Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The Q View Post
    Not this year with Stras' innnings count.

And you probably have to keep Jackson at this point. But lets see how he does down the stretch.
    having Jackson and Laroche's contracts off the books does give you some flexibility to either add offense or another top arm.
    I think we should keep BOTH Jackson and LaRoche.

LaRoche has been great at 1b and there might not be a better #4 pitcher in the league right now than Jackson.

Our most pressing need is probably 2b with Espinosa struggling although he has come on as of late. An outfield of Harper-Morse-Werth-Ankiel is as good as it gets. Our staff and bullpen is as good as it gets. Zimmerman at 3B, Ramos/Flores at C and Desmond at SS are entrenched as well.

On a side note, our injuries are getting rediculous. Our backup catcher Sandy Leon who was just called up to replace Ramos suffered a high ankle sprain on a collision at home plate.

If Stasburg is held to 6 innings a start he will be good to go for playoffs. I see no reason why a "HEALTHY" Nats team cant compete for a Championship.
    --Colorado Avalanche
    --San Francisco 49ers
    --Washington Nationals
    --San Antonio Spurs

"If a person has an imaginary friend they call him crazy but if a bunch of people have the same imaginary friend they call it religion"

-My two favourite teams are the SF 49ers and whoever is playing the Seahawks.

Man that Strasburg is good. Nice win tonight.

I was hoping Detwiler would keep the #5 spot. he threw pretty well for you guys, I'm surprised the Nats kinda just junked him like that.

Not sure it's gonna be feasible to keep both Jackson and Laroche. If I had to choose, I'd take Jackson, move Morse to 1B and get a real CF. Rumor is Washington has been pinching their pennies to nab Michael Bourn since last season.
    Mac9, to the true warrior. the ultimate competitor and the most worth adversary any athlete has ever faced off against. He was an inspiration for both his on the field play, off the field contributions and his leadership. The world is now a worse place without him.

"Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity" - Justice Antonin Scalia

"Just because you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it doesn't mean you're wrong."
    - Ghandi

I was hoping Detwiler would keep the #5 spot. he threw pretty well for you guys, I'm surprised the Nats kinda just junked him like that.
    A quick glance at the peripherals leads me to believe the Nats were expecting the recent major market correction that Detwiler received.

Quote Originally Posted by seahawksfan837 View Post
    A quick glance at the peripherals leads me to believe the Nats were expecting the recent major market correction that Detwiler received.
    Even with correction: his FIP and xFIP are above average.

And that's taking into accounting the beating he's taken as a RP.
    Mac9, to the true warrior. the ultimate competitor and the most worth adversary any athlete has ever faced off against. He was an inspiration for both his on the field play, off the field contributions and his leadership. The world is now a worse place without him.

"Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity" - Justice Antonin Scalia

"Just because you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it doesn't mean you're wrong."
    - Ghandi

Man that Strasburg is good. Nice win tonight.

Not sure it's gonna be feasible to keep both Jackson and Laroche. If I had to choose, I'd take Jackson, move Morse to 1B and get a real CF. Rumor is Washington has been pinching their pennies to nab Michael Bourn since last season.
    We also need to get Tyler Moore into the regular lineup more often. He has been ripping the cover off the ball in AAA and he has done quite well in interleague play as a DH/1B.

But you are right, we need to keep Jackson. The reason we are first in the East is because of our pitching. Keep them boys together.

The injuries on this team are really starting to hurt now. We are missing Ramos and Werth.
    --Colorado Avalanche
    --San Francisco 49ers
    --Washington Nationals
    --San Antonio Spurs

"If a person has an imaginary friend they call him crazy but if a bunch of people have the same imaginary friend they call it religion"

I know it doesn't help now, but after getting Rendon and Giolito there's an argument the Nats have gotten the best prospect in the draft 4 years in a row.

- Ghandi

I didn't realize that Stras had a .759 OPS.

Impressive.

I know it doesn't help now, but after getting Rendon and Giolito there's an argument the Nats have gotten the best prospect in the draft 4 years in a row.
    And because of Giolito who has #1 starter material, the Nats were able to trade young promising and huge in his own right (6'9) Alex Meyer to the Twins for CF- Denard Span.

Span is about as perfect a fit for the Nats in CF as we could possibly get. He is under a cheap contract for 3+ years and has speed to burn. Getting Morse out of the outfield was priority #1 and gives the Nats three of the rangiest OF's in the league.

This trade means that one of Laroche or Morse is gone (probably Laroche) with Morse moving to 1B. Tyler Moore could also start at 1B for alot of MLB teams too.

I also would wager money that Zack Greinke will be a National very soon as well. Rizzo has always loved this guy and had a deal in place before the 2011 season. With the savings of NOT signing Laroche they will have the money to go after him.

Check out this roster:

1- CF Denard Span - Roger Bernadina
    2- LF Bryce Harper
    3- 3B Ryan Zimmerman
    4- 1B Michael Morse - Tyler Moore
    5- RF- Jayson Werth
    6- SS- Ian Desmond
    7- C Kurt Suzuki - Wilson Ramos
    8- 2B Danny Espinosa - Steve Lombardozzi

SP1- Steven Strasburg
    SP2- Gio Gonzalez
    SP3- Zach Greinke--
    SP4- Jordan Zimmerman
    SP5- Ross Detwiler

That is about as good as it gets. Throw in 3B Anthony Rendon, extremly raw and talented OF Michael Taylor, 5 tool OF Brian Goodwin and potential #2 or #3 starter Matt Purke and this team is in real good shape for the future.
    Last edited by Sakic19; 12-01-2012 at 01:03 AM.
    --Colorado Avalanche
    --San Francisco 49ers
    --Washington Nationals
    --San Antonio Spurs

Quote Originally Posted by BigFin View Post
    Your hitters, as a whole, are very pedestrian, IMO.
    Good call!
    --Colorado Avalanche
    --San Francisco 49ers
    --Washington Nationals
    --San Antonio Spurs

Some great predictions in here.
    ----------------------

if you want to follow me you should know
    I was lost then and I'm lost now
    And I doubt I'll ever know which way to go

Well this hasn't been a good start.

The Span deal looks meh. He hasn't hit for sh*t.

Espinosa is only getting worse, Rendon's gonna have to come up soon.

too bad christian garcia can never stay healthy, he's a good pitcher.

- Ghandi

Well this hasn't been a good start.

The Span deal looks meh. He hasn't hit for sh*t.

Espinosa is only getting worse, Rendon's gonna have to come up soon.

too bad christian garcia can never stay healthy, he's a good pitcher.
    Injuries have taken their toll....not many teams would survive losing their two best players (Harper and Werth) their starting catcher (Ramos), two starting pitchers (Strasburg and Detwiller) and a key reliever (Mattheus)

Injuries aside, they have still managed to play .500 ball playing with half an AAA team patched together.

Rizzo's moves have not worked out mainly letting three quality relievers go (Gorzelanny, Gonzalez and Burnett) and replacing them with Duke and Rodriquez both of whom have since been released. The bull pen was a big reason the Nats were so good this year and so far they have not been good although they are getting better.

The Haren signing was a mistake. I think the Nats make a move for a starter at the deadline if Haren continues to struggle. Good game, bad game, good game, bad game. There is no consistency with Haren and that will not cut it. Trading Morse also looks to be a bad move considering he would probably have been an every day player with us this year with all the injuries and his bat is missed in the middle of our lineup.

But the four main reasons we are struggling aside from injuries are:

1- Error's have been a huge concern mainly Zimmerman's throwing at 3B. He is getting better as his shoulder is getting healthier. But last year the Nats were excellent last year defensively and this year they are at the bottom of the rankings. This was supposed to be one of the best defesive teams in the league. I am patiently waiting.

2- Davey starting Espinosa for so long is a head-scratcher. Rendon's promotion might be the spark that we received last year when we brought Harper up. Espinosa was a gigantic black hole in the order.

3- The bench has been beyond pathetic. Last year we got major contributions from Moore (who was sent down), Lombardozzi, Bernadina and Tracy. This year they are all hitting close to .180

4- The bullpen. Like I said, losing three quality lefty releivers and Rizzo's stubborness to replace them has cost us games. The guy Rizzo said would be able to replace them have been released and Drew Storen has continued to struggle since the melt down in game 5 last year in the playoffs.

All this aside, if this team can get healthy and get their bats going, they should be able to turn the corner. They are too talented of a team. The starters have been excellent. The bullpen is shaping into form and our lineup is starting to get healthy. All that is needed is a 4th starter to replace Haren? and some better bench players.

I would rather struggle at the beginning of the season then at the end.
    Last edited by Sakic19; 06-11-2013 at 04:13 AM.
    --Colorado Avalanche
    --San Francisco 49ers
    --Washington Nationals
    --San Antonio Spurs

You're better off without Morse. He sucks.

I can't blame him for the haren move. It made a ton of sense at the time. Sometimes those moves just don't work out.

Bullpen arms are pretty fungible and not very stable. Gotta trim the payroll somewhere.

I still think they'll be back.

But sadly I think Garcia to the rotation is over as he's needed in the pen.

- Ghandi

Well the Nats 2014 roster is pretty much set. There doesn't appear to be any holes. With the starting pitching troubles in ATL I think the Nats should be favoured to win the division.

Starting Pitchers (5)
    1- RH- Stephen Strasburg
    2- LH- Gio Gonzalez
    3- RH- Jordan Zimmerman
    4- RH- Doug Fister
    5- RH- Taylor Jordan / RH- Tanner Roark

Bullpen (7)
    LH- Jerry Blevins
    LH- Ross Detwiler
    RH- Aaron Barrett
    RH- Craig Stammen
    RH- Drew Storen
    RH Setup- Tyler Clippard
    Closer- Rafael Soriano

Lineup (8)
    1) CF- Denard Span
    2) 2B- Anthony Rendon
    3) RF- Jayson Werth
    4) 3B- Ryan Zimmerman
    5) LF- Bryce Harper
    6- SS- Ian Desmond
    7) C- WIlson Ramos
    8) 1B- Adam Laroche

Bench (5)
    OF- Nate McLouth
    OF- Scott Hairston
    IF- Danny Espinosa
    2B- Jeff Kobernus / C- Sandy Leon
    C- Jose Lobaton
    --Colorado Avalanche
    --San Francisco 49ers
    --Washington Nationals
    --San Antonio Spurs

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast