Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Why can't you return a two-point conversion for a TD?

Suppose a team goes for 2. The QB throws a pick. Logically, shouldn't the defense be able to try for a TD? Same goes if they block the XP. What's the rationale?

You can do that in college. I think you should be able to do it in the NFL as well. The whole concept is an offense trying for points against a defense, so why not let the defense be able to score as well?

Quote Originally Posted by vikingfan View Post
    Suppose a team goes for 2. The QB throws a pick. Logically, shouldn't the defense be able to try for a TD? Same goes if they block the XP. What's the rationale?
    Logically, what happens when you miss an extra point? Now apply that to the 2 pt. convert?
    "the blade itself incites to violence." - Homer

--

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - Kung fu Monkey

I thought you could, but the resulting score only resulted in two points. Which makes a certain kind of sense, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by daninoz View Post
    I thought you could, but the resulting score only resulted in two points. Which makes a certain kind of sense, I guess.
    I think that is the rule for college. The defense can return it to the other end zone resulting in 2 points. I do not think you can return it for any points in the NFL.
    Reggie White, the warrior, the legend.

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
    I think that is the rule for college. The defense can return it to the other end zone resulting in 2 points. I do not think you can return it for any points in the NFL.
    That would make sense. It would certainly be pretty *****ed up if you prevent the other team from only getting 2 points at most and somehow get at least 6 out of it.
    Draft well and then coach em up!

Find the next Ronnie Lott & Justin Smith & Jerry Rice & Deion Sanders

Why should one team have a chance to score 2 points on a play, for getting into the endzone, but the other team gets 6 or 7 on the exact same play if they get it in the endzone?

I thought it was 2 too, must be just college though.

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    Why should one team have a chance to score 2 points on a play, for getting into the endzone, but the other team gets 6 or 7 on the exact same play if they get it in the endzone?
    The flip side could be your given the ball 2 yards out to score your 2 points and if the defense stops you and some how manages to go 98 yards on that one play and by all rights have scored a TD why shouldn't they be given credit for it? Makes just as much sense IMO.

The reason it's not allowed, I believe, is because it's not part of a continuous series of downs.

It's called an "extra" point because it's an automatic attempt tacked on to a touchdown. Once the attempt has been foiled, that's it.

Why college does it differently, I don't know.
    "Biologists must constantly keep in mind that what they see was not designed but rather evolved." - Francis Crick.

"For since the creation of the world, God's invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse." - Romans 1:20

"It's one reason I hate reading what Tyke writes. It just annoys the hell out of me." - Big Pink Monkey

Exactly. By definition the extra point is a "try" and not your normal scrimmage down. The "try" has its own set of rules one of which is the play is considered over if the defense gets possession of the ball. It's about as open to debate as to questioning why a field goal is only worth 3 points instead of 4 or 5.

I like the college rules. It adds a fun wrinkle to the game. If you block an XP kick and run it back, you should get 1 point. If you intercept a 2-point conversion and run it back, you should get 2 points. I like that a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by tyke1doe View Post
    The reason it's not allowed, I believe, is because it's not part of a continuous series of downs.

It's called an "extra" point because it's an automatic attempt tacked on to a touchdown. Once the attempt has been foiled, that's it.

Why college does it differently, I don't know.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBay View Post
    Exactly. By definition the extra point is a "try" and not your normal scrimmage down. The "try" has its own set of rules one of which is the play is considered over if the defense gets possession of the ball. It's about as open to debate as to questioning why a field goal is only worth 3 points instead of 4 or 5.
    So your answer is "because that's the rule" great forum material. When presented with the "college is different" argument you say. Not sure why and I guess college doesn't call it an "extra" point "try"?

It's obvious you can't return it for a TD because the rule says you can't, but why would that be a rule? If your stopped on 4th down from getting a first down it's a turnover on downs, if your intercepted do they take the ball back to the line of scrimage because the try failed meaning it's a turnover on downs. You failed to convert so it's first down for the other team from where you failed, they don't stop the other team if they recover a fumble on 4th down or if they intercept the ball on 4th down. They allow the play to continue, what is different in a two point conversion or an extra point attempt? A turnover is a turnover no matter when it happens be it 4th down or on a two point attempt. It's a rule yes, but one that makes no sense at all when put up against similar situations.

The defense should not have the opportunity to return the "PAT" or "2 Point Conversion" for a TD precisely because the defense should not be able to score more points than the offense possibly could.

Why is a defensive TD worth 6 points? Because that's what an offensive TD is worth. That's the best the offense can do on THIS play, so it's the best the defense should be able to do on THIS play.

Now, I firmly believe that the defense SHOULD be able to score the same number of points on the "PAT" or the "2 Point Conversion". I.e., I'm all for an intercepted "2 Point Conversion" attempt, ran back to the opposing end zone, being worth 2 points to the defense. But 6 is too many.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigwill View Post
    The defense should not have the opportunity to return the "PAT" or "2 Point Conversion" for a TD precisely because the defense should not be able to score more points than the offense possibly could.

Why is a defensive TD worth 6 points? Because that's what an offensive TD is worth. That's the best the offense can do on THIS play, so it's the best the defense should be able to do on THIS play.

Now, I firmly believe that the defense SHOULD be able to score the same number of points on the "PAT" or the "2 Point Conversion". I.e., I'm all for an intercepted "2 Point Conversion" attempt, ran back to the opposing end zone, being worth 2 points to the defense. But 6 is too many.
    This would be fair and make sense. The current system doesn't make sense.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast