Page 5 of 161 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pink Monkey View Post
    ... there was a little too much adolescent rape fantasy for me. Even more so for my wife. I'll give it another episode at least.
    I agree. It was borderline glorification of rape and debauchery. To the point where you felt a little dirty for watching it.

I know a lil' bit about the books so all the sex didn't take me by surprise. All I'm saying is that there is a fine line between "artistic recreation" and rape veneration.

I'll give it another episode, too. HBO has a good rep, and I am (in particular) a huge fan of Boardwalk Empire... which I think, so far, is one of the best TV series of all time...
    Although it is said that our faith concerns matters which are obscure, the reasons for embracing the faith are not obscure but on the contrary are clearer than any natural light.
    -Descartes

They've already cast Danaerys much older than her character in the book. It's going to get real interesting to see how they handle Arya's future encounters with Vargo Hoat and the other shining examples of the human condition.

The books are DARK. It's HBO.

I don't think they're being gratuitous - in fact they've toned it down with things like the ages of the women involved.
    "the blade itself incites to violence." - Homer

--

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - Kung fu Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by Gmaniac View Post
    I agree. It was borderline glorification of rape and debauchery. To the point where you felt a little dirty for watching it.
    In a show that involves one case of overt incest and another of implied incest, I'm not really sure I see the glorification although it was a little uncomfortable to watch.
    The trouble with the world today is the intelligent people are full of doubt and the dumb people are full of confidence - Charles Bukowski

One other note. It's annoying to me that, as seems to always happen, my Sunday 10:00 p.m. slot now has 2 shows to watch. Game of Thrones and The Killing.

For anyone who hasn't been watching, I recommend you do. So far the show has been quite good. Also not a really pleasant story, if fact considerably more grim than this, but quite good.
    The trouble with the world today is the intelligent people are full of doubt and the dumb people are full of confidence - Charles Bukowski

Quote Originally Posted by flyerhawk View Post
    In a show that involves one case of overt incest and another of implied incest, I'm not really sure I see the glorification although it was a little uncomfortable to watch.
    Over at westeros, there's countless threads devoted to criticizing the darker aspects of the stories, and the modern take on rape and age of consent are some of the more popular. In our own history, 'women' were often married at 13.

Unlike Goodkind and some other authors, I don't think Martin is engaging in any rape fantasies in his writing. If anything, the reader is SUPPOSED to be shocked and angered by much of the stuff he writes about.
    "the blade itself incites to violence." - Homer

--

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - Kung fu Monkey

Try watching it with your female pastor as I did. She is a big fan of the books and when she found out I had HBO she asked if she could come over and watch it. Talk about uncomfortable!
    Dad's dream: to one day have the lifestyle his wife and children have.

Conundrum: We are advised to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but we are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics. Huh.

Quote Originally Posted by CalgaryHawkFan View Post
    Unlike Goodkind and some other authors, I don't think Martin is engaging in any rape fantasies in his writing. If anything, the reader is SUPPOSED to be shocked and angered by much of the stuff he writes about.
    I would agree with this based on how this episode was portrayed.

The scene where Danyeros was essentially raped was hardly a glorified scene, IMO. It seemed sad. I can see how the wedding could be construed as rape glorification but I thought it more was about showing a culture that was entirely alien to Danyeros' upbringing.

Quote Originally Posted by Baked Beans View Post
    Try watching it with your female pastor as I did. She is a big fan of the books and when she found out I had HBO she asked if she could come over and watch it. Talk about uncomfortable!
    LOL. I would imagine it was!

BTW, if you want to catch some rape fantasies go watch The Borgias, which I have found disappointing.

BTW, if you want to catch some rape fantasies go watch The Borgias, which I have found disappointing.
    I thought I would like The Borgias. I watched the first three episodes, and I'm not going to watch anymore. Drudgery.
    Cellophane, [Mrs.] Cellophane, shoulda been my name...

I was curious how that would be. I know they were pimping it as the original mob type of deal and I liked the characters from the Assassins Creed games but when I tuned in for one episode it seemed pretty lame. Then again it could've seemed that way without the early episode information.

But from the sound of it the whole show may just be that way?
    Draft well and then coach em up!

Find the next Ronnie Lott & Justin Smith & Jerry Rice & Deion Sanders

Bite your tongue.

(at least you didn't say Kevin J. Anderson)
    I dare say Brandon Sanderson has done a better job with the two Wheel of Time books he's written than Jordan did with the preceeded 4 or 5.
    A Drinking Team with a Cycling Problem

I'll give it another episode, too. HBO has a good rep, and I am (in particular) a huge fan of Boardwalk Empire... which I think, so far, is one of the best TV series of all time...
    HBO always front loads the sex on their new shows. It's the hook they sink into your lip. ;)
    A Drinking Team with a Cycling Problem

Quote Originally Posted by Genus49 View Post
    I was curious how that would be. I know they were pimping it as the original mob type of deal and I liked the characters from the Assassins Creed games but when I tuned in for one episode it seemed pretty lame. Then again it could've seemed that way without the early episode information.

But from the sound of it the whole show may just be that way?
    I don't think I am going to watch the next episode. Maybe I'll give it one more chance but it just isn't that interesting.

I REALLY didn't like last week's episode.

I've enjoyed Camelot more, mostly because I find Joseph Fiennes as Merlin to be a really interesting casting and anyone show with Eva Green and Tamsin Egerton really can't be that bad.

But Game of Thrones definitely, based on the first episode, seems to be a grade above. If for no other reason than HBO is just better at making these types of show than Starz or Showtime, although Showetime does have good stuff.

One other note. It's annoying to me that, as seems to always happen, my Sunday 10:00 p.m. slot now has 2 shows to watch. Game of Thrones and The Killing.

For anyone who hasn't been watching, I recommend you do. So far the show has been quite good. Also not a really pleasant story, if fact considerably more grim than this, but quite good.
    Game of Thrones is on at 9, The Killing is on at 10. And the way you can easily get around this if they happen to run over 5 minutes is they usually both show an encore immediately after.

Page 5 of 161 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast