Page 16 of 57 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Muscle View Post
    When you refer to Season 2, are you talking about the season that just ended (Vengeance) , or the season that was technically season 2 (Gods of the Arena), but is the prequel?

Season 1: Blood and Sand (13 Episodes)
    Season 2: Gods of the Arena (prequel to Blood and Sand because Andy Whitfield was sick) (6 Episodes)
    Season 3: Vengeance (10 Episodes)
    Vengeance. I call Gods of the Arena a prequel still. Call me old fashioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyped View Post
    Comments:

I have decided to not get into a nerd fight over the LofR....LOL.

As for Spartacus...I saw the film with Kirk Douglas...it was great, but the TV series is all kinds of awesome..it basically tosses the audience fastball after fastball...fast paced...a lotta violence and nudity...just great stuff...like an all you can eat buffet rather than a fine plate of steak.
    lol, internet civility, what is this? xD

Btw, my friend came up with the all time best "worst" cast member for LOTR. Hulk Hogan as Legolas, "I hear foul voices in the air brother!"

I dont think its Kurbrick's style more than it being how long movies were back in the day....
    I don't know, I've fallen asleep before on Paths of Glory and Dr. Strangelove, and they're short. Also have fallen asleep on 2001 and Lolita. See what I mean? Now I can definitely argue I was very tired for some of those viewings, but... I even fell asleep during Full Metal Jacket, but that was on a Monday in the evening after a full day of classes.

I do love The Shining and get through that one.

Quote Originally Posted by StillSwinging View Post
    I don't know, I've fallen asleep before on Paths of Glory and Dr. Strangelove, and they're short. Also have fallen asleep on 2001 and Lolita. See what I mean? Now I can definitely argue I was very tired for some of those viewings, but... I even fell asleep during Full Metal Jacket, but that was on a Monday in the evening after a full day of classes.

*wow* Let's just say Kubrick isn't your style of director and leave it at that.
    Last edited by PatsFan2003; 04-15-2012 at 04:51 PM.

Comments:

I have decided to not get into a nerd fight over the LofR....LOL.

As for Spartacus...I saw the film with Kirk Douglas...it was great, but the TV series is all kinds of awesome..it basically tosses the audience fastball after fastball...fast paced...a lotta violence and nudity...just great stuff...like an all you can eat buffet rather than a fine plate of steak.
    It definitely sounds like a fast paced exciting series. I don't get HBO though. The film had action sequences but not nearly as many as one would think. The best part of the film to me was more often the back stories. The Roman angle with Lawrence Olivier, Peter Ustinov and Charles Laughton and the Gladiator school.

OT again, but Girls (HBO show)

Ugh...where do I begin? Mumblecore, nepotism, made-for-hipster TV, the most unattractive sex scene in years. Even though I can sadly relate to some of the mid-twentysomething's problems after college, I could not stand the writing and acting from almost everyone on screen. This is basically everything that's wrong with comedy this decade.

To be fair...Full Metal Jacket climaxed when that fat dude shot himself...the rest of the movie was so-so.

You should give Dr. Strangelove another try...IMO it was a comedy....
    "I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." - Groucho Marx

To be fair...Full Metal Jacket climaxed when that fat dude shot himself...the rest of the movie was so-so.
    The 2nd part isn't bad but the first half is so amazing that the second half can't compare

It's one of my favorite dark comedies. I think some of it is dated. It helps if you have a feel for the 1960's Cold War rhetoric.

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFan2003 View Post

It's one of my favorite dark comedies. I think some of it is dated. It helps if you have a feel for the 1960's Cold War rhetoric.
    My favorite part was near the end when they suggested adding fine babes to the collection of scientists, scholars, etc...
    "I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." - Groucho Marx

My favorite part was near the end when they suggested adding fine babes to the collection of scientists, scholars, etc...
    Oh absolutely.

General "Buck" Turgidson: Doctor, you mentioned the ratio of ten women to each man. Now, wouldn't that necessitate the abandonment of the so-called monogamous sexual relationship, I mean, as far as men were concerned?
    Dr. Strangelove: Regrettably, yes. But it is, you know, a sacrifice required for the future of the human race. I hasten to add that since each man will be required to do prodigious...service along these lines, the women will have to be selected for their sexual characteristics which will have to be of a highly stimulating nature.
    Ambassador de Sadesky: I must confess, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor.

Oh and when Turgidson then starts screaming about a "Mine gap" he's just echoing Kennedy who ran on a "missile gap" with the Russia.

You're right about FMJ's premature climax.

I've watched Dr. Strangelove about 4 times.

Tree Of Life - Definantly not for all, I thought it had some stunning shots but also it got boring in spots where I looked to see how much time I had left in the film. It is a beautiful shot film , and everyone gives a solid performance, it just gets a little boring at times.

C+
    "You don't understand, there was shrinkage."

I watched Tree of Life last week. It looked beautiful, but I just don't get along with Malick's artsy "human beings and plot are irrelevant" style of filmmaking. He's not for me.

The Decsendants

Enjoyed it very much so.

I watched Tree of Life last week. It looked beautiful, but I just don't get along with Malick's artsy "human beings and plot are irrelevant" style of filmmaking. He's not for me.
    Me either. My brother is into him but I find his films dull.

Page 16 of 57 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast