Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

2010 Detroit Tigers: Youth movement

We are less than 15 minutes from the start of baseball in KC and I figured it's time to start the thread. I'm really interested to see how AJax and Sizemore play, and how Miggy/Maggs bat the first few weeks.

GO TIGERS!

1-0. Great showing other than Verlander. Guys like Jackson,Maggs,Inge and Damon all had nice outings. 161 more to go now. Bullpen looked as advertised as well. Great showing by them.

1-0. Great showing other than Verlander. Guys like Jackson,Maggs,Inge and Damon all had nice outings. 161 more to go now. Bullpen looked as advertised as well. Great showing by them. The Central is going to come down to starting pitching

I'll tell you, regardless of how the outcome of the Detroit game was today, that Scherzer kid sounds like he could be the real deal.

Per Yahoo:

Apr 7 RHP Max Scherzer could not have done much better in his Detroit debut Wednesday. Scherzer pitched six innings of one-hit shutout ball before being relieved at the start of the seventh after throwing 91 pitches. Scherzer relied mainly on his fastball-changeup combination with few sliders and might have gone another inning had 3B Brandon Inge not bobbled a seemingly certain double-play grounder with one out and a man on first in the fifth. Scherzer wound up getting a called third strike on a 2-2 pitch with the bases loaded to end the inning. Scherzer didn't give up a hit until C Jason Kendall hit a soft single to right-center with two out in the fifth.
    "I rooted for the Russians in 1980 because they were the better team." - Twolvesguy

Unfortunately none of us got to see Scherzer pitch as the Tigers game was a join in progress due to the Wings and Pistons both playing. We didn't get the game til it was into the eighth

Nice to see Miggy being clutch already as he was the last hope. Valverdge giving up two bombs wasn't smart, felt like we were watching Fernando out there. He needs to use his secondary pitches, both HR's were off fastballs.

Let's get the win today and win our first series of the year!

Go Tigers!

Looks like the D-Train had a quality start for you tonight.

I will say, despite the fact that he plays for a division rival, I really am rooting for him to succeed. He is one of the greatest guys in the game and if he can find the magic he had 4 or 5 years ago, the Tigers have a very dangerous rotation...

A very good story from Yahoo's Jeff Passan:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_yl...p-willis040810
    "I rooted for the Russians in 1980 because they were the better team." - Twolvesguy

Nice to see D-Train have a decent outing. Good for him and good for the Tigers.

Youngest rotation in majors according to STATS.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=det

Nice to see Maggs tearing the cover off the ball. I think the WBC and his wife's illness really messed him up for most of last year, up until August/September.

3-1 aint too shabby to start it off :)

Maggs is in shape, that's the big difference. Not just in shape, but toned with added muscle. His power is back. I knew in spring he'd have a good year. Well, too early to tell, but looks good.

3-1. Off to a good start. Beating the crap teams, but that matters too. If we beat up on our division, we should win it.

Miggy for MVP!

Quote Originally Posted by Cake View Post
    Nice to see D-Train have a decent outing. Good for him and good for the Tigers.

Youngest rotation in majors according to STATS.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=det
    Yea, I think most want to see him succeed to some degree. It was sad to see him break down and he was always so fun to watch. Basically, what VF said.
    He still looks a little erratic, but if he can put it together and give us 175 innings, we will be tough to beat. DW and Bondo need to give us innings, because the youngsters can only give so many

Quote Originally Posted by LionFan2k View Post
    Unfortunately none of us got to see Scherzer pitch as the Tigers game was a join in progress due to the Wings and Pistons both playing. We didn't get the game til it was into the eighth

Nice to see Miggy being clutch already as he was the last hope. Valverdge giving up two bombs wasn't smart, felt like we were watching Fernando out there. He needs to use his secondary pitches, both HR's were off fastballs.

Let's get the win today and win our first series of the year!

Go Tigers!
    I'm guessing he'll take a little adjusting to the AL. Kinda like Lyon last year.

5-1 after the first two series with a comeback win on Sunday? Great start so far.

If we can go .500 on the West Coast swing I'll be happy. JV was off again today, but I think that is just what we are going to have to expect from him his first few starts. I bet by the end of the month to the end of the season he'll be clutch as usual. Nice seeing Sizemore get a RBI double today, and a great job by Damon to come in off the bench to get the game tying walk. He has really been a great pick up both on the field and in the clubhouse... everyone really seems to like him. Maybe that chemistry can lead to a run deep in October? Only time and 156 more games will tell.

JV started out a little rocky last year too, but if he is our big pitching worry, we'll be ok. Willis looked ok, better than the last few years at least, but he also didn't assure me that he is going to be effective over the course of a full season. Hopefully Galarraga gets his act together so we have a reliable replacement.

We beat the teams we were supposed to, the trip out west will be a good test now. We look like we have a solid balance of hitting,pitching and defense with a lights out bullpen.

that win over Minnesota on the back of Willis' 6 shutout innings was damn impressive. Too bad we blew game 1. Either way, proud of DW.

Laird is going to kill this team all year. Every team has a weakness, but it's like we're a friggin' NL team with him in the order.
    The cake is a lie. I'm pretty sure the numbers in the pie chart are made up too.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast