Page 5 of 246 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy View Post
    Neat concept. Was it worth the time in how it was executed?
    Yeah, I liked the concept and set up as well. I thought it was executed pretty good, if anything. It was too fast or maybe didn't last long enough is more accurate, at least imo. It could've/should've been an hour or probably two hours longer imo. The decision that was made by one particular person in the last episode was especially bad though. And the ending was appropiate to that bad decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Breed View Post
    Slightly off topic

Anyone watch the IFC miniseries about zombies called "Dead Set"? 1st episode was 45 minutes long and the last 5 episodes were 30 minutes each I believe. Its backdrop is a zombie uprising takes place during the filming of Big Brother UK and the BB cast are pretty much the last to know and they are some of the few survivors. Along with some BB staff and a few people from out in the world. I thought it was cool.
    Yeah I watched it. It was pretty good but I thought the camera was too shaky at times and it would have really helped to be in HD. The quality wasn't too good.

And did you notice the first person in the house to die was a black person? Keeping up the cliche.

I thought Dead Set was well done. I agree it moved too quick. Would have been cooler if it was double the amount of episodes. It would have not suffered with a little more development.
    enjoy the day - my bands album

3HB = Three Heads Brewing....my brewery.

No doubt HD would've been nice for Dead Set, but I didn't have any issues with camera shakiness. Truth be told, while I can dig and appreciate spare no expenses type productions and settings. I can overlook a lesser production and/or setting as long as the storyline and acting are good. Which I thought it was in Dead Set. I also thought the gore/gruesome factor was more than satisfactory. Ol' girl wielded a mean fire extinguisher.

I didn't see the black girl being the first cast member killed as cliche. Not considering how the relationship/group dynamic played out among the cast.

12 hours of Dead Set would've definitely worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by JoKeR View Post
    Not to mention the black guy's (survivor) wife seemed to know that was her house. May be speculation though.
    Also the sherriff shot a zombie at the police station who was a former police officer...so yes they seem to have some cognitive ability..

Quote Originally Posted by KRD227 View Post
    Also the sherriff shot a zombie at the police station who was a former police officer...so yes they seem to have some cognitive ability..
    Well assuming he was at the station when he turned, I wouldn't take the lack of wandering off as a sign of cognitive ability.

Still, they have clearly imbued the zombies with capabilities not seen in the comic...makes me think all the arguing earlier about the prison storyline being untenable due to the violence of the content was completely moot.
    "I will punch you." - Wounded Bear

I really didn't care much for this episode.

I never was a comic book guy so I can't speak to whether they are following the storyline but last night's just didn't do it for me.

I don't see why every single guy has to have a conflict with at least 1 other guy in such a small group. They may be stuck with the folks they are stuck with but at the same time survival should be the primary objective.

Here be spoilers....

I didn't care for the end with how Merle escaped. Why exactly did he need to cut his hand off if he has an hacksaw? Why not cut through the cuffs or the pipe itself? I realize that we don't KNOW that he did that but it seems kinda silly to me.
    The trouble with the world today is the intelligent people are full of doubt and the dumb people are full of confidence - Charles Bukowski

I thought last night's episode was kinda weak as well.

I haven't watched last night's yet, but I'd agree the second episode was a pretty big drop-off from the first. Not to rehash that earlier discussion again, and I do understand that filmmakers are artists, too, and need to put their own spin on things, but the people who make the show also need to remember they wanted to use Kirkman's work as the basis for this show for a reason...because it's good! That entire second episode was all new material except for the part about the zombie guts and the rainstorm, and the end of it felt more like an advertisement for the Dodge Challenger than anything to do with the story.
    "I will punch you." - Wounded Bear

Quote Originally Posted by flyerhawk View Post
    I really didn't care much for this episode.

I never was a comic book guy so I can't speak to whether they are following the storyline but last night's just didn't do it for me.

I don't see why every single guy has to have a conflict with at least 1 other guy in such a small group. They may be stuck with the folks they are stuck with but at the same time survival should be the primary objective.

Here be spoilers....

I didn't care for the end with how Merle escaped. Why exactly did he need to cut his hand off if he has an hacksaw? Why not cut through the cuffs or the pipe itself? I realize that we don't KNOW that he did that but it seems kinda silly to me.
    Last Nights Episode was almost entirely new content. Merle and his brother aren't characters from the book.

The book has a lot of inter-character conflict. Everyone has their own interests in mind, and tension and stress contribute a lot to their arguments.

Carol's husband is also a TV only character. And in the book she is younger. Still pretty wall-flowerish though.

Yeah this episode was pretty down. But this kind of stuff builds into the bigger story lines. They wanted to start out strong and with plenty of action. But still need to establish what their day to day lives are like.
    The consistent factor of all of your dissatisfying relationships and failures is you.

R.W. 09.21.10 I love you.

Here be spoilers....

I think the conflict happens because you have such a wide array of people forced together and they are from walks of life that would not normally mix. Then throw on top of it the stress and emotions of watching civilization crumble....it happens. Imagine being stuck with your co-workers and relying on them to survive while everyone else you know is now dead.

Regarding the hand, it is not like he made the decision in a vacuum. There were walkers about to bust through the door, he was exposed to the heat and surely was not thinking right. I am sure it would effect your ability to make a rational decision. I am interested in how he got off the roof without going through the door (it was still chained when they came back).

I agree with this criticism, and think it applies to lots of movie/tv shows. IMO too often creators/directors are so focused on showing that "a dark side exists to every person", that conflict happens too often between characters.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."
    -Kurt Vonnegut "Mother Night"

Quote Originally Posted by Fandango View Post
    I agree with this criticism, and think it applies to lots of movie/tv shows. IMO too often creators/directors are so focused on showing that "a dark side exists to every person", that conflict happens too often between characters.
    Agreed. It doesn't resonate with me.

In my experience most people fall into roles during times of crisis. Most people will NOT want to assert authority and be the dominant force. A few will step up as leaders.
    The trouble with the world today is the intelligent people are full of doubt and the dumb people are full of confidence - Charles Bukowski

There's too many questions to assume he cut off his hand. Yes there was a hacksaw, but considering the chopper in the first show, I'm interested to see what happened. Also, they didn't have much resisitance in getting up to the roof, which makes me think that something happened to remove the threat, or the zombies became interested in something else happening.

I also like that this has some suspense outside the original; helps keep those who know the novel a bit more in the dark.
    There is a time to laugh and a time not to laugh, and this is not one of them.

I think only one has stepped up as a leader in the group outside the city and they have fallen into their roles. Not sure where that is not happening? They have a hunter, a watch dog and the others seem to be managing the day to day tasks. You also need to realize it seems they have begun to go hungry, which has an effect on their actions.

Page 5 of 246 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast