Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Given what we saw against the Huskies I'm not that sure that Griffin will be drafted in the top 5 picks, regardless of the hype surrounding him. If we draft @ 12th (worst case) we'd only need to move ahead of #9 Miami to snag Griffin, thus it depends upon the view the team has of him and what we could convince Carolina to take to trade down to 12th. If the FO think he's the real deal then the trade down will be made w/o question.

If not, we will see more of Jackson or maybe Flynn or another we presently haven't keyed upon yet. To me I wonder if it isn't the time for the team to keep building the D and restocking the OLine than spending a lot of draft capital upon a rookie who will need to sit for at least most of a season before he is ready to try to lead the team going forward.

This may finally be the season where the team can fix the pass rush while spending more draft capital on the OLine. If we got lucky and could trade up for our 1st and 2nd I'd be happy, but I'd be happier if we snagged Flynn or another high potential and fairly young QB in FA so we could keep our early picks.

As far as the approach ultimately taken by the FO, I have confidence they know more about Flynn than most other teams. Otherwise if CBJ and TJax are their view of what the team needs I'm less confident, but somehow accept the likelihood that Jax was the best available candidate at the best price and CBJ was simply a major need and they though he might be a unrecognized diamond in the rough instead of an underachieving 3rd stringer. As it it turns out they were wrong on both guys being special and anything close to being acceptable.as the QBOTF.
    Seattle Seahawks, winners of SuperBowl XLVIII, what an amazing season!

Quote Originally Posted by jammer View Post
    Given what we saw against the Huskies I'm not that sure that Griffin will be drafted in the top 5 picks, regardless of the hype surrounding him. If we draft @ 12th (worst case) we'd only need to move ahead of #9 Miami to snag Griffin, thus it depends upon the view the team has of him and what we could convince Carolina to take to trade down to 12th. If the FO think he's the real deal then the trade down will be made w/o question.
    Aren't you missing the Redskins in your formula above? And if the Hawks FO thinks RG3 is the real deal, won't several other teams feel the same way (teams in better draft position than the Hawks such as Cleveland, Washington, Miami and possibly even Buffalo)? The Redskins have a huge need at QB and I don't see RG3 falling past them at #6. If Miami wants RG3 they'll most likely have to trade ahead of the Redskins and possibly even Cleveland. I don't think RG3 hurt himself in the Alamo Bowl. He may not have been amazing, but he performed well enough to make sure teams that liked him before most likely still do. I expect him gone by pick #5. Wouldn't be surprised to see the Redskins trade up to #2 to ensure they get him. The Rams will be offering this pick since they don't need a QB, and dropping to only #6 makes the Redskins a good trade partner.

Quote Originally Posted by McGruffHawk View Post
    Plan A - trade up forRGIII
    Plan B - trade down for Jones/Tannehill
    Plan C - Matt Flynn

No other options appeal to me in the least.
    Swap plans B and C and I'm with you. Which raises the question...what would you offer for Flynn if the Pack were to franchise him (as the Pats did with Cassell)? I'm thinking our second rounder and some later picks (5th, 7th, whatever) and maybe a conditional pick next year. I'd also consider swapping firsts IF the Pack were to throw something in to sweeten the pot some.
    "I believe it is the duty of each of us to act as if the fate of the world depended on him. Admittedly, one man by himself cannot do the job. However, one man can make a difference."

JMR is online now defender of the high life
    I know he's a weeden bit old, but OSU's QB looks studly to me. He could make some team quite happy for a handful of years, which is about what we got out of Matt once he arrived and before his #s declined.
    U MAD BRO??

Quote Originally Posted by JMR View Post
    I know he's a weeden bit old, but OSU's QB looks studly to me. He could make some team quite happy for a handful of years, which is about what we got out of Matt once he arrived and before his #s declined.
    I've been saying the same thing. I really like Weeden. He may not be a long-term franchise QB, but he buys us some time and he looks like he has all the tools to succeed in the NFL fairly early. If we don't take a QB round 1 and he's there in round 2, that may be early, but I'd pull the trigger if I was JS.

This is NOT an I-told-you-so and I'm NOT suggesting this is who our 2012 QB should be, but didn't know where else to put this and we're going to hash, re-hash, and hash all this same discussion 20 or 30 times in the next 3 months anyway....

Matt's final numbers for the season: 3500 yds, 18 TDs, 14 INTs, 82 Rating. I would say that's not too bad given his best WR went down for the season early and Chris Johnson was horrible a majority of the team.

Again, no real over-arching point to this, just thought it was interesting.
    U MAD BRO??

On Matt Flynn:

Just saw the week 17 highlights. I dunno. His #s were great, of course, but tons of YAC there that he gets credit for. He threw plenty of accurate passes but the arm strength didn't blow me away. Not saying he isn't or wouldn't be good, but he isn't out there throwing darts.
    U MAD BRO??

On Matt Flynn:

Just saw the week 17 highlights. I dunno. His #s were great, of course, but tons of YAC there that he gets credit for. He threw plenty of accurate passes but the arm strength didn't blow me away. Not saying he isn't or wouldn't be good, but he isn't out there throwing darts.
    U MAD BRO??

This is NOT an I-told-you-so and I'm NOT suggesting this is who our 2012 QB should be, but didn't know where else to put this and we're going to hash, re-hash, and hash all this same discussion 20 or 30 times in the next 3 months anyway....

Matt's final numbers for the season: 3500 yds, 18 TDs, 14 INTs, 82 Rating. I would say that's not too bad given his best WR went down for the season early and Chris Johnson was horrible a majority of the team.

I was probably the most vocal in favor of NOT re-signing Hasselbeck, and even I acknowledged that the Titans were a good fit for him. Two of the best tackles in the game provided elite protection for him. He lost Britt, but Washington stepped up too.

My argument was that he shouldn't be brought back to Seattle, because he is too injury prone/turnover prone/immobile behind our weak pass protecting line. I still believe he would have had a poor year, assuming he even survived the first two weeks here. He needed a team that could adequately protect him.

I love Matt and I'm happy for him that he had a pretty good 2011. Doesn't really surprise me. When we let him go I thought the reason was because we wanted to groom Whitehurst and that couldn't happen with Hass here. So I was in favor of letting him go. When it turned out that they simply wanted to give the job to Jackson I was none too happy.
    The trouble with the world today is the intelligent people are full of doubt and the dumb people are full of confidence - Charles Bukowski

Matt showed early on in the season that he could still play, but he certainly wore down as the season went on and dents and dings took their toll. I'm glad he had a good game on Sunday, as it might be his last start as "The Guy".
    "I believe it is the duty of each of us to act as if the fate of the world depended on him. Admittedly, one man by himself cannot do the job. However, one man can make a difference."

On Matt Flynn:

I can see Flynn being another Hass type QB. Smart, accurate, but above average to good (on a good day) arm strength. Flynn can make all the throws, but you're right: noone is going to mistake him for Marino out there.

So our options it seems would be, in no particular order...

1. Trade up for RG3. That will likely cost an awful lot, Realistically we would need to move up to at least 5 and the Bucs to get him. I don't think that is a good risk. According to the draft chart that would mean our 1st, 2nd and 5th rounder. I suspect it will cost more than that. I just don't see that being a good risk for a guy who really doesn't have much of a resume.

2. Draft Tannenhill - I think Jones stays another year. He's stock has really fallen off as the year went on. He needs another year to build it back up. I suspect Tannenhill is going to shoot up the board and trading down for him won't be an option. The NFL is a QB league now and thus QBs are valued at a huge premium.

3. Take someone late in the draft(post round 3). Lots of guys in this range. Low risk and not much chance of success.

4. Sign Matt Flynn - He will be a UFA this offseason and it is hard to see the Packers put the franchise tag on him and have him eat up 10+ million in cap space and also allow Finley to become a UFA. As a UFA he is a compelling option given how well the Pack seems to churn out QBs. Not much resume but what little he has is pretty good.

5. Trade for Peyton Manning - I suspect that the Colts will trade Peyton if they can get a good deal. IMO, that may mean a 1st rounder. I doubt we would need to give up #12 so we could trade down and still get Manning potentially.

6. Trade for Mark Sanchez - His value is at rock bottom right now. 3rd year QB who has shown he can succeed. Needs to get his priorities in order but I think PC could do that. Moving to a small market might be just the thing for Sanchez.

Am I missing anything?

IMO, I like 6,4,5,2,3,1 in that order.
    The trouble with the world today is the intelligent people are full of doubt and the dumb people are full of confidence - Charles Bukowski

Quote Originally Posted by jammer View Post
    Given what we saw against the Huskies I'm not that sure that Griffin will be drafted in the top 5 picks, regardless.
    I don't get this comment? He was very good against UW in the Alamo Bowl...

I'll be surprised if Luck Griffin aren't drafted 1 & 2 overall...

Quote Originally Posted by flyerhawk View Post
    So our options it seems would be, in no particular order...

1. Trade up for RG3. That will likely cost an awful lot, Realistically we would need to move up to at least 5 and the Bucs to get him. I don't think that is a good risk. According to the draft chart that would mean our 1st, 2nd and 5th rounder. I suspect it will cost more than that. I just don't see that being a good risk for a guy who really doesn't have much of a resume.

2. Draft Tannenhill - I think Jones stays another year. He's stock has really fallen off as the year went on. He needs another year to build it back up. I suspect Tannenhill is going to shoot up the board and trading down for him won't be an option. The NFL is a QB league now and thus QBs are valued at a huge premium.

3. Take someone late in the draft(post round 3). Lots of guys in this range. Low risk and not much chance of success.

4. Sign Matt Flynn - He will be a UFA this offseason and it is hard to see the Packers put the franchise tag on him and have him eat up 10+ million in cap space and also allow Finley to become a UFA. As a UFA he is a compelling option given how well the Pack seems to churn out QBs. Not much resume but what little he has is pretty good.

5. Trade for Peyton Manning - I suspect that the Colts will trade Peyton if they can get a good deal. IMO, that may mean a 1st rounder. I doubt we would need to give up #12 so we could trade down and still get Manning potentially.

6. Trade for Mark Sanchez - His value is at rock bottom right now. 3rd year QB who has shown he can succeed. Needs to get his priorities in order but I think PC could do that. Moving to a small market might be just the thing for Sanchez.

Am I missing anything?

IMO, I like 6,4,5,2,3,1 in that order.
    Nice post... Like you, #1 is my least favorite... I don't like the risk of throwing out that many picks for a guy that doesn't have much of a track record...

I'm not against trading for Sanchez either... I think we could get him for a 2nd rounder...

Depends on what we do with Lynch & Red... I think we have to resign both but if we don't, then i'd like to have that pick to draft a RB with our first rounder... Or at least a DE...

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast