Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Quarterback Search: 2012 Season

Might as well start a thread since this is gonna be a crazy debate from here to possibly April. I know Pete said that Jackson is the starter, but I clearly remember him saying that about Hass. And frankly, he has to know he's a clutch QB away from building something great here. So, it's just coach speak as we all know

I have to throw it out there. Matt Flynn. I know he's only started 2 games and it was with the Packers offense, but I've seen both games now. He was impressive. And he is mobile. Granted, he's gonna get paid, but comes with no picks being given up and essentially we could address other glaring areas of need (Pass Rush!). Unfortunately, there are no real pass rushing studs in this draft. Trading up for RG3 is a possibility. A 2nd round guy probably means we will have another year of T-Jack. I would rather have a guy who can come in and compete personally. Thoughts?
    Common sense is not so common. ~ Voltaire

Plan A - trade up forRGIII
    Plan B - trade down for Jones/Tannehill
    Plan C - Matt Flynn

No other options appeal to me in the least.

Quote Originally Posted by McGruffHawk View Post
    Plan C - Matt Flynn

This. Except I don't know if we will be able to trade down, but I agree with this.

Plan A: Drew Brees doesn't re-sign with New Orleans. Sign Drew Brees.

*Wakes up*

Quote Originally Posted by seahawksfan837 View Post
    Plan A: Drew Brees doesn't re-sign with New Orleans. Sign Drew Brees.

*Wakes up*
    LOL! I wanted us to draft him years ago, then when San Diego gave up on him. Always thought he was a stud when he was at Purdue and has lived up to that billing. Former management (Holmgren and Ruskell) missed the boat on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Freezer Weasel View Post
    LOL! I wanted us to draft him years ago, then when San Diego gave up on him. Always thought he was a stud when he was at Purdue and has lived up to that billing. Former management (Holmgren and Ruskell) missed the boat on that one.
    We got Jeremy Stevens in that draft, though! (While passing also on Ed Reed)

We got Jeremy Stevens in that draft, though! (While passing also on Ed Reed)
    It was so bad, my brother asked me just the other day who was the TE was who was like the T-Jack version of non-clutch. I brain farted and couldn't even remember. Or maybe I was trying to repress the memory of that guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Freezer Weasel View Post
    It was so bad, my brother asked me just the other day who was the TE was who was like the T-Jack version of non-clutch. I brain farted and couldn't even remember. Or maybe I was trying to repress the memory of that guy.
    It was a horrid draft. Probably the worst this team has ever seen.

But we did draft a guy who has turned into a VERY good coach for us . . .

It was a horrid draft. Probably the worst this team has ever seen.

But we did draft a guy who has turned into a VERY good coach for us . . .
    Every one of those picks were absolute reaches. Some guys I don't think even deserved to be drafted.

Matt Flynn is as we know is an unrestricted free agent, so unless the Packers franchise him, he could be added w/o our trading a draft pick. This allows us the ability going forward to improve the pass rush or to bank a future 1st rd. draft pick for the potential of acquiring Barkley. In this regard the team will have a lot of available cap to play with if they want him.

If anyone in the league has a solid insight into Matt Flynn's ability to be a starting QB with a higher ceilings than Jackson it is JS. Maybe their plan is simpler than we know.

The team needs to become more consistent and better at rushing the passer. The ST blocking and coverage units need to be upgraded. There is also a need for more Oline depth, a 3 tech rusher who an collapse the pocket, and a stud pass rusher.
    Seattle Seahawks, winners of SuperBowl XLVIII, what an amazing season!

JMR is offline defender of the high life
    Less than 1 page to go from 2012 QB search to 2002 draft re-cap? Nice...

I suppose we would all be happy with a trade-up for RG3, but we probably ought to be prepared for that not happening. There may be quite a few interesting names available this off-season. What are the Raiders going to do with Jason Campbell? Would PC entertain a reunion with Leinart? Or Sanchez? What happens with Manning? Does it make sense for the Panthers to keep the ND QB they drafted early in '10? Is Denver still as committed to Tebow with the way the last few weeks went? They also have Brady Quinn, right? David Garrard probably ends up somewhere. Pennington plans to come back after taking this year off, I believe. I don't much about him, but Flynn's name is tossed around a lot.

Some options are better than others, but there seems to be no shortage of QBs available. Everyone has their own opinion on who is or isn't an upgrade, but I suppose how aggressively we pursue any of them in the early free agency period probably indicates what our draft intentions are....or validates PC's commitment to Jackson. Going to be an interesting off-season.
    U MAD BRO??

I got a feeling that Tannehill is moving up in the draft. With the way teams reached for QBs last draft, Tannehill may be gone before the Hawk's pick #11/12. He further enhanced his stock with a good bowl game win. CBS Sportsline has a mock draft with Washington taking Tannehill at pick #7. In a perfect world, Washington, who obviously, is desperate for a QB, would trade up with the Rams and take RG3, increasing the chance for a QB to be available for the Hawks. I don't want Jones in the 1st round after his poor season this year. I've read about his accuracy issues as well and his lack of a take charge mentaility in the huddle.

Quote Originally Posted by JMR View Post
    Less than 1 page to go from 2012 QB search to 2002 draft re-cap? Nice...

I suppose we would all be happy with a trade-up for RG3, but we probably ought to be prepared for that not happening. There may be quite a few interesting names available this off-season. What are the Raiders going to do with Jason Campbell? Would PC entertain a reunion with Leinart? Or Sanchez? What happens with Manning? Does it make sense for the Panthers to keep the ND QB they drafted early in '10? Is Denver still as committed to Tebow with the way the last few weeks went? They also have Brady Quinn, right? David Garrard probably ends up somewhere. Pennington plans to come back after taking this year off, I believe. I don't much about him, but Flynn's name is tossed around a lot.

Some options are better than others, but there seems to be no shortage of QBs available. Everyone has their own opinion on who is or isn't an upgrade, but I suppose how aggressively we pursue any of them in the early free agency period probably indicates what our draft intentions are....or validates PC's commitment to Jackson. Going to be an interesting off-season.
    Some interesting thoughts, but the only QB you named above that I would be interested in is Manning. I think there are good reasons the rest of those QBs might be available this off-season.

If Manning checks out healthy and isn't brought back, I think you have to take a serious look at him. He's one of, if not the greatest of all time in my book. He might not be everything he used to be, but he took that same 2-14 Colts team to a 10-6 record last year. He makes up for a lot deficiencies, and we don't have nearly as many as the Colts. The best part is that he is such an artist in the pocket that he can really minimize the struggles of an OL.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfan View Post
    I got a feeling that Tannehill is moving up in the draft.
    I think you're right. He seems to be the new Ponder. Personally, I'm not huge on Tannehill, but if he's available at our spot, my TV wouldn't necessarily be in danger if we took him.

Plan C - Matt Flynn

I don't want to give up a lot to move up for Griffin III... If he doesn't pan out, we'd set our franchise back.... I wouldn't rule out Manning either as an option if the Colts cut him... We have the pcs to compete...
    Last edited by Anointed One; 01-03-2012 at 07:24 PM.

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast