Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

San Diego Padres 2009

I like the heartof this ballclub a lot especially Heath Bell who is totally legit. The hardest thing to do is replace a legand and a hall of famer and he's been u to the task so far. I like that he has a voice in the clubhouse too. Once we get Silva to the long reliever role when Gaudin comes we should be even better. I would think that when CS Baek comes back rom the DL it will send either Corriea to the pen or Shaun Hill. I'd like to see Hill remain the #5, he has some upside to him if healthy.
    XBL Tag: Hook the Jaw

Shaun Hill hasn't thrown 100 IP in a single season in his big league career. I like him, but I'm not sure he can ever be counted on as anything more than a #5 SP platoon due to his health.

Doesnt look like Hill will do it this yr either :(

Also, Mark Prior was throwing some good bullpen sessions until this week when he suffered from arm stiffness which for him isnt good. poor kid cant catch a break. thats got to eat him raw inside knowing if he were healthy he could dominate in a professional sport, i would me.

Which is exactly why they need to trade guys like Peavy and A Gon for bounties of players.

Maybe Kouz too and move headley back to 3B.

Vitters/Marshall is a good starting point to the peavy deal, with another prospect or 2 in there as well. Jay Jackson would probably be one for me as well.

A-Gon you should move because you got Blanks coming up and he really has no where else to play, he's not a LF.

I think they'll move Peavy although Moorad has said that the new ownership can afford Peavy.
    Vitters is the blue chipper of the Cubs minors but the Padres are pretty well off with 3rd baseman. Why move Headley to 3rd, if a deal for Kouz goes down, only to move him back to the outfield when Vitters comes up. They also have a couple of really nice 3rd basemen in A ball right now.

I cant imagine them trading AGon. He's a local kid w/ Mexican heritage that Moorad has proclaimed he wants to tap into heavily. Signed thru 2011. I would trade Kouz, move Headley to 3rd and put Blanks in LF. Blanks might need to be dealt. He could be the odd man out.

Q, your a jinx bro. Saw an article today from SD papers that Chicago is heavily pursuing Peavy........The Chicago White Sox

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Q, your a jinx bro. Saw an article today from SD papers that Chicago is heavily pursuing Peavy........The Chicago White Sox
    LMAO.

Sorry man, I just think of the logical conclusions.

You can build a serious package around Marshall and Vitters.

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    I think they'll move Peavy although Moorad has said that the new ownership can afford Peavy.
    Vitters is the blue chipper of the Cubs minors but the Padres are pretty well off with 3rd baseman. Why move Headley to 3rd, if a deal for Kouz goes down, only to move him back to the outfield when Vitters comes up. They also have a couple of really nice 3rd basemen in A ball right now.

I cant imagine them trading AGon. He's a local kid w/ Mexican heritage that Moorad has proclaimed he wants to tap into heavily. Signed thru 2011. I would trade Kouz, move Headley to 3rd and put Blanks in LF. Blanks might need to be dealt. He could be the odd man out.
    You don't trade A Gonz. He's too hard to replace and he's not even that expensive. The guy is one of the top 5 power hitters in the game. Pujols is on another level,as is Manny at times, but then you have the Morneau,Cabrera,Gonzalez group. They all are guys you build around, guys who can make a lineup look MUCH better than its talent says it should look.
    The Pads are being really stupid right now. With Peavy and Gonzalez in their primes, as well as Chris young, they will never be more than a few pieces away from contending for the divison. Especially in the NL West. They have a guy who can carry a lineup and a 1,2 SP tandem that can hang with any twosome in the majors. Most teams only dream about having all 3 of those pieces in place. Even most of the big money teams don't have that kind of base. If this guy is having money problems, tanking the franchise isn't the answer. Why don't you just run the business correctly and make money? Wouldn't that be a better solution to a lack of funds? Or sell the team if you can't afford it. Making the team terrible and trading all your valuable assets won't help, it will just make you lose money for years to come. Peavy draws 5,000 extra people a game, imagine what they'd draw if they were even a .500 team over the duration.

Then they need to move Blanks and get something serious for him. Either a SP or a SS.

what they need to do is move Giles to a team that he will accept a trade to...even for practically nothing...and even if they have to pick up some of his bloated salary. Giles is done and he is the guy that needs to be dealt to start pairing the payroll. I would like to see them move Kouz too...now that he is starting to hit a little bit, he may be more marketable and allow them to move Headley to 3B. I would be happy if they could move Giles and Kouz and pick up another BP arm or two.
    RIP Junior Seau San Diego Chargers Legend

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewL View Post
    I think trading Peavy now would be stupid. He makes about half what a pitcher of his talent makes in Free Agency. They have him under contract through 2011.

Despite winning 10 in a row they are only hitting .222

Lets face it, they won't catch the dodgers, but if they can get one more player to step up and hit, they can compete.

I don't care for Kous either. Seems like a total air head.
    This year maybe.

He's pretty much properly compensated starting next year (17 mil or so).

at this point there are only a few games out of the wildcard and sitting at .500. Moorad should just pony up and grab some pieces to add to this and make a run at the playoffs. Colo, SF and AZ are very beatable and would give us some easier wins. a young CY award winner comes around only once a generation sometimes, build around his arse.
    During that turrible 20 game stretch the attendance was coming in around 15-18000. Even when Peavy pitched at home it went under 20,000 which kinda surprised me and couldve been a sign to management that they are paying this guy 11 million per yr and people arent even coming to the park to watch him pitch. Now that they have reeled off 10 straight the attendance was around 38,000. Granted it was the weekend but winning sells tickets apparently not Peavy.

knowing that Maddux had/has a great influence with Jake makes me wonder if he has said something to him about staying in the NL. Or reaffirmed his notion of NL play

Pads did really well getting Gallagher from Oak for Hairston.

He could be the next Gaudin/Correia. His metrics starting for the Cubs last year were legit, and now he's in a pitcher's park.
    Mac9, to the true warrior. the ultimate competitor and the most worth adversary any athlete has ever faced off against. He was an inspiration for both his on the field play, off the field contributions and his leadership. The world is now a worse place without him.

"Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity" - Justice Antonin Scalia

"Just because you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it doesn't mean you're wrong."
    - Ghandi

Is that official. I keep reading in posts but not in any article.

Also Mat Latos to start this wknd. 21, started in Low-A and in just a half season has made it to the bigs. It doesnt hurt that the Padres suck eggs

mlbtr said it was official.
    Mac9, to the true warrior. the ultimate competitor and the most worth adversary any athlete has ever faced off against. He was an inspiration for both his on the field play, off the field contributions and his leadership. The world is now a worse place without him.

"Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity" - Justice Antonin Scalia

"Just because you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it doesn't mean you're wrong."
    - Ghandi

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast