Roster Composition 2011/2012

Bleeding Green listed all the Eagles Players under contract and I summarize this below.

Position 2011 2012
    QB 2 1
    RB 1 1
    FB 1 1
    OL 7 5
    DE 6 5
    DT 5 2-3
    LB 3 3
    CB 4 4
    S 4 3
    K 0 0
    P 0 0

Tot 38 31/2

What does this mean?

1. The Eagles have TE, WR & the defensive line pretty well set. I would not expect much free agent or draft action in these areas.

2. They have a good number of bodies at OL and defensive back, but arguably are short on starters or quality play. Good candidate positions for high draft picks or Free Agent signings.

3. While the Linebackers, Runningbacks and Quarterbacks have played well, they don't have enough players under contract at any of those positions. Good candidate positions for lower end draft picks. And of course need to work on signing Vick, Harrison and Bradley which would change this picture alot.

4. Kickers and Punters are not signed.

I would agree the WR position is set. TE, still could use an upgrade. DL certainly NEEDS an upgrade, regardless of the fact they have bodies there.
    "Stop doing the wrong things. Stop promoting competition and choice as answers to the very inequality that was created by competition and choice."
    ~ Diane Ravitch, Reign of Error

I think the Eagles are going to make a huge push to sign Scrabble and probably keep Kolb unless they get blown away with an offer. Even if they have to Franchise Vick they are in great cap shape for this upcoming season; if they come to terms on 4 year deal it would be even better. Adding Asomugha would completely change the outlook of the D ... we could now blitz more often and you'll see a boatload of Int's. Teams usually don't even bother throwing Nnamdi's way, but with a play maker like Asante on the other side it would be a different ballgame here ... ya can't avoid both. Patterson would fill the physical #3, slot-role which I think he's made for while Lindley continues to develope as the #4.

The top pick can be used on OT/G Gabe Carimi who can either replace Justice at RT or be your starting RG.

Those 2 moves alone imo would help the Birds greatly.

Quote Originally Posted by ForWhoForWhat? View Post
    I would agree the WR position is set. TE, still could use an upgrade. DL certainly NEEDS an upgrade, regardless of the fact they have bodies there.
    Any position is upgradeable, but you have to give precedence to positions where you simply do not have players. Arguably TE will upgrade simply by Harobr getting a year's worth of experience and an offseason. At DL, they have 11 bodies under contract, so I suspect the upgrade will be players getting better and healthier.

That doesn't constitute an upgrade for me. But i know for many on this board, it does. <frustrated>
    "Stop doing the wrong things. Stop promoting competition and choice as answers to the very inequality that was created by competition and choice."
    ~ Diane Ravitch, Reign of Error

If Akers doesn't come back (sounds like he doesn't plan to be back) then we have an immediate and high need for a kicker. If the Eagles make a play for and get Asomugha then the D still needs help at LB (Sims is a below average LB in my mind and the soon to be 2nd yr guys are still below average until prove themselves). OLine, CB (without Asomugha), LB, QB (if Kolb is traded), DLine are the needs.

Since the coaches will probably not change (except we'll need a new OC if MM leaves and I would like a better DC but that doesn't sound like it is in the works) then our play calling and ability to adjust at game time will continue to be suspect. If this is the case then we better get the most talented team we can to overcome our coaching shortcomings. Some assistant coaches should be changed too (DLine, LB, WR, TE and maybe even OLine).

Significant change needed for the Eagles to get deep in the playoffs (and hopefully win the SB) next year.

Just because a player is under contract does not mean they will be remaining with the Eagles. Obvious, I know, but worth pointing out.