a lot of back-end work that would have to be done. It isn't cost-effective.

Frame rails like this are extremely common in free forums, and it is here to stay in some fashion. We are looking into ways of improving its appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory J. Bonini View Post
    That is news to me. I see the right-hand panel at all times.
    For me and its just in this thread alone, no other thread. The right panel is still there, but I can't see it. The quick reply area, and all other posts are taking up my entire screen (like the old way) I could use my mouse to scroll the right panel into view if I wanted to. In every other thread the right panel is in full view w/o having to scroll it into view.

If you phone and ipad users don't like the look and screen size of the forums. Wait till you go to write/read a PM. Heh, heh.
    The world is a toll-free toilet
    Our mouths neurological ass0s
    And psychologically speaking
    We're in a state of mental diarrhea
    Talking sh*t a mile a minute
    Or in a state of constipated notions
    Can't think of nothin' but sh*t, and in this world of stinky futures
    Sh*tty memories and constipated 19 now-nows
    Emerges from the hiney of your head the doo doo chasers
    The Promentalsh*tbackwashpsychosisenemasquad
    Bringing you music to get your sh*t together by

I think you could save some space on the left on the 'main page' -- whatever you call it -- in the column on the LEFT under MY MESSAGES/MY SUBSCRIPTIONS/MY SETTINGS --- that column seems like it could be shrunk a little (and tapered around the corners to look more symmetrical. Then you could use that space to WIDEN THE THREADS/MIDDLE COLUMN -- and shrink your AD/RIGHT COLUMN just a HAIR to EQUAL THE SIZE OF THE LEFT COLUMN -- and you'll have it.

You'd have symmetry and it would appear 'normal', at least to me - as of now it seems a bit disjointed/unfinished -- which I suppose it is since you are working on it.

And maybe it's just my connection, but it days past it seemed to slow down the forum vs. the past - but today that doesn't seem an issue so maybe you've worked that out (or maybe it was my connection).
    Gang Way!

Quote Originally Posted by Hyped View Post
    Depends on what we're talking about. A 99c one time fee, sure I bet you'd get a % you're predicting. A recurring monthly fee? I'd take your bet.
    "the blade itself incites to violence." - Homer

--

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - Kung fu Monkey

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast