Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    90% of the draft hinges on Tannehill.

Martin was a great value pick in the 2nd. I have been kinda worried about Long leaving in FA after next season, with us drafting Martin to eventually replace him.

Vernon has the physical tools but needs more development.

Egnew would've been a 1st round TE if he was at least an average blocker for the position.

I always liked Rishard Matthews. He and BJ Cunningham SHOULD knock out the back 2 guys in our 5-man WR corp. (Moore and Wallace?)

This is definitely a "potential" draft.

From what I understand, they feel extremely good about Egnew actually being able to block more than advertised.

But yes, this draft basically comes down to whether or not Tannehill becomes the guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyke1doe
    Brady has led Super Bowl teams to last-minute victories. Boller has led his team into the cafeteria.

I really liked this draft. Obviously, Tannehill is the question mark, but I feel better about his potential than I have for a Dolphins quarterback in a while. As long as they don't rush him into a disaster, he should be a good one.

Martin should be gold on the right side. Wonder if Murtha is athletic enough to play guard.

It's crazy to think that there's a chance all of the picks could stick, but I thought they got good value across the board and wouldn't be surprised if that were the case. If I had to pick one guy not to make the club, Randall is probably it. Kaddu can at least contribute to special teams, and I do think both of the receivers will get into the receiver rotation.
    I'm going to type every word I know! Rectangle. America. Megaphone. Monday. Butthole.

Did anyone notice that we signed Jeff Fuller as a UDFA? He's Texas A&M's all-time leader in receptions, yards, and touchdowns. Not only does this bode well for Tannehill's transition (The Tanchise?), but Fuller actually carried a 1st to 2nd round grade coming into the 2011 football season. Some drops, an injury, and questionable speed placed him in the ranks of the undrafted. I fully expect him to make the team.

I do think both of the receivers will get into the receiver rotation
    Fuller, Cunningham, and Matthews can actually play WR - unlike Moore, Wallace, Gates, and Pruitt. These guys need not be in Miami anymore.
    Last edited by BigFin; 05-26-2012 at 11:44 PM.

Has anybody been looking ahead at 2013 draft prospects? Two guys I'll be watching like hawks are wide receivers Robert Woods from USC and Keenan Allen from Cal. Both juniors with a 1st round grade heading into this season, but Woods is considered some sort of 2nd coming by some. I'd love to have both of them.

Allen highlights:

Woods highlights:

Also, keep an eye out for Da'Rick Rogers and Justin Hunter, both juniors at Tennessee, and Terrance Williams a senior at Baylor.
    Last edited by BigFin; 05-18-2012 at 11:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Complaints Dept View Post
    So, who thinks we're drafting another lineman?
    Wouldn't be surprised if OT Matthews from Texas A&M were the pick this year, depending on what's available at WR when we pick.

Speaking of, anybody have thoughts on Tayvon Austin in the 2nd if he's there? Small, I know, but still...

(Yes, my spirit is crushed by the last two losses, so I'm looking ahead to April. Hate losing close games to really good teams.)
    I'm going to type every word I know! Rectangle. America. Megaphone. Monday. Butthole.

My dream offseason would be signing Mike Wallace, Andy Levitre, and Louis Delmas (local kid). We'd let go Long and Starks, among others. This would allow us to take Te'o, a DE, or OT with the 1st pick.

This team needs help at wide receiver, tight end and cornerback so badly that I don't even know how the team will fix those trainwrecks and still be able to shore up the glaring problems on the offensive line and acquire some depth at linebacker. Any time Jason Trusnik is on the field, the other team is going to score some points. I can not wait to be rid of Jake Long and his over-inflated salary. What a waste.

The only real upside in all of this is that Tannehill will get fifteen games under his belt and we'll be able to make a fair evaluation of him next season when he hopefully actually has something resembling an NFL caliber offense to work with.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyke1doe
    Brady has led Super Bowl teams to last-minute victories. Boller has led his team into the cafeteria.

WR Markus Wheaton from Oregon State looks really good to me. He has great speed and looks to be a fast riser.

Anybody know what the word is on Margus Hunt from SMU? Seems raw but seriously disruptive. I don't catch much college football, and SMU isn't on my radar, so not sure if it's a level of competition thing or what.

Also: what are the odds Ryan Swope winds up in Miami? Seems like a gimme, especially if Hartline gets priced out of our range.

Quote Originally Posted by dcten View Post
    Anybody know what the word is on Margus Hunt from SMU? Seems raw but seriously disruptive. I don't catch much college football, and SMU isn't on my radar, so not sure if it's a level of competition thing or what.
    He's 26-ish and raw. Not a good combination.

Quote Originally Posted by dcten View Post
    Also: what are the odds Ryan Swope winds up in Miami? Seems like a gimme, especially if Hartline gets priced out of our range.
    He seems to be a slot guy. I wouldn't take him until the 3rd. I think some team in need of a slot guy will take him in the 2nd round.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFin View Post
    He's 26-ish and raw. Not a good combination.
    I would be concerned about his rawness. On the other hand, his rare size and athleticism could be worth a look. Seems he is moving up boards, but I wouldn't want to use anything higher than a 3rd on him.

He seems to be a slot guy. I wouldn't take him until the 3rd. I think some team in need of a slot guy will take him in the 2nd round.
    The 3rd is where I had him pegged. Still many receivers I would want ahead of him, but could see him in Miami.

Just some random thoughts:

Considering the depth of WR in this draft compared to other positions, not to mention what could be coming via free agency, really don't think WR will be the 1st round pick. Personal preference would be CB at this point. Preference would be Xavier Rhodes there, actually, instead of Milliner. Either would be fine, of course. Trufant is a bit too much of a reach at 12.

I think CB should be doubled down on in this draft, too, regardless of what happens with Sean Smith. And if Smith does jet, I wouldn't mind a third being taken.

WR should be a two-pick position, too, if one isn't brought in via free agency.

As big of a need as TE is, hard to know what kind of quality will be available in the mid rounds, which is where I would prefer to see them draft one, unless they trade down in the 1st and get another 2nd or 3rd in the deal.

Also on board with the thinking of drafting another QB if Matt Moore isn't re-signed. But honestly, I wouldn't do that before the 5th.

It's going to be very hard to screw up our #1 pick. There looks to be quality guys at WR, DE, OT, OG, and CB available when we pick. Maybe we trade down a few spots and take Jonathan Cooper who looks like an elite RG in our ZBS.

But right now, I really like Cordarrelle Patterson out of Tennesse and think he's worth a shot, even if we land Jennings or Wallace in free agency. If we go in a different direction, I like Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma and Jonathan Cooper, RG, UNC in a trade down. I like Kyle Long if he's there with our late 2nd round pick. I like Ryan Swope if he's there with our early 3rd round pick. Besides having a report with Tannehill and knowing the offense, he could replace Bess in the slot during the 2014 season. I like a bunch of CB's and TE's Kelce and Escobar during Day 2.

The key to this offseason is filling 3 holes with VERY GOOD PLAYERS before the draft even begins: If we land Mike Wallace, Andy Levitre, and Paul Kruger/Anthony Bennett going into the draft, we'll be in great shape. Regardless, I don't think we'll fill every hole this offseason, between not re-signing our own and whiffing on others.

Definitely on board with Cordarrelle Patterson as the pick if they do go WR in the first. Kyle Long in the second is another I've considered.

Other TEs to consider in later rounds (4th and later) would be Ryan Otten, Dion Sims, and Zach Sudfeld. Sims injury history is a major concern, but his size and athleticism are nice.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast