Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What's your criteria for league MVP?

We have the thread over here for who should be MVP this season. If you're just making a case for that, post it there.

This is about what criteria you would use to judge who deserves it, or what you think the criteria should be to vote on it.

First I look right at the words involved, "Most Valuable Player", and jump right to the middle with value. It's not simply about the best stats (there is an OPOY award for a reason) or the team with the best record, but the player that adds the most value to his team's success.

If I'm picking MVP, I'm almost always starting with a QB. They touch the ball every play and are the most important position in the game. And when I look at them, I'm looking for the person that does the best job of overcoming some adversity on his team. Maybe they're not the most talented team in the league, but they keep winning because he puts them over the top in key areas of the game (4th quarter, 3rd downs, road games, etc.). You can have a great QB season and be 8-8, but that's not going to be MVP worthy in my book. You still have to get the wins while producing some very respectable numbers. And you need to show up against the good teams. A lot of bad teams out there this year that guys have padded some numbers against. The few quality matchups on the schedule are important to do well in.

Valuable is the key word.

There is absolutely no other position on the football field that is more valuable then the quarterback. None. They touch the ball every play and when they screw up they hurt the team more then any other player on the field. That doesn't mean if they do well that their team is going to win every game, nope, they can do everything right and their team can still loose. However, if they do everything wrong their is no way in heck that they can win either.*

This does not mean a non-QB player can't get my vote, but they have to somehow win despite average QB play. Like Barry Sanders.

* - I shouldn't say always, absolutes are bad in everything, but bad QB play generally results in losses, while good QB doesn't necessarily result in wins. That is my main point.

It sure as hell isn't based on who has the worst backup.

It's largely been based on the player with the best statistical season historically.

If I were voting, I'd be looking for the most outstanding performance that year, considering situation. You don't get bonuses for putting up great stats becaue you play with a ****ty defense. You don't get extra credit for wins when you play with a great D. And yeah, I think this is largely an offensive award,with a few exceptions, because you can have a larger impact on the game with the ball in your hands than you can on defense.
    User CP>Edit Options>Thread display options

If you're fortunate enough to spend 5 minutes with Tim Tebow, your life is better for it.

I see tough guys like you and I slap the Sh!t out of them

One of the best teams best players. Brady eliminated himself tonight. Peyton, Brees and Favre all have a great case. Probably will go to whoever scores the most.

If the Titans were better all year Chris Johnson could get it. 2,000 yards is no joke.

The Center touches the ball every play...

Does the name Keith Millard ring a bell to anyone? He got one MVP vote in 1988, 2 in 1989. I have seriously never heard this name before. He was a DT for the Vikings.

Who has consistently played great every game. No off games allowed. You were the reason your team won and made it into the playoffs. Your whole team took on a facet of your personality.

By that criteria, Vince Young and CJ gotta get some love.

Quote Originally Posted by StillSwinging View Post
    Does the name Keith Millard ring a bell to anyone? He got one MVP vote in 1988, 2 in 1989. I have seriously never heard this name before. He was a DT for the Vikings.
    You've never heard of Keith Millard? How long have you been watching football? Are you a teenager....excuse me, a young adult??

Quote Originally Posted by VOTC View Post
    No off games allowed.
    I was going to mention that at first, but it's almost impossible to have a season like that. Some day you're just going to run into a tough defense (or a so-so defense that's playing tough) and things won't go right. I was going to go back and look at some past MVP winners to see how many so-so games they had that year.

Keith Millard was an animal for a few seasons before injuries and bad decision making ruined him. He and Doleman were a great inside-outside combo. I believe for a while he held the sack record for a DT? Maybe still does?

Quote Originally Posted by VOTC View Post
    You've never heard of Keith Millard? How long have you been watching football? Are you a teenager....excuse me, a young adult??
    Wasn't old enough to watch the Vikings from 85-89. That's for sure. I never hear that name come up anywhere. I know about Doleman, who he played with.

Why was his career so short? Injuries?

I remember Millard. He was on that cusp of becoming a household name/universally acknowledged great player then bam. Damn good pass rusher who played the run very well. He did have some kinda outrageous season sack-wise one year.
    I'm your mama, I'm your daddy
    I'm that nigga in the alley
    I'm your doctor when in need
    Want some coke, have some weed
    You know me, I'm your friend
    Your main boy, thick and thin

I'm your pusherman
    I'm your pusherman

Ain't I clean, bad machine
    Super cool, super mean
    Dealin' good for the Man,
    Superfly, here I stand
    Secret stash, heavy bread
    Baddest bitches in the bed

I'm your pusherman
    I'm your pusherman
    I'm your pusherman

We have the thread over here for who should be MVP this season. If you're just making a case for that, post it there.

This is about what criteria you would use to judge who deserves it, or what you think the criteria should be to vote on it.

First I look right at the words involved, "Most Valuable Player", and jump right to the middle with value. It's not simply about the best stats (there is an OPOY award for a reason) or the team with the best record, but the player that adds the most value to his team's success.

If I'm picking MVP, I'm almost always starting with a QB. They touch the ball every play and are the most important position in the game. And when I look at them, I'm looking for the person that does the best job of overcoming some adversity on his team. Maybe they're not the most talented team in the league, but they keep winning because he puts them over the top in key areas of the game (4th quarter, 3rd downs, road games, etc.). You can have a great QB season and be 8-8, but that's not going to be MVP worthy in my book. You still have to get the wins while producing some very respectable numbers. And you need to show up against the good teams. A lot of bad teams out there this year that guys have padded some numbers against. The few quality matchups on the schedule are important to do well in.
    So by your definition, is Philip Rivers or Vince Young the MVP this year, assuming they continue their trend?

Far as my criteria for MVP goes. For the most part I have no problem with it going to the best/most valuable player on the best or one of the best teams.

But there are situations/circumstances that can override that such as a player having a season for the ages regardless if his team is the best team or one of the best teams. OJ's 2000 yard season in 73 would be a great example of that. Best year by a RB I've ever seen bar none and done in 14 games. His 75 season turned out even greater in some ways as well in my eyes.

Jerry Rice's (even though he did play for one of the league's best teams at the time) is another. Moss's record breaking year, Harrison's record breaking year, even Art Monk's record breaking (he's one of my fav players ever) in no way compares to what Rice did that year in only 12 games.

Kurt Warner hittin the scene was like watching a real life fairytale come true right in front of you. I had never seen a QB (not even Joe Montana) consistently make perfect passes as far down the field as Warner did his first 2 or 3 years.

Lawrence Taylor had the most amazing season I've ever seen a defensive player have. Not simply a great stat-wise season, but habitually game changing.

So while I have what could be called a general set of rules for MVP. Depending on circumstances and performance nothing is set in stone for me. It's one reason I think Chris Johnson has thus far shown himself to be more than worthy of MVP. He's doing things I haven't really seen. The big thing for me concerning him is will he keep it up?
    Last edited by Breed; 12-01-2009 at 06:02 PM.
    I'm your mama, I'm your daddy
    I'm that nigga in the alley
    I'm your doctor when in need
    Want some coke, have some weed
    You know me, I'm your friend
    Your main boy, thick and thin

I'm your pusherman
    I'm your pusherman

Ain't I clean, bad machine
    Super cool, super mean
    Dealin' good for the Man,
    Superfly, here I stand
    Secret stash, heavy bread
    Baddest bitches in the bed

I'm your pusherman
    I'm your pusherman
    I'm your pusherman

That's it. My vote is for Nick Mangold. Best C in the league = MVP. Holla!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast