Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 380
  1. #46
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Duncan, B.C., Canada
    Posts
    8,692
    That's quite possibly true but even if we had to move up from 20th or so drafting a QB who has fewer questions about his ability to run a pro offence than RG3 is a shot worth taking and perhaps not needed if Flynn turns out to be the real deal.

    In the end who really knows as it depends upon what JS and PC agree is the value of making the trade or the pick at QB now as opposed to next year..
    Last edited by jammer; 01-03-2012 at 09:07 PM.
    Seattle Seahawks, winners of SuperBowl XLVIII, what an amazing season!

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Posts
    26,821
    Even if we can't get Barkley in 2013, there are three other outstanding QB prospects in Tyler Bray, Tyler Wilson, and Aaron Murray. I hate thinking like that though, because we needed our QBOTF yesterday.

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    11,835
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverSeahawk View Post
    Even if we can't get Barkley in 2013, there are three other outstanding QB prospects in Tyler Bray, Tyler Wilson, and Aaron Murray. I hate thinking like that though, because we needed our QBOTF yesterday.
    Yeah, at a certain point you've got to pull the trigger. I think we've done this right. We've got the line. We've got the weapons. We've got a decent running game and a strong defense. We've even got an adequate bridge QB with the right intangibles to mentor the next guy. This year is the ideal year to reach out a grab him.

    IMO that guy is RGIII, but there are other options. But we need to get one of them this year. Waiting another year is a recipe for continued mediocrity.

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Duncan, B.C., Canada
    Posts
    8,692
    Every season for the past, 10 years i've lived in hope we'd draft a pass rushing DE that would make a difference and we would get Curry, or some mostly worthless schlub. The second greatest need of the team is a difference making pass rusher but it is a close second to QB. Both positions are very hard to acquire and we always seem to miss even when we draft a DE, or fail to recognize one when we have a good here (Babin). If the team's goal is to add a pass rusher this year and a QB next I'm OK with that but if we miss on both I will be seriously bummed. In Babin's case JS/PC would never have let him go like Ruskell stupidly did .

    Of course as well it has been obvious that since 2008 the team has needed to have a QB succession plan in place but at that stage the needs were at almost every position on the team thanks to Ruskell's and to be fair his predecessor's incompetent managing. Now things are getting straightened out with the OLine and at RB it is really well past obvious, at least me, that the team's greatest need is at QB, while I disagree about RG3 as I think he's too raw and will need a lot of seasoning before he can play adding him at QB at least gives us a sense that the team recognizes that TJax isn't the guy we need or truly want as the starter going forward.

    I just chaff at giving up as much as will be needed for us to trade up to get RG3. However the point is well long past when a decision like that needs to be made or we have another season of zero TE involvement, zero tight window passes, and lots more seeming mental slowness from our deemed starting QB.
    Seattle Seahawks, winners of SuperBowl XLVIII, what an amazing season!

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Hoboken NJ
    Posts
    57,401
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperHawks View Post
    Just because it is unprecedented doesn't mean it's impossible. Just like no team would ever trade their entire draft for a player right? Furthermore, it's really only two or three firsts considering we would be getting Luck in place of our first this year.
    3 years without a first round draft pick is brutal.

    FTR, how many times has a team given up the farm for a player and had it pan out?
    The trouble with the world today is the intelligent people are full of doubt and the dumb people are full of confidence - Charles Bukowski

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Gopher Hole
    Posts
    8,964
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperHawks View Post
    Just because it is unprecedented doesn't mean it's impossible. Just like no team would ever trade their entire draft for a player right? Furthermore, it's really only two or three firsts considering we would be getting Luck in place of our first this year.
    I highly doubt that the Colts would even make that trade if it were offered (although four 1st Rounders would definitely be hard to turn down). A guy like Luck (at least in present theory) only comes around once a decade in most evaluators' eyes. Crazy, because on some level I would be with you on Luck and a trade of the farm. Glad I'm not in charge. I think the Colts will field offers for sh!ts and giggles, but have no intention of trading him for anything IMO.
    Common sense is not so common. ~ Voltaire

  7. #52
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    8,224
    Quote Originally Posted by Freezer Weasel View Post
    I highly doubt that the Colts would even make that trade if it were offered (although four 1st Rounders would definitely be hard to turn down). A guy like Luck (at least in present theory) only comes around once a decade in most evaluators' eyes. Crazy, because on some level I would be with you on Luck and a trade of the farm. Glad I'm not in charge. I think the Colts will field offers for sh!ts and giggles, but have no intention of trading him for anything IMO.
    They'd trade him if he pulls an Elway or Eli.

    First round picks (probably late teen/20's going forward) are no sure thing and with JS and PC's track record in the later rounds it would make it even easier for me to pull the trigger on this.

    Luck is a once in a generation prospect at the most important position on the field and even if he ended up just being a "good" QB I wouldn't be able to fault JS/PC for being aggressive and trying to get the elite QB to win a Superbowl.

    Look at our recent 1st round picks save 2010. Anyone here who
    wouldn't trade 5 of those guys, let alone 3?

    At some point in the next year or two PC is gonna have to hitch his wagon to a franchise QB and he will either prosper or fail with said QB. If my job was on the line I think I would go balls out for the best prospect since Elway and let the chips fall where they may.

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Hoboken NJ
    Posts
    57,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Freezer Weasel View Post
    I highly doubt that the Colts would even make that trade if it were offered (although four 1st Rounders would definitely be hard to turn down). A guy like Luck (at least in present theory) only comes around once a decade in most evaluators' eyes. Crazy, because on some level I would be with you on Luck and a trade of the farm. Glad I'm not in charge. I think the Colts will field offers for sh!ts and giggles, but have no intention of trading him for anything IMO.
    The Colts would take 4 1st round picks for Luck without question especially given that one of them would be the #12 pick. They would do it right now.

    The Seahawks have only had 2 first round drafts picks 4 times in our history. 2009, 2001, 2001, and 1997.

    Too early to tell about 2009. 2001 got us arguably the best guard of the last 20 years in Hutch. Koren Robinson was a bust but Hutchinson was a lynch pin. 2000 got us Shaun Alexander and Macintosh who got hurt and never did much. 1997 got us All-World Walter Jones and arguably the best corner we ever had in Shawn Springs. So 8 picks, 2 all time greats, and at least 2 excellent players in Springs and Thomas.

    Getting 2 first round picks 3 years in a row would make the Colts the best football team in the league by year 5 with even a mediocre GM.

    Or you can roll the dice and hope that Luck really is what everyone says he will be.
    Last edited by flyerhawk; 01-04-2012 at 01:12 AM.
    The trouble with the world today is the intelligent people are full of doubt and the dumb people are full of confidence - Charles Bukowski

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Outside Buddy-ville
    Posts
    15,811
    If we grab Sanchez as our answer at QB I am going to make Hawkdawg look like Shaun Alexander's best buddy.
    "Personal foul, 69, offense. He was giving him the business."

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Gopher Hole
    Posts
    8,964
    What's your opinion on Russell Wilson? I really like this guy...
    Common sense is not so common. ~ Voltaire

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Hoboken NJ
    Posts
    57,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Freezer Weasel View Post
    What's your opinion on Russell Wilson? I really like this guy...
    5'11" really makes it difficult for him to succeed. Very few sub-6' QBs have ever been successful.
    The trouble with the world today is the intelligent people are full of doubt and the dumb people are full of confidence - Charles Bukowski

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    11,835
    Quote Originally Posted by flyerhawk View Post
    5'11" really makes it difficult for him to succeed. Very few sub-6' QBs have ever been successful.
    Drew Brees. Jeff Garcia. Mike Vick. That's a few, but they are not common by any stretch.

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    41,446
    Quote Originally Posted by McGruffHawk View Post
    Drew Brees. Jeff Garcia. Mike Vick. That's a few, but they are not common by any stretch.
    Doug Flutie, too... But Wilson isn't even at the same level as Vick and Brees or even Flutie for that matter... I don't see him as a starter in the NFL... More of a backup imo...

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Gopher Hole
    Posts
    8,964
    Quote Originally Posted by Anointed One View Post
    Doug Flutie, too... But Wilson isn't even at the same level as Vick and Brees or even Flutie for that matter... I don't see him as a starter in the NFL... More of a backup imo...
    Can't say I agree with that. The guy picked up the Wisconsin playbook so quick, the coaches were shocked. Highly intelligent. Reminds me a lot of Brees in terms of work habits. Just a matter of whether he devotes himself to football or baseball. I've watched him in quite a few games. He really reminds me of Brees, which is why I'm intrigued with him myself personally. It will be interesting if he can truly evolve at the next level if he chooses that path.
    Common sense is not so common. ~ Voltaire

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Duncan, B.C., Canada
    Posts
    8,692
    Despite being peppered with questions about his QB in his season closing 45 min press conf. yesterday PC says TJax remains the QB going forward:

    The bottom-line assessment for any and all questions remains unchanged, no matter how many times Carroll is asked about it: Jackson is the starter moving into the offseason because, “He’s our No. 1 guy in the program and that’s all we have right now,” as Carroll put it.
    http://www.seahawks.com/news/article...6-69d76ebbf235

    So much for CBJ, and so much for instant change at QB, we seem stuck with Jackson for at least another year. Carroll did say in his presser that there would be competition at the position next season but offered up the injury excuse as a reason why Jax didn't perform better, yet remained concerned about Jax inability to finish games. The press conference is worth listening to, though there is a lot of coach speak typically to be expected.

    http://www.seahawks.com/videos-photo...1-d24a7dfcab93
    Last edited by jammer; 01-04-2012 at 01:23 PM.
    Seattle Seahawks, winners of SuperBowl XLVIII, what an amazing season!

Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  






Part of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties.