Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Laird is going to kill this team all year. Every team has a weakness, but it's like we're a friggin' NL team with him in the order.
    Ah, with Avila playing more and more as the season goes on we'll be fine. I just want him to get his D going like it was last year.

Another great win tonight. Our offense if borderline dominant. Jackson went 5 for 5 and took the AL hits lead back. No strikeouts for 3 or 4 games in a row. Porcello was kinda bad, but at after his shaky start put down 9 in a row at one point. Needs to improve much more though obviously.

Boesch and Sizemore had their first HRs in the majors in the same inning. Pretty crazy I thought. Boesch's grand slam was the key to the game. That kid will be an impact player for this team down the line.

Damon walk off. 4 in a row against Twins and Angels!

Edit- make it 5, sweep of Angels on the back of a dominant, bullpen saving JV performance. Another 5 runs as well.
    Last edited by Nastradamus; 05-02-2010 at 10:55 PM.

WTF is up with Scherzer? I have him in a fantasy pay league and he was pitching really well until the last couple games where he's been throwing batting practice.

I noticed that his fastball has been around 90-92 MPH. Is he hurt?

Quote Originally Posted by seahawksfan837 View Post
    WTF is up with Scherzer? I have him in a fantasy pay league and he was pitching really well until the last couple games where he's been throwing batting practice.

I don't know man, but i feel your pain. He hasn't been good the last couple times out. I hope he gets better. Maybe he needs a 15 day DL stint.

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    I don't know man, but i feel your pain. He hasn't been good the last couple times out. I hope he gets better. Maybe he needs a 15 day DL stint.
    Yeah, I dunno, I was really alarmed to see his velocity so low. Maybe it's just me but he usually seems to be up around 95 or so. At least 93, 94. He's been around 89-90, topping out at 92. That's somewhat troublesome IMO. It may be nothing, but it's sure causing him to become a lot more hittable.

Hopefully he gets it together. I've always liked Scherzer a lot, I thought that was an excellent trade for Detroit.

Yeah, I dunno, I was really alarmed to see his velocity so low. Maybe it's just me but he usually seems to be up around 95 or so. At least 93, 94. He's been around 89-90, topping out at 92. That's somewhat troublesome IMO. It may be nothing, but it's sure causing him to become a lot more hittable.

Hopefully he gets it together. I've always liked Scherzer a lot, I thought that was an excellent trade for Detroit.
    yah, hopefully its a bump in the road

He faced the Twin's....that's what happened. ;)

This is a common time for a lot of pitchers to develop a bit of a dead arm....although usually with sinkerball pitchers that is not such a bad thing (more movement). So that might be part of his problem.

I certainly have not been impressed with his stuff from the games I saw him pitch. Looks to be a MOR guy to me who can give you innings but they will never be great innings. Last season he sported a pretty high 4.12 in a punchless NL west...based on that I wouldn't expect his ERA to be under 4.5 this season in what is going to be a pretty offensive AL Central if he doesn't take any steps forward in his progress.

Quote Originally Posted by ducky View Post

This is a common time for a lot of pitchers to develop a bit of a dead arm....although usually with sinkerball pitchers that is not such a bad thing (more movement). So that might be part of his problem.

I certainly have not been impressed with his stuff from the games I saw him pitch. Looks to be a MOR guy to me who can give you innings but they will never be great innings. Last season he sported a pretty high 4.12 in a punchless NL west...based on that I wouldn't expect his ERA to be under 4.5 this season in what is going to be a pretty offensive AL Central if he doesn't take any steps forward in his progress.
    The Twins lineup is definitely impressive but Scherzer is no MOR guy. He's a TOR talent and had been pitching really well until his last 2 outings where he's lost a bit of velocity. His high ERA last year was more due to wildness and the common inconsistency that comes with a young pitcher. He's got big time stuff.

Good point about the dead arm. That's probably pretty close to what's going on there. A 15 day DL stint might not be a bad idea.

RIP Ernie Harwell. One of the best announcers ever but even a better human being. Baseball lost a great man today.

Quote Originally Posted by ducky View Post

I don't agree with everything, but actually, playing the Twins wasn't any favor to him. He hasn't been sharp either way though.

Quote Originally Posted by LionFan2k View Post
    RIP Ernie Harwell. One of the best announcers ever but even a better human being. Baseball lost a great man today.
    Just an absolutely great person and great broadcaster. Nobody compares to him as a broadcaster IMO. Something about that voice makes you ready for some baseball.

3 outta 4 vs the Yanks with Bondo, JV and Porcello looking good bodes well for us in the future. Lets keep the momentum going versus the Sox.

Quote Originally Posted by LionFan2k View Post
    3 outta 4 vs the Yanks with Bondo, JV and Porcello looking good bodes well for us in the future. Lets keep the momentum going versus the Sox.
    Quality starts from Porcello,Bonderman and Verlander against the MFY's and the first to shut them out twice in a series in 11 years.

Scherzer and Sizemore sent down to AAA, Guillen to play second when he returns. Danny Worth and Galarraga called up.

I actually like these moves. You can't have .220 hitters 6-9. Hopefully Inge can become a .260 hitter like he has in the past, Avilla replaces Laird, and with Guillen replacing Sizemore, now Everett is the only hole in the line-up and his defense makes it worth it.

I will also be interested to see what Danny Worth does in short stint. Will be a good trial for him. Also, Galarraga was pitching well in AAA so hopefully he can do the same in the Big Leagues.

The problem with the Tigers this season is that it never feels good or pulled together. Not like a team with a winning record should feel. We win but it's by the skin of our teeth. I have no faith in the bullpen. The last three hitters in the order are almost automatic outs, etc. These moves indicated to me that DD feels we can win the division this year. It also feels like we could just as easily fall apart, but who knows. Bonderman and Willis despite their records aren't pitching all that well, but have had good games. Can we win 95-98 games? Who knows. The problem is the Twins are always a very well-built team and never seem to have bad pitching.
    The cake is a lie. I'm pretty sure the numbers in the pie chart are made up too.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast