Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Marcus Gilbert to LT...

just seen it on NFL Network.

the Draft becomes a wee bit clearer......in regards to our 1st rounder anyways....
    The Leafies are Scumbags.

I wonder if that is positive news on Willie Colon....although i'm leary of a guy who's missed 2 straight seasons with major injuries. Guy was really becoming a force at RT but just can't stay healthy.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Joseph Palmi: Let me ask you something... we Italians, we got our families, and we got the church; the Irish, they have the homeland, Jews their tradition; even the niggers, they got their music. What about you people, Mr. Wilson, what do you have?

Edward Wilson: The United States of America. The rest of you are just visiting.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    -George Orwell

I keep reading Colon is this and that, but honestly I haven't seen it yet. Coaching staff seems to like him but I found him average at best at RT and like many others wished they'd move him inside to G where he belongs, and with the injuries he's had the last couple years even more so. That said even if he comes back healthy, the question will be for how long. He's played in 1 game in last 2 years. I could see Gilbert on the left side, he was progressing well last year and if he keeps pushing himself he could be the answer. However even if Gilbert at LT and Colon at RT works for beginning the year, there had better be some better depth tha J. Scott, C. Scott, Turner, Meredith or Essex in case of injury.
    "Once I start, they'll be no stopping me."

He will have a shot there. But that doesn't mean they won't take a tackle like Adams if he is there.
    The consistent factor of all of your dissatisfying relationships and failures is you.

R.W. 09.21.10 I love you.

<shrug> I give it until April at the outside, so they're tagline won't really matter. -Jim in NYC
    proof!

If they take Adams, to me that means that Colon's toast/they at least aren't sure about him.

Adams is going to wind up a RT.
    "I'm like a hungry piranha with a capybara on it's period in the water..."

- westcoast

Biggie nailed it. The organization seems to be putting a lot of stock in Colon even though he's had the injury bug & wasn't ever a great OT IMO. If they have a shot at a legit OT & pass him up I'm gonna be upset - again. But I expect they'll be looking to get at least one OG early, maybe adding another later.

Gilbert was better than I expected this season, but he didn't have to face much speed on the right side. I hope he continues to develop if he's going to be expected to protect Ben's blind side.

With his recent injury history you'd have to be nuts to be counting on Colon to start consistently at ANY position on your oline next year. I hope Gilbert can be counted on as a regular starter at LT but I'd settle for keeping him at RT just to insure that 3 out of 5 spots are adequately covered by him, Pouncey and Foster. Gotta go oline early and gotta bring Starks back for insurance regardless of who we draft.

It was just reported by Bouchette that they restructured Colon's contract. So he has the bulk of this year's salary already in hand. You don't restructure guys who you think won't finish their contracts. This is somewhat troubling.

I do not get the obsession with Colon. At one point he might have been the brite spot on a truly pathetic line but please. The dude hasn't played a meaningful snap in 2 seasons and he is going to be the starting RT? WTF. This team values O-linemen like Andy Reid and the Iggles value linebackers. You can find cheap, warm bodies late in the draft and that is good enough. What the freak happened to building a quality offensive line? Beating this dead horse every off season has gotten really tiresome.
    Nappy time.

You guys are fogetting that 2 years ago our first rounder was an OL and is already an All Pro. Last year, we invested a 2nd rounded on a T who will be our starting LT of the future going forward and he has promise. It's not like we've totally ignored the line guys. Before Pouncey, i agree we let it spiral out of control, but things are looking up...IF WE STAY HEALTHY.

You guys want this overnight fix, and that just isn't realistic in this day in age. I fully expect us to use another high pick on a lineman and we'll be better off for it i think.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Joseph Palmi: Let me ask you something... we Italians, we got our families, and we got the church; the Irish, they have the homeland, Jews their tradition; even the niggers, they got their music. What about you people, Mr. Wilson, what do you have?

Edward Wilson: The United States of America. The rest of you are just visiting.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    -George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by MarkItAZero! View Post
    You guys are fogetting that 2 years ago our first rounder was an OL and is already an All Pro. Last year, we invested a 2nd rounded on a T who will be our starting LT of the future going forward and he has promise. It's not like we've totally ignored the line guys. Before Pouncey, i agree we let it spiral out of control, but things are looking up...IF WE STAY HEALTHY.

You guys want this overnight fix, and that just isn't realistic in this day in age. I fully expect us to use another high pick on a lineman and we'll be better off for it i think.
    Agreed. Several years ago, Tomlin went into the offseason saying the Steelers needed to get younger on both lines and that's exactly what they've done (and will likely continue to do). Most anticipate a high draft pick on a NT and a G/T this year.

The drafting of Pouncey and Gilbert are a start. My fear is that the line will finally get fixed and be very good when Ben is on the downside of his career and they are looking for the next QB. So in 5 more years I'll be bitching about it took to long to fix the line.
    Nappy time.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkItAZero! View Post
    You guys are fogetting that 2 years ago our first rounder was an OL and is already an All Pro.
    Except he's painfully overrated.

PFF ranked him as the 21st center last year, and 20th this year. Basically confirms what I've been saying. The guy gets most of his credit just for being a 1st round center picked by the Steelers, and not for his actual level of play, which at center, is something most people can't really judge.

Quote Originally Posted by StillSwinging View Post
    Except he's painfully overrated.

PFF ranked him as the 21st center last year, and 20th this year. Basically confirms what I've been saying. The guy gets most of his credit just for being a 1st round center picked by the Steelers, and not for his actual level of play, which at center, is something most people can't really judge.
    If you are looking to illustrate your point, you might use how people called the Colts drafts good for Polian was making the picks and Manning was carrying the team.

Quote Originally Posted by The Heinz Ward View Post
    If you are looking to illustrate your point, you might use how people called the Colts drafts good for Polian was making the picks and Manning was carrying the team.
    What does any of this have to do with Pouncey and the sad state of the Pittsburgh OL?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast