Page 4 of 161 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Langlier View Post
    Great news. If ratings carry there "should" be 7 seasons if GRRM gets off his ass to finish the last 3 books.
    Yeah, Just like Robert Jordan did... oops.
    A Drinking Team with a Cycling Problem

Quote Originally Posted by Superbelt View Post
    Didn't see it, don't get HBO. But I suppose I will end up netflixing it.
    50 million for a season. I bet this ends up like so many other grand epics from HBO where they have an awesome show with great ratings, but can't justify the price tag, so the rug gets pulled out right as the thing is picking up steam.

See: Rome; Deadwood.
    See I predicted it wouldn't even see the light of day, so I'm going to just watch what they come up with, and not take anything for granted.
    "the blade itself incites to violence." - Homer

--

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - Kung fu Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by Breed View Post
    Please don't. It's terrible, truly and verily terrible I say.
    Yes it was. At one time, my favorite book. An abysmal film. But impossible to do as one film. Maybe someday someone will give it the 'Peter Jackson' treatment, but I doubt it.

--

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - Kung fu Monkey

Thought it was a great premier.

I pictured some guys differently in my head having read the first book, but overall was very happy with the debut.

EDIT: I also do not have HBO, but I have the internet with sidereel. It was posted there the next morning in great HD quality.

Quote Originally Posted by CalgaryHawkFan View Post
    Yes it was. At one time, my favorite book. An abysmal film. But impossible to do as one film. Maybe someday someone will give it the 'Peter Jackson' treatment, but I doubt it.
    It's been tried a few times now. It would probably need the same treatment as Game of Thrones to be honest... too much depth/complexity for movies.
    You are unique... Just like everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by SinkLikeAStone View Post
    Honestly I think they should've made the first episode 2 hours. The whole thing is moving along wayyyy too quickly from scene to scene. Yet we're not getting characters names or any history behind them.

I think if I hadn't of read the books I would be completely lost and possibly not even care what happened to these people b/c we don't know dick about them.
    I didn't know anything about this story and I wasn't lost, I found it pretty easy to like and dislike most of the characters, don't need much backstory for that. I like the Stark family, I like the Bastard, I like the King, I like the Dwarf, I like the Barbarian, I don't like the blonde Prince, I don't like the twins. I really don't know all the names yet but another hour peobably wouldn't of helped me there.
    "You don't understand, there was shrinkage."

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah View Post
    I didn't know anything about this story and I wasn't lost, I found it pretty easy to like and dislike most of the characters, don't need much backstory for that. I like the Stark family, I like the Bastard, I like the King, I like the Dwarf, I like the Barbarian, I don't like the blonde Prince, I don't like the twins. I really don't know all the names yet but another hour peobably wouldn't of helped me there.
    I think more just to keep names straight and anything. One thing I'm enjoying a lot is people's reactions to the characters/story. Knowing what's coming makes the anticipated reactions fun though.
    You are unique... Just like everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah View Post

Then you are just gonna LOVE how the Blond Prince gets his Crown. Hehe, I really wonder how they are gonna pull that off in TV.

Oh, and how about that opening title sequence? It is pretty freaking cool.
    "You don't understand, there was shrinkage."

Quote Originally Posted by Langlier View Post
    ---------------SPOILERS -------------

Biggest thing I didn't like was the interactions of Khal Drogo and Dany on the wedding night... There was supposed to be more tenderness there that makes Dany love him rather then fear him... Biggest complaint but something I can deal with.
    Naw. I thought it was just the right amount of tenderness. He wiped her tears, gave her the horse, etc. Plenty of hints toward where her feelings will go.

I liked it a lot.
    Last edited by TommyGirl; 04-20-2011 at 01:45 AM.
    Cellophane, [Mrs.] Cellophane, shoulda been my name...

Quote Originally Posted by SinkLikeAStone View Post
    Honestly I think they should've made the first episode 2 hours. The whole thing is moving along wayyyy too quickly from scene to scene. Yet we're not getting characters names or any history behind them.

I think if I hadn't of read the books I would be completely lost and possibly not even care what happened to these people b/c we don't know dick about them.
    I haven't read the books, really enjoyed the first episode. I felt they did a good job mood setting which allowed for you to get into the characters more quickly and their importance, also quickly found characters to like and dislike (and the guy who is protecting the King's outpost seems like a very interesting character).
    Last edited by Yellowknifer; 04-20-2011 at 05:12 AM.
    "There were many ways of not burdening one's conscience, of shunning responsibility, looking away, keeping mum. When the unspeakable truth of the holocaust then became known at the end of the war, all too many of us claimed that they had not known anything about it or even suspected anything."

- Richard Von Weizsaecker

Quote Originally Posted by TommyGirl View Post
    Naw. I thought it was just the right amount of tenderness. He wiped her tears, gave her the horse, etc. Plenty of hints toward where her feelings will go.

I liked it a lot.
    Yeah I got the impression she was sort of liking how he responded to her.
    "There were many ways of not burdening one's conscience, of shunning responsibility, looking away, keeping mum. When the unspeakable truth of the holocaust then became known at the end of the war, all too many of us claimed that they had not known anything about it or even suspected anything."

- Richard Von Weizsaecker

I am interested in buying the books, i saw there is 7 books in the series.. Is game of thrones the first book?
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Black-Orange View Post
    I am interested in buying the books, i saw there is 7 books in the series.. Is game of thrones the first book?
    thanks
    Yes. They are each very long, which is good for you since the author isn't done with the series yet and it just took him 6 years to complete a book which he had fully outlined...so as far as the wait for the next two to finish up...ugh. He's what...62? I hope Brandon Sanderson is still around to finish up his series when GRRM kicks the bucket.

It is an amazing book series. I flew through each one, despite the length, because of how the plot just keeps you wrapped in it throughout each of the books. And my favorite characters....they seem to change every single book, just a headsup.
    “True terror is to wake up one morning to discover that your high school class is running the country.” - Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by SWertsch View Post
    I hope Brandon Sanderson is still around to finish up his series when GRRM kicks the bucket.

Bite your tongue.

(at least you didn't say Kevin J. Anderson)

--

Page 4 of 161 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast