Page 12 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    I just saw that Cuddy might get time at 2nd.

Where is that bucket...
    So I said to him, "Look buddy, your car was upside down when we got here. And as for your grandma, she shouldn't have mouthed off like that." -Homer Simpson

Actually Hughes has it today and I really do think he will be given most of the time there unless he proves he can't handle it. This is a real good opportunity for him. If he plays defense well enough up here, he very well might never see the minors again.

I also like how they shifted the lineup up the line and just slid him in the #8 hole. Mauer in the #2 hole for awhile here makes sense unless someone from the bottom of the lineup shows they can get on base at a high rate on a normal basis.
    Last edited by ducky; 04-08-2011 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePride84 View Post
    I just saw that Cuddy might get time at 2nd.

Where is that bucket...
    He was pretty bad there when they tried it for that single series in Seattle last year. I doubt we see a whole lot of that.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big...urn=mlb-wp2810

Cool read. American sports players could learn a lot from Japanese players in regards to honor and commitment. Instead of sulking, he apologized to the GM for getting hurt even though it was a completely bad luck play and apologized to Morneau for not turning the double play. Crazy. Classy move by Swisher too.

Twins team OPS so far this year is .554. That's so bad that Nick Punto could help this offense.

Whatever the hell this team did during spring training, they have to do the EXACT opposite next year.

I'm getting pissed at Mauer! I didn't draft him in the 3rd round to bat sub-.250!

/early season overreaction

Yeah at this point with Mauer I am not sure if it is an overreaction or not. I am not sure I have ever seen him go a 9 games stretch and hit so few balls solidily. Outs are part of baseball....but it is often times how loud those outs are that will foretell a "hot" period being around the corner. But Mauer so far has had, really odd for him, very few loud outs. He's in that rut that he sometimes gets in where he just tops most everything right over to the 2nd baseman....but this year it certainly seems like it is more pronounced.

Although we have faced some pretty incredible early season pitching. Our pitchers are still rounding into form and don't have their good stuff yet....especially their breaking balls. But it seems like every pitcher we have faced so far this year already has his June curve working to perfection.

Oh well. Its still just April 12th. Like I said a few pages back....if the Twins can get to Memorial day at 500, it will mean they are on pace for a good season.

Mauer is by far my favorite Twin, but he has been anemic so far this season.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."
    -Kurt Vonnegut "Mother Night"

Nice to see the Twins grind out a win last night against the Royals. The team needs to get W's like that when they bats are cold.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."

The day off I think helped the bats some. Both Mauer and Cuddyer (two of our coldest hitters) put together some good AB's last night. If it was June instead of cold April, Mauer would have had the game winning hit I think in the ninth. It was good to see him finally hit some rockets around the field. Man Target Field plays HUGE on nights like last night.

It is so nice to be able to cross off 3rd base as a position of need for the first time since Koskie left. Valencia has made a handfull of errors (baserunning and a couple in the field) this year but for the most part he has been fantastic. He is one of the few Twins with poor batting stats that has actually had a ton of good AB's. It is going to be a pleasure to watch that kid play 3rd for us for the next 3-7 years.

Man the backend of that Royal bullpen is going to be flat out sick in a year or two if they all can stay healthy. That is a team that we aren't going to be able to walk all over like we have the past couple of seasons in the coming years.

Mauer definitely seemed to be putting more power behind his swings last night. That is a good sign, because those line drives are going to be landing for hits as often as they are caught.

Also it is still early but from the looks of it now Nathan and Capps if they can stay healthy is going to be one of the best 8th/9th finishing duos the Twins have ever had. Nathan was hitting 93 on the gun consistantly last night and really is looking like he is going to be back to his old self by the end of the month as he starts to get his velocity back to where we are used to seeing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fandango View Post
    Mauer definitely seemed to be putting more power behind his swings last night. That is a good sign, because those line drives are going to be landing for hits as often as they are caught.
    Yep. Those were the type of loud outs that we are used to seeing from him.

I wonder if his knee is bugging him more than he is letting on because he sure looked like a different guy last night after a day off. Be interesting to see if he catches the game again today.

Nathan's slider was looking pretty good last night too. Certainly a good sign given the fact that I have to believe that he is still trying to get his arm, and pitching confidence back to where it was in 2009.

I'd like to see Liriano traded this year if they can get something for him. He just isn't that good IMO. Million dollar arm, ten cent head. I read that they are now trying to get him to pitch to contact more. I'm sure that will turn out well.

Page 12 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast