Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Gettysburg
    Posts
    16,695

    What's the best browser to use with XP Pro?

    As you may know already, my PC was ravaged by the google redirect virus a few months ago. We replaced the hard drive completely. We're running Windows XP Professional and IE8. Explorer is really, really slow now. We also get error messages all the time offering to restore last session. I'm wondering if IE8 is too 'souped up' for XP to keep up with it.

    BTW... the hard drive is clean of any malware etc...

    Any suggestions?
    Cherish your children for who they are, not who you'd like them to be.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Richfield, MN
    Posts
    19,957
    If you have to still run XP, make sure that you have an antivirus program installed & updated first. Then, run FireFox with the NoScript & AdBlock extensions installed. It will be a bit of a pain surfing, as you need to whitelist sites as you visit them to run flash / javascript / etc, but it's about the only safe way to surf in XP. Google Chrome is supposed to run in a sandbox, but I do not know if it does so on XP or if it is truly effective in that OS.
    If the majority distributes among itself the things of a minority, it is evident that it will destroy the city. --Aristotle
    If we did all the things we are capable of, we would literally astound ourselves. - Thomas Edison

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    808 state
    Posts
    43,125
    What Vin said. My wife hates it because NoScript blocks everything until you allow it, but it's safer :)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Forty Fort, PA
    Posts
    4,599
    Thirded. Firefox + NoScript & Adblock = nothing happens until you allow it. Significant others definitely hate it, but it definitely keeps you safely browsing.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Promised Land
    Posts
    37,464
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexPKeaton View Post
    As you may know already, my PC was ravaged by the google redirect virus a few months ago. We replaced the hard drive completely. We're running Windows XP Professional and IE8. Explorer is really, really slow now. We also get error messages all the time offering to restore last session. I'm wondering if IE8 is too 'souped up' for XP to keep up with it.

    BTW... the hard drive is clean of any malware etc...

    Any suggestions?
    I'm not qualified to argue with those guys, but i run Adblock without the no script with firefox and a little free program called spywareblaster which protects you from incoming. Just update it occasionally and enable new protection. It doesn't need to run either, it's just there.

    IE is a bullseye on your computer, but it sounds like somethings wrong. I keep IE8 available on Xp Home and it works fine if I need it.
    Last edited by RayClay; 12-03-2010 at 01:28 AM.
    I've got binders full of women
    and a one point plan.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Gettysburg
    Posts
    16,695
    Wow! This PC is runnin' like Secretariat now!

    Yes, the constant need to allow stuff is getting old quickly, but I would imagine that the need subsides after a while since I pretty much hit the same 20 or so websites all the time. We'll have to see how the wife likes it.

    Thanks guys!
    Cherish your children for who they are, not who you'd like them to be.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    6,302
    Adblock Plus for me rather than Adblock, but NoScript is a must.
    Why must I feel like that? Why must I chase the cat? Nothin' but the dog in me.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Forty Fort, PA
    Posts
    4,599
    Yeah, once you've got your bookmarks "allowed," you're good to go. FWIW, I use Chrome primarily now, with AdBlock and FlashBlock, and I've yet to run into any security issues for a few months. I'm on Windows 7, though.

    Just realized I could use a javascript blocker, too. Commence Googling!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    38,290
    Google Chrome is what I use. Has a lot of that stuff built in, runs much better than Firefox (less bloated) and in general is just awesome IMO. Built in search bar as well (the http bar is also google).
    "There were many ways of not burdening one's conscience, of shunning responsibility, looking away, keeping mum. When the unspeakable truth of the holocaust then became known at the end of the war, all too many of us claimed that they had not known anything about it or even suspected anything."

    - Richard Von Weizsaecker

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    20,217
    I like Chrome much, much better than Firefox.
    Tell me where the bomb is or I will kill your son.

    "Responsibility without conviction is weak, but it is sane. Conviction without responsibility, in the current incarnation of the Republican Party, is raving mad."

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Richfield, MN
    Posts
    19,957
    Quote Originally Posted by RayClay View Post
    I'm not qualified to argue with those guys, but i run Adblock without the no script with firefox and a little free program called spywareblaster which protects you from incoming. Just update it occasionally and enable new protection. It doesn't need to run either, it's just there.

    IE is a bullseye on your computer, but it sounds like somethings wrong. I keep IE8 available on Xp Home and it works fine if I need it.
    I used to use SpywareBlaster all the time back in the day, but I didn't know that they were still going strong. It used to be a very effective program, so I'll +1 your recommendation of it.
    If the majority distributes among itself the things of a minority, it is evident that it will destroy the city. --Aristotle
    If we did all the things we are capable of, we would literally astound ourselves. - Thomas Edison

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    London, Canada
    Posts
    10,792
    I used to be an advocate of IE but versions 7 and 8 are just stupid. I find Firefox to be naggy. Chrome is my fave.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    16,989
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellowknifer View Post
    Google Chrome is what I use. Has a lot of that stuff built in, runs much better than Firefox (less bloated) and in general is just awesome IMO. Built in search bar as well (the http bar is also google).
    I use Chrome on my home and work PC and love it. I also have Safari loaded and use it as well. It's pretty lightweight and an overall solid browser. Never use IE and use FF only in some rare instances.
    Occupying the handicap bathroom stall

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    South Gomorrah
    Posts
    6,129
    I wish somebody had recommended Opera to APK, just to see what would have happened. :)
    Burn like an LA sunset, colorful, toxic

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Haverhill, MA
    Posts
    8,923
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexPKeaton View Post
    Wow! This PC is runnin' like Secretariat now!

    Yes, the constant need to allow stuff is getting old quickly, but I would imagine that the need subsides after a while since I pretty much hit the same 20 or so websites all the time. We'll have to see how the wife likes it.

    Thanks guys!
    Just out of curiousity, how much memory is installed in this computer?
    Does my Avatar cause you to wet your panties?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  






Part of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties.