Page 45 of 55 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Bear View Post
    Were you sitting on a porch when you drank this?

Trappistes Rochefort 8 - Spendy. It is smooth as can be and has a nice flavor, but it was just a hint too sweet for my tastes. Not bad though.

Enjoying a Magic Hat #9 right now.
    Cherish your children for who they are, not who you'd like them to be.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexPKeaton View Post
    Enjoying a Magic Hat #9 right now.
    Philistine.
    "I believe it is the duty of each of us to act as if the fate of the world depended on him. Admittedly, one man by himself cannot do the job. However, one man can make a difference."

Dixie's Blackened Voodoo Lager - Such a cool name for a brew, and it comes from New Orleans. I wanted to like it so very much more than I did. If I had to pick one word to describe it, I'd go with "boring." It wasn't bad, but I won't buy it again.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNextStep View Post
    Trappistes Rochefort 8 - Spendy. It is smooth as can be and has a nice flavor, but it was just a hint too sweet for my tastes. Not bad though.
    I've had the Rochefort 10, it was a great experience that had me rethink all my thoughts about Belgian beers.

May have to now try the 8 and 6 as well.

Port Brewing makes really good beers and I don't hear as much about them as a lot of brewers. Had their Old Viscosity Stout on monday and yesterday happy hour. That's a treat.

Also been drinking Pliny The Elder this week. Looks like the Younger may be around the corner... Awesome stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNextStep View Post

Monty Python's Holy Grail Ale - The label states "Tempered over burning witches" and that is the entire reason that I bought this beer. It made me laugh and I said, "Okay, I have to try this." Seemed like a fair trade, to be completely truthful. If the label hadn't humored me so much, I'd call it "weak." Since it did, however, I will refer to it as "mild."
    The label is definitely better that the beer, but it was drinkable. That said, too many great beers out there to bother with it again.
    I am clay.

Finally got my hands on a sixer of Lag Sucks. Good beer, but not great. I prefer their Lil Sumpin ' Sumpin' Ale.
    "I believe it is the duty of each of us to act as if the fate of the world depended on him. Admittedly, one man by himself cannot do the job. However, one man can make a difference."

Had a couple of really good beers tonight at the local beer bar. First was a Belgian, St. Bernardus Prior 8, and the 2nd was Three Floyds Arctic Panzer Wolf, an excellent Double IPA.

I was in Phoenix this week for work, and had some Four Peaks beers. Not bad, but the standout was their Kilt Lifter scotish ale.

Drinking a New Glarus Raspberry Tart tonight - I had some reservations because while I love sours, Wisconsin fruit alcohol is known for being very fruity. I want my sours to be sour! Numerous good reviews tempted me anyways, and of course it's a little sweeter than I would like. It would seem some sweetness has been added back in, as traditionally the raspberry sugar is eaten by the yeast. It would be an excellent starter "sour" for people new to the style, though.

Tomorrow is local beer day - we're going to Harriet Brewing, Summit, Indeed, and Dangerous Man for some tours / taprooms. Yet another Minneapolis brewery is opening Wednesday (612 Brew), and the wife and I are going to have a pre-Valentine's date there for the opening festivities. They did quite well at the winter Dabbler here, so I'm excited to try some of their beer.
    If the majority distributes among itself the things of a minority, it is evident that it will destroy the city. --Aristotle
    If we did all the things we are capable of, we would literally astound ourselves. - Thomas Edison

Holy shiite ... 40+ pages of beer suggestions... how am I ever going to get through these tonight?

One at a freaking time people ... that's how....
    1st and 10 at DEN 20 (Shotgun) T.Tebow pass deep middle to D.Thomas for 80 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

Quote Originally Posted by jdlewis View Post
    Holy shiite ... 40+ pages of beer suggestions... how am I ever going to get through these tonight?

One at a freaking time people ... that's how....
    I actually went through and re-read the whole thing the other day.

He'Brew's Messiah Nut Brown Ale - I have previously mentioned how much I like Leinenkugel's Fireside Nut Brown Ale and I still stand by that... but this is a better beer all the way around. As often happens with me, I bought it because the label made me smile... and this beer over-delivered. I will definitely buy this beer again.

So, based on the comments in this thread, I decided to test out Lagunitas Sucks vs Laginuitas Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale. I still prefer Sucks. Make all the jokes you want about what this says about my sexuality, but I just plain like Sucks better. I've given it some thought, and here's what I think the difference is: For me, Sucks is a pretty unique beer. I haven't tasted a whole lot of beers like it. I honestly don't know what "type" of beer it is, so maybe I'm just out of the loop and there are a million taste-a-likes out there that I just haven't tried.... but I haven't had much like it. The Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale, however... I've had a LOT of beer that is similar to it. A lot of those beers were as good or better. I don't dislike it at all... but if I had to choose between the two, the Ale loses on that factor alone. By itself, I think that it's a pretty good beer... but... I've had similar and I've had better.

Also in play due to recommendations in this thread....

Stone's Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale - Call me another word for a kitten, but I thought that the flavor was just a little overpowering. I didn't think it was horrible but, again, I've had a lot of similar beers... and a lot of them have a much cleaner finish. Of the three that I mention in this post, this was probably my least favorite.

Incidentally, I gave a couple of "call me (this)" and "call me (that)" comments out there and I'm not remotely embarrassed or ashamed of what I wrote after that. I am, however, mortified that I just made a comment about how a beer "finishes." Who f***ing talks like that? Aside from pretentious people, I mean. Let me rephrase: I didn't care for the after-taste.

There. I feel better.

I tried Big Sky Brewing's Trout Slayer Wheat Ale tonight and I really enjoyed it. Enjoyed it to the point that I think I will definitely buy it again. That said, it was after a number of Smithwick's (which remains my favorite beer), so I guess I don't really know if I enjoyed it at all. But I think I did. And I think I recommend it. Maybe. I think.

On another note, what does everyone have against drunk texting?

Page 45 of 55 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast