Page 1 of 110 1231151101 ... LastLast

HBO's Game of Thrones

Here's a 12 minute trailer/teaser. This looks real good, I had a couple of the names mispronounced. I don't currently have HBO but will in April.
    Dad's dream: to one day have the lifestyle his wife and children have.

I LOVE the books. I think it looks cheesy as hell. The colors just seem all wrong. Maybe it is seeing things "behind the scenes" and having the magic of it stripped away. But I just think it looks like garbage. I don't know how I'll actually get my wife to watch it. But I'll give it a shot.

Plus, why does the girl have white blonde hair and dark eyebrows? One of my pet peeves.
    “True terror is to wake up one morning to discover that your high school class is running the country.” - Kurt Vonnegut

Easily the most anticipated show for me next year. I liked Pillars of the Earth and this should blow that out of the water.
    You are unique... Just like everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by SWertsch View Post
    I LOVE the books. I think it looks cheesy as hell. The colors just seem all wrong. Maybe it is seeing things "behind the scenes" and having the magic of it stripped away. But I just think it looks like garbage. I don't know how I'll actually get my wife to watch it. But I'll give it a shot.

Plus, why does the girl have white blonde hair and dark eyebrows? One of my pet peeves.
    I don't know how you're getting all that. Hard to say how it's going to be at this point, but everything involving Sean Bean seems to be dead on.

The one thing that threw me was seeing the Mayor of Baltimore show up with a mustache.

It's too bad George Martin is too busy doing this and not finishing the series.

I LOVE the books. I think it looks cheesy as hell. The colors just seem all wrong. Maybe it is seeing things "behind the scenes" and having the magic of it stripped away. But I just think it looks like garbage.
    Remember that a LOT of that trailer is footage shot by 'behind the scenes' cameras, and that the finished product will be

a. Shot with better cameras.
    b. sweetened in post.

Having said that, I did think that the Dothraki stuff looked bad. I dunno if that actor is going to be able to pull off Jamie Lannister, but the guy playing Littlefinger looked like he nailed that character.

There's no doubt the show is going to be a real mixed bag. That it is even being made is REALLY ambitious. The scope of the thing is ridiculous. I predicted it'd die in the planning stages - that it's even going to see a season #1 is pretty incredible.

Kids, animals, bunch of different locations, battles. It's going to be tough to pull off.
    "the blade itself incites to violence." - Homer

--

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - Kung fu Monkey

Just a reminder - this starts up on Sunday. The first 15 minutes are around the internet if you do some google/bing-fu.
    You are unique... Just like everyone else.

Thanks for the public service announcement, langlier.
    A Drinking Team with a Cycling Problem

mmmm, I love blondes with dark eyebrows. Anyways, has HBO ever done something that is "garbage"? Seriously? I don't like all of their shows, they aren't all for me, but garbage? Doubt it.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

Warning: This thread eventually got to the point that it spoiled books in the rest of the series, most especially by mentioning which characters were in later books (and hence can be inferred not to have been killed off earlier.)

It is eagerly awaited in my house. It would be politic for me to watch it too. ;)
    Last edited by AndromedaPatFan; 07-11-2011 at 11:53 PM.
    APF doesn't come in screaming at others about how stupid they are. APF doesn't spam NST with the same tired topic 30 times a month. APF doesn't link to some kook in his mom's basement telling you how to, "Be afraid. Be very afraid" of the world falling down around you. And, when APF is proven wrong, he acknowledges he made a mistake and moves on, rather than harping about "sheeple."

-- Cory Bonini

Welchie summarized

I absolutely chose the wrong year to give up cable....never been a fan of torrents, but I may have to in this case, unless HBO decides to join the major networks and begins to release their content in a timely manner.
    "I believe it is the duty of each of us to act as if the fate of the world depended on him. Admittedly, one man by himself cannot do the job. However, one man can make a difference."

I liked it, but there was a little too much adolescent rape fantasy for me. Even more so for my wife. I'll give it another episode at least.
    "And if there is nothing that can so hide the face of our fellow-man as morality can, religion can hide from us as nothing else can the face of God." -- Martin Buber

"You do not like religion; we started from that assumption. But in conducting an honest battle against it, which is not completely without effort, you do not want to have fought against a shadow like the one with which we have struggled." -- Friedrich Schleiermacher

Die-hard Martin fan since before Game of Thrones (Tuf Voyaging might be my favorite sci-fi book of all time, and GoT is IMO the best fantasy series since Tolkien, hands frigging down).

Was very nervous they'd screw this up. First episode was heavily reshot so I'm not willing to take it as dispositive... but so far, so good. Casting seems very good (Rob and Jon Snow are a bit too interchangable, if Rickon was there I missed him, I'm pretty agnostic on Danaerys. Caetlyn and Cersei haven't wowed me yet but both are solid choices who can do the roles right, Tyrion hasn't had the chance to show his full wit yet but there was never anyone else for the role, BUT Jaime, Ned, Robert Baratheon, Benjen, Bran, Sansa, Arya, all seem just about perfect), set design and production values are all great... if the rest of the eps keep up this quality level it'll be a great series... though I hope they have a bit more room to breathe. This first ep had to cover so much ground that there wasn't really time to flesh things out the way you'd hope... but they've definitely done what they needed to do.

I probably sound harsh. So far it's an A. Just hope they keep it up, and that people watch.

If you didn't see it, you're missing out. Just be prepared to need to pay attention the same way you would for The Wire... but expect the same level of reward, just in a very different way.

I loved the first episode.

Page 1 of 110 1231151101 ... LastLast