Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Staggering Colts playoff numbers

Numbers are from 1998-present

The Colts are now 1-5 (.167) in the postseason in games where they have 0 turnovers.
    Rest of the league: 41-3 (.932)

The Colts are now 8-4 (.667) in the posteason when leading after 3 quarters.
    Rest of the league: 100-16 (.862)

Since 1998, there have been 31 comebacks in the 4th quarter in the playoffs. The Colts have allowed a league-high 5 of them, including 4 in each of the last 4 seasons.

This is not acceptable, probable, or reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by StillSwinging View Post

The Colts are now 1-5 (.167) in the postseason in games where they have 0 turnovers.
    Rest of the league: 41-3 (.932)
    Interesting, sounds like their defense let them down in those games...

Check me if I'm wrong, but basically you are saying that Brady's lucky?
    "You don't understand, there was shrinkage."

You know what. Manning is kind of a statue back there in the pocket. He's freaking great at going through his reads, finding the best option, and delivering an accurate pass, but the guy isn't a playmaker at the quarterback position. Roethlisberger, McNabb, Romo, even Eli have the ability to do things with their legs to extend plays. Nobody ever criticizes this aspect of Peyton's game.

I suspect this is why they struggle in the playoffs. They face a top-flight defense that can rush the passer and cover receivers, and there is simply nowhere to go with the ball. The offense is somewhat one-dimensional. I think people have said it for years, but I think the future prototypical quarterback will not be a pocket passer. It's already becoming obsolete in college football.
    Sincerely, maddencutter

We NEEDED this thread like we need oxygen.

Seriously, can we create a new forum for Still and those who wanna calculate out numbers all day??? Get that **** out of here already.

Quote Originally Posted by maddencutter View Post
    You know what. Manning is kind of a statue back there in the pocket. He's freaking great at going through his reads, finding the best option, and delivering an accurate pass, but the guy isn't a playmaker at the quarterback position. Roethlisberger, McNabb, Romo, even Eli have the ability to do things with their legs to extend plays. Nobody ever criticizes this aspect of Peyton's game.

I suspect this is why they struggle in the playoffs. They face a top-flight defense that can rush the passer and cover receivers, and there is simply nowhere to go with the ball. The offense is somewhat one-dimensional. I think people have said it for years, but I think the future prototypical quarterback will not be a pocket passer. It's already becoming obsolete in college football.
    I don't think that has anything to do with the Colts losses in the postseason, Brady isn't mobile and nobody says he needs to be able to make plays, Brady and Manning have great pocket awarness.
    "You don't understand, there was shrinkage."

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah View Post
    I don't think that has anything to do with the Colts losses in the postseason, Brady isn't mobile and nobody says he needs to be able to make plays, Brady and Manning have great pocket awarness.
    Seems like I've seen Brady avoid sacks and make plays more. Or maybe he has better protection?
    Sincerely, maddencutter

Did Manning get sacked or even pressured tonight? I think there was play at the end of 1st half but otherwise he had time.

Since 1998, there have been 31 comebacks in the 4th quarter in the playoffs. The Colts have allowed a league-high 5 of them, including 4 in each of the last 4 seasons.

This is not acceptable, probable, or reasonable.
    "4 in each of the last 4 seasons" would be a total of 16. I am guessing this is not what you meant.

All these stats are an indictment of the Colts' defense...which I would say tends to be inflated statistically most years due to the production of the offense.
    Why must I feel like that? Why must I chase the cat? Nothin' but the dog in me.

Quote Originally Posted by Anointed One View Post
    Interesting, sounds like their defense let them down in those games...
    For the most part, yes. The key word you were looking for was run defense.

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...dex/tiny/2r3vg

Since the Jets had 169 yards on the ground tonight, that will give Indy 5 of the 7 worst games ranked by rushing yards allowed when they did not have a turnover.

People might point to the Indy offense not scoring, but in the 5 losses they scored 16, 16, 17, 17 and 18 points. Great? No. But we have seen plenty of playoff wins with an offense scoring the same or less. Even the great Joe Montana had a stretch where he went 0-3 and only led his offense to a FG (9 points total) in the 3 game span.

3 of these games were at home too. The two losses were both on the road, both in 23-17 games, one where Vanderjagt missed the winning FG and the other when Manning never touched the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    "4 in each of the last 4 seasons" would be a total of 16. I am guessing this is not what you meant.

All these stats are an indictment of the Colts' defense...which I would say tends to be inflated statistically most years due to the production of the offense.
    Yeah I guess that should have been "including one in each of the last 4 seasons"

And guess how many regular season losses they have since 2007 when leading in the 4th quarter? Three.

Three in the last 64 regular season games, four in 6 playoff games.

Quote Originally Posted by maddencutter View Post
    Seems like I've seen Brady avoid sacks and make plays more. Or maybe he has better protection?
    Definitely arguable in some past years, but pass protection was excellent tonight for Manning. Where the OL failed was in the running game, and especially on those short yardage plays.

Colts and Saints played for the SB last year. This year they're the first teams eliminated in the tournament.

And I think both could look at defense as the main culprit today.

Colts and Saints played for the SB last year. This year they're the first teams eliminated in the tournament.

And I think both could look at defense as the main culprit today.
    And their running games.
    Why must I feel like that? Why must I chase the cat? Nothin' but the dog in me.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    And their running games.
    Yeah, RBs in general. Bush dropped 4 points on the first drive and Jones' fumble directly led to 3 more for Seattle. There's a TD difference right there.

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast