Page 15 of 57 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    I watched Colombiana the other night too. It is like a lesser version of The Professional/Salt/Hanna. You can tell Luc Besson wrote it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyped View Post
    I tried to start reading the triology by first reading the Hobbit as a prequel...I couldn't get past 20 pages...I hate middle earth fantasy crap....gimme a murder mystery any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Anyhow, from reading the Hobbit I at least was able to glean what a Hobbit is...basically a touchy feely creature that doesn't travel...and lives in grass houses... Nonetheless, I was annoyed by the acting between Astin/Wood...I liked the rest of the movies...but those two and Gollum ruined it for me... Gollum...I get..he's a desperate creature...but the whole thing was just a step up better than Jar Jar Binks.
    The first two godfather movies are better than any of the LofR movies...and I'd rank the 3rd Gf movie behind all LofR movies....the first 2 gf movies really carry the triology for me...

I think Jar-Jar Binks is just a terrible character. At least with Gollum there was this glimmering vestige of the original Hobbit that kept fighting to get out (and was eventually overwhelmed). The movie had many great scenes of that. (But again that's me).

Yeah the LOTR is an acquired taste I guess. And it's not something you can force people to like.

I read the Hobbit 1st and liked it but it was the Trilogy that was much better. The Hobbit is actually closest to a "childrens" book then the trilogy itself. In the Hobbit the first meeting between Bilbo and Gollum where Bilbo "tricks" Gollum out of the ring is important I guess but it's just one episode of a fanciful adventure where the Trilogy has more adult themes (I think).

The first book Fellowship of the Ring is my favorte (and my favorite movie as well) just because characters like Strider and Gandalf were less "god-like" in the beginning. I thought the Black Riders are reallly well done in the book. If you want want to try again, that might be the book to try, although, yes, the beginning is about those silly Hobbits and in there is a section with this character called Tom Bombadil who is also sort of silly but the rest of the book is great imo. The escape from the Black Riders is more desperate, Strider is better, the Mines of Moria is still great. What can I say?
    Last edited by PatsFan2003; 04-12-2012 at 10:08 PM.

OT, but I watched the first episode of that Spartacus show. That's a bummer to learn the lead actor died after one season.

Quote Originally Posted by StillSwinging View Post
    OT, but I watched the first episode of that Spartacus show. That's a bummer to learn the lead actor died after one season.
    I envy you man....

When you finish the season...go to Gods of the Arena...then season 2...in S2 only 2 characters are replaced...and one replacement is good...the other a bit so so...
    "I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." - Groucho Marx

S1 takes a few epsiodes to get going but once it does, it's so damn great.
    "You don't understand, there was shrinkage."

I tried to start reading the triology by first reading the Hobbit as a prequel...I couldn't get past 20 pages...I hate middle earth fantasy crap....gimme a murder mystery any day of the week and twice on Sundays.
    If you want to read some fantasy as an adult, why would you pick a kid's story? George R. R. Martin, Joe Abercrombie, Paul Kearney... I can give you 100 different titles knowing what kind of TV shows etc you like that would be a better intro to fantasy.

but those two and Gollum ruined it for me... Gollum...I get..he's a desperate creature...but the whole thing was just a step up better than Jar Jar Binks.
    Now we're getting into MSF duel time I think. Heh.

And no, no, no... no gay angle with Frodo and Sam. It's about FRIENDSHIP, and how despite being the HERO, Frodo doesn't succeed without the average everyday gardner Sam, and ironically without the evil Gollum.
    "the blade itself incites to violence." - Homer

--

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - Kung fu Monkey

Philly,

You are an idiot if you think LofR is better than GF.

I agree with 13 Assassins...really good movie.
    Then dot the i's and cross the t's, I'm an idiot. xD

Spartacus is an excellent show, and while the 2nd Spartacus is not nearly as good as the first there is enough intrigue and crazy **** to keep making the show watchable. I mean the ending of the Season 1 is great, but the ending of Season 2 is OMFG WAT?!?!??!?! It's ridiculous. Not to mention the return of my favorite dual wielding gladiator. Lastly, while i'm not opposed to tons of sex in a show, I think Season 2 has the perfect balance of blood and boobies for anyone to love.

EDIT: I decided I needed to comment on the whole Sam/Frodo love connection. Just two things, 1) it's handled much better in the books (duh), and 2) it is one of the few things I dislike about the trilogy as a whole. That and the 10 different endings of ROTK.

I saw 'Martha Marcy May Marlene' last night, really interesting and creepy film about the psychological effects of being in a cult.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."
    -Kurt Vonnegut "Mother Night"

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyE2Heart View Post
    Then dot the i's and cross the t's, I'm an idiot. xD

Spartacus is an excellent show, and while the 2nd Spartacus is not nearly as good as the first there is enough intrigue and crazy **** to keep making the show watchable. I mean the ending of the Season 1 is great, but the ending of Season 2 is OMFG WAT?!?!??!?! It's ridiculous. Not to mention the return of my favorite dual wielding gladiator. Lastly, while i'm not opposed to tons of sex in a show, I think Season 2 has the perfect balance of blood and boobies for anyone to love.
    When you refer to Season 2, are you talking about the season that just ended (Vengeance) , or the season that was technically season 2 (Gods of the Arena), but is the prequel?

Season 1: Blood and Sand (13 Episodes)
    Season 2: Gods of the Arena (prequel to Blood and Sand because Andy Whitfield was sick) (6 Episodes)
    Season 3: Vengeance (10 Episodes)

Spartacus is pretty damn cool overall, but that slo mo massive amounts of blood letting sh*t can get annoying.
    The world is a toll-free toilet
    Our mouths neurological ass0s
    And psychologically speaking
    We're in a state of mental diarrhea
    Talking sh*t a mile a minute
    Or in a state of constipated notions
    Can't think of nothin' but sh*t, and in this world of stinky futures
    Sh*tty memories and constipated 19 now-nows
    Emerges from the hiney of your head the doo doo chasers
    The Promentalsh*tbackwashpsychosisenemasquad
    Bringing you music to get your sh*t together by

Quote Originally Posted by CalgaryHawkFan View Post
    If you want to read some fantasy as an adult, why would you pick a kid's story? George R. R. Martin, Joe Abercrombie, Paul Kearney... I can give you 100 different titles knowing what kind of TV shows etc you like that would be a better intro to fantasy.

Now we're getting into MSF duel time I think. Heh.

And no, no, no... no gay angle with Frodo and Sam. It's about FRIENDSHIP, and how despite being the HERO, Frodo doesn't succeed without the average everyday gardner Sam, and ironically without the evil Gollum.
    There's no question the relationship between Frodo and Sam is better done in the books. Sam is as much a hero as Frodo and typifies the steadfastness and quiet courage of the British working class. I liked the treatment of Gollum n the movies..

Saw the Descendents last night. A good film but a depressing film. It's not a comedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Breed View Post
    Spartacus is pretty damn cool overall, but that slo mo massive amounts of blood letting sh*t can get annoying.
    Of the people that like the Spartacus series, how many saw the original movie and what did they think?

Comments:

I have decided to not get into a nerd fight over the LofR....LOL.

As for Spartacus...I saw the film with Kirk Douglas...it was great, but the TV series is all kinds of awesome..it basically tosses the audience fastball after fastball...fast paced...a lotta violence and nudity...just great stuff...like an all you can eat buffet rather than a fine plate of steak.
    "I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFan2003 View Post
    Of the people that like the Spartacus series, how many saw the original movie and what did they think?
    I was bored, but a guilty admission of mine is that I get tired during a lot of Kubrick's work. I generally don't go for stories set in ancient Rome. I think they call it the "swords and sandals" genre.

I was bored, but a guilty admission of mine is that I get tired during a lot of Kubrick's work. I generally don't go for stories set in ancient Rome. I think they call it the "swords and sandals" genre.
    I dont think its Kurbrick's style more than it being how long movies were back in the day....

Page 15 of 57 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast