Page 5 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The Q View Post
    if they can get away with trading Johan, trading Liriano will be cake.
    The only reason that the Twins got away with that is that Target Field was approved (Santana's health since then is also a factor). That equity of the new stadium will last a few seasons, but the real fans won't continue to be satisfied, especially if Jim Pohlad starts doing an impression of his dad when it comes to spending money.
    "I rooted for the Russians in 1980 because they were the better team." - Twolvesguy

Apparently both Blackburn and Duensing were handed spots in the rotation this weekend, leaving Baker and Slowey to compete for the #5 spot.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."
    -Kurt Vonnegut "Mother Night"

Quote Originally Posted by The Q View Post
    if they can get away with trading Johan, trading Liriano will be cake.
    Someone's looking to start a fight. That is about as apples and oranges comparison as it gets....and you know it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fandango View Post
    Apparently both Blackburn and Duensing were handed spots in the rotation this weekend, leaving Baker and Slowey to compete for the #5 spot.
    Yeah I saw that too...

Isn't it a little early in spring to be handing out rotations spots in a true competition like we have??? I wonder if that means Blackburn's arm looks that good or if it means Baker's arm looks that bad?!?

If you were giving odds on if the Twins will trade one of their 6 starters come April, what kinds of odds would you give....25%, 50%, a sure thing???

I would really like the idea of having an extra starter heading into the season if we didn't have to stick one of them in the bullpen. Its too bad Slowey doesn't have options left where we let him stay warm in the minors until he was needed. That is the main reason I see a trade likely (although the Twins will not just give him away)....and in the end I think it is Slowey that is shipped.

It might be possible the Twins come north with all 6 on their roster just to see if an injury or two doesn't happen (or if another team's rotation just fails) to see if they can't maximize trade value and look to ship one of the starters by mid-May or so. We all know how April has a tendency to over-tax a bullpen....might not be a bad thing having a guy out there that can go 3-4 innings every 4th day or so for you.
    Last edited by ducky; 03-07-2011 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ducky View Post
    Isn't it a little early in spring to be handing out rotations spots in a true competition like we have???
    That is what I think too. If Blackburn pitches better in spring training, then great give him the spot. But we are just a few games in at this point, and I would rather base it on performance than Gardy’s personal preference.

If you were giving odds on if the Twins will trade one of their 6 starters come April, what kinds of odds would you give....25%, 50%, a sure thing???
    It all depends on how the potential injury/performance replacements pitch in spring training. You pretty much have to operate under the assumption that your rotation is going to get injured or have performance issues at some point during the season. We have pitchers like Manship, Swarzak and Gibson in AAA this season, and if they show us something in spring training it will make getting rid of Baker/Slowey/Blackie a little easier. I am very leery to give up capable MLB starters, especially after last season when our rotation really hurt us in the first half of the season. So I would only shop one of those three if the next group of starters performs well.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."
    -Kurt Vonnegut "Mother Night"

Quote Originally Posted by Fandango View Post
    and if they show us something in spring training
    I think from how they fill the rotation to how they view the young players, the Twins really don't give a crap about how players perform during spring training. Just as long as "the ball is coming out of his hand good". (....all Twin's fans should know who that quote is from)

And here is reason #1 why they don't care how well guys perform during spring training.....Duensing said a couple days ago that he has yet to throw a breaking ball yet this spring and won't do so for another week or two. ST is really more about loosing up the arm muscles than anything for pitchers. Hell most pitchers don't find their good breaking balls till May it seems.
    Last edited by ducky; 03-07-2011 at 03:47 PM.

Slowey is the odd man out. They are paying Baker twice as much. They should just trade him for a box of rocks already. I don't think Slowey is a great starter but they need to start dumping some of the dead weight types, including Baker. He isn't terrible but he is far from great and at $5M+ he is a waste of money when he'll be replaced easily by Gibson soon.

Morneau finally showed himself, in a "b" game. 1 for 2 with a 3 run double. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I have a bad feeling about him...

Also, Pavano is looking great so far. If he falters, we're screwed. He's the only steady guy at this point.
    Last edited by PurplePride84; 03-08-2011 at 09:59 PM.
    So I said to him, "Look buddy, your car was upside down when we got here. And as for your grandma, she shouldn't have mouthed off like that." -Homer Simpson

Someone's looking to start a fight. That is about as apples and oranges comparison as it gets....and you know it.
    I don't agree, especially when a Twins fan above is citing Johan's health post-trade as a reason for having done it.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoViking View Post
    Slowey is the odd man out. They are paying Baker twice as much. They should just trade him for a box of rocks already. I don't think Slowey is a great starter but they need to start dumping some of the dead weight types, including Baker. He isn't terrible but he is far from great and at $5M+ he is a waste of money when he'll be replaced easily by Gibson soon.
    i thought he made more like 10-11, am I wrong? Either way, I'm not sure he's worth dealing. Run him out there until he fails, due to the money you are paying him, and then move on to Gibson or Slowey. For now though, you go with Baker I'd think, especially if healthy. Slowey will get someones spot eventually or at the very worst, solidify long relief. Slowey could be dealt easier and for more value too.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

Yeah I saw that too...

Isn't it a little early in spring to be handing out rotations spots in a true competition like we have??? I wonder if that means Blackburn's arm looks that good or if it means Baker's arm looks that bad?!?

I would really like the idea of having an extra starter heading into the season if we didn't have to stick one of them in the bullpen. Its too bad Slowey doesn't have options left where we let him stay warm in the minors until he was needed. That is the main reason I see a trade likely (although the Twins will not just give him away)....and in the end I think it is Slowey that is shipped.

It might be possible the Twins come north with all 6 on their roster just to see if an injury or two doesn't happen (or if another team's rotation just fails) to see if they can't maximize trade value and look to ship one of the starters by mid-May or so. We all know how April has a tendency to over-tax a bullpen....might not be a bad thing having a guy out there that can go 3-4 innings every 4th day or so for you.
    I get the idea that Baker isn't healthy and with Liriano/Pavano having injury histories, having an extra starter or 2 is smart. Plus they like to keep their prospects in the minors as long as possible, so I'm sure given their starter depth, they'd like to keep gibson down for another half year to a year.

Good to hear that Justin is actually out there playing baseball. This whole situation has lingered on a ridiculously long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    I don't agree, especially when a Twins fan above is citing Johan's health post-trade as a reason for having done it.
    That was not what I said. I said that it was a factor as to why the Twins haven't received more heat, not as a reason to do the trade, (I still would have waited for the deadline and gotten more). It's a small factor, with Mauer's contract and Target Field being larger factors.
    "I rooted for the Russians in 1980 because they were the better team." - Twolvesguy

Check the post, its not a response to you

One thing I both love and hate at the same time about the Twins....how close to the vest they play things. I sure would like some news to leak about if they are actively shopping Slowey or not and if they are what they might possibly get for him. But of course deep down I wouldn't want them to play it any other way (unless they aren't getting any good offers and want to bluff their way to one that suits them).

I hope they don't give him up for just a relief pitcher and a C prospect. I still think in the end this guy is a solid MLB pitcher for much of his career and I still don't mind at all the idea of at least holding onto him till the all-star break in case we suffer some injuries. Depth is never a bad thing.

Page 5 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast