Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    Also, there is word that they are expecting Bondo back, but will use him to patch up the pen. That would be fantastic IMO.
    I've always thought a healthy Bondo with two great pitches could be a lights out closer. Pretty expensive pen guy though. But considering what they have gotten out of him the past two years, anything would be better.

Yeah, he's a bit pricey for a reliever, but like you said, considering he is currently giving us zero production, we might as well take what we can get. if he ends up closing, his price tag is actually relatively fair.

3rd in a row over the Chisox today. A sweep would put us in great position, but we have done our job already. I really think our starting pitching can keep us in this thing. I just hope we make at least a minor acquisition.

Rumors of Milton Bradley, no thanks to that. Guillen needs to DH anyways IMO. Plus we don't need in on his contract. Its not horrible, but its too much risk for a team with as many bad deals as we have. It would have to be a corner OF who could also defend. Maybe Luke Scott.

Tigers trade for Washburn

Send Luke French and a Single A lefty for him. Gives DET a veteran lefty pitcher who is having a great year. They are saying he will even better playing in CoPa.

http://freep.com/article/20090731/SP...n-from-Seattle

I don't see it. Safeco is a VERY hitter friendly park and Washburn is a flyball pitcher who will have much worse OF D behind him.
    Mac9, to the true warrior. the ultimate competitor and the most worth adversary any athlete has ever faced off against. He was an inspiration for both his on the field play, off the field contributions and his leadership. The world is now a worse place without him.

"Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity" - Justice Antonin Scalia

"Just because you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it doesn't mean you're wrong."
    - Ghandi

We needed innings really bad. We were depending on French and Porcello at the bottom of the rotation. Galaragga appears to have it back, but still, Porcello should go back to the minors soon IMO and French was not a guy I wanted to depend on during a pennant race. We gave up 2 decent lefty prospects, but we kept Crosby and thats all that matters to me. I didn't see the other 2 being a big part of the rotation in the near future.
    Comerica is a very similar park to Safeco. Washburn should do just as well there. The D is a little worse, but not by much. We are playing guys like Clete Thomas,Ryan Raburn,Don Kelly etc. out there now instead of Maggs,Guillen and Thames.Plus there is Granderson in CF and we play amazing IF defense. I still hold out some hope that they will acquire someone like Josh Willingham. They have the ammo to do it and I think they could get a decent OF through waivers. Either way, we shouldn't have to score too many runs with this staff. We are going to be tough to beat if we make the playoffs, we're built for a short series. Gotta have a healthy Guillen and Inge and a steady bullpen though, thats for sure.

What can you guys tell me about French?

Quote Originally Posted by seahawksfan837 View Post
    What can you guys tell me about French?
    He looked very good in his 4 or 5 starts with the major league club this year. He's a typicaly lefty. Not overpowering, but he has good control of 3 or 4 pitches. I think his future will be something like Perkins in Minnesota or Zach Duke in Pittsburgh. Robles is probably the better prospect, but he's a few years away.

I'd also like to point out that Washburn has been so good this year because of the split finger he added. This has allowed him to get a lot more ground balls, so his fly ball reputation does not really apply anymore. He was a fly ball guy when he was failing miserably, but if he keeps pitching like he has this year, then the Tigers IF defense should make him even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    I'd also like to point out that Washburn has been so good this year because of the split finger he added. This has allowed him to get a lot more ground balls, so his fly ball reputation does not really apply anymore. He was a fly ball guy when he was failing miserably, but if he keeps pitching like he has this year, then the Tigers IF defense should make him even better.
    False.

His GB% is at his usual rate (38%), very much a flyball pitcher.

His reasons for success ahve been a 2% increase in K rate and an unsustainably low BABIP.
    Mac9, to the true warrior. the ultimate competitor and the most worth adversary any athlete has ever faced off against. He was an inspiration for both his on the field play, off the field contributions and his leadership. The world is now a worse place without him.

"Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity" - Justice Antonin Scalia

"Just because you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it doesn't mean you're wrong."
    - Ghandi

Well, it's been awhile since I last posted.. lets check up with the latest happenings.

Tigers get Washburn for Robles and French.

This deal was made possible by Luke French looking good in his few outings this year, which elevated his value. I'm not convinced he's much more than a 4-5 starter or a long reliever in the future. Robles is a solid prospect, but as Nas said, he's atleast 4 years away.

I was disappointed that we didn't get a bat, but it looks like Carlos will be a welcome addition, even if he is only batting left handed for now. I wish they would cut Maggs AB's more than they do, I really DO NOT want him reaching his 18 million dollar option for next year.

It's been an up and down few weeks since the break, but I think we are headed into the right direction. With the Sox adding Peavy and the Twins adding Cabrera both teams got better, with the Sox expecting Peavy back in September. Should be an interesting final two months.

Quote Originally Posted by LionFan2k View Post
    I was disappointed that we didn't get a bat, but it looks like Carlos will be a welcome addition, even if he is only batting left handed for now. I wish they would cut Maggs AB's more than they do, I really DO NOT want him reaching his 18 million dollar option for next year.
    IIRC: Aug 17th seems to be an important date in regards to Maggs. The Tigers want to sign a couple draft picks represented by Boras by the 17th. Sportswriters are are basically speculating that Thames will be in RF full time and Maggs may be released or AB cut back.

Maggs wont' be allowed to reach that incentive one way or the other. I like that he plays against lefties. It really controls his ABs and also allows us to keep him around. He can at points be a dangerous hitter against lefties and he has some postseason experience.

2 good wins in a row after 3 ugly ones vs. Boston. Verlander and Washburn both dominated. I know KC is a AAA offense, but Washburn was fantastic. Nice to see guys like Inge and Rayburn step up when we really needed it.

Definitely worried about the Maggs situtation. We are already stuck with Guillen who is strictly a DH. We cannot afford paying him 18 mil next year. I just don't understand. I guess I don't see us making huge FA moves next year anyways, since we are going to play a few young players and will probably re-sign Rodney and Polanco(1 year,2nd team option). We also have Verlander,Jackson and Granderson who are going to need big extensions soon, so we won't want to commit to a big long term deal next year. Maybe a BP arm or a SS, but nothing too major. Here is how i see the team next year.

I think we will split C duties between Avila and Laird. Gotta have the solid defensive vet around, but we need more offense there and we need to develop a future there. I think Polanco gets the one more year. He is so solid defensively and such a smart hitter, which we are in short supply of. Replacing him with a rookie is a big step back and I'm not sure Sizemore is ready.
    I think Everett and Santiago come back at SS. The combination works for us. Being great on defense is most important at that position. Santiago's bat is getting a little better too, so maybe he plays more next year. Having both means we can pinch hit for one of them late in games if necessary.
    We might grab one veteran for the OF, but I think we let Ramirez,Wells,Thomas and maybe Strieby compete for most of the playing time. I think they are worth giving the ABs. If it doesn't work out, we can rent a veteran in July.

Jackson and Verlander are obvious at the top of the rotation. Porcello could become an ace caliber pitcher next year and Crosby or Figaro could be ready for a spot in the rotation by next year. Galaragga is worth keeping around. He's having a sophomore slump, but I think Knapp can turn him around. He has pretty good stuff and a good demeanor for a SP. It wouldn't kill us to add one more veteran to the roster or to re-sign Washburn for a year or 2 if possible. It'd be nice to have a guy beyond the top 3 who you can count on to eat up consistent innings all year long behind the top 3.

I think Rodney gets brought back if its reasonable, if not, we might bring back Lyons so we have at least one guy with closer experience back there.
    I think Bondo will be in the pen(hopefully by this year), don't know if Zumaya ever pitches for us again. We have a ton of young bullpen arms. I think Perry,Bondo,Seay and Miner or Bonine as the long reliever are pretty much guaranteed spots.
    Between Dolsi,Fien,Sattewhite,Weinhardt,Green,Jacobson,Jen sen and more power arms like them on the way, we will have no problem filling out a bullpen, regardless of unexpected struggles or injuries.

How does everyone else see this team next year.

Laird/Avila.. possibly Dusty Ryan depending on if they want to season Avila some more in AAA.
    Miggy/Strieby
    Sizemore... I think they let Polly walk depending on how much he wants.
    Everett/Santiago sounds about right.
    Inge
    Raburn/Thames
    Grandy/Ramirez
    Thomas/Maggs (there is no way he doesn't reach the AB clause.. we are on the hook for 18 mil)

Verlander/Jackson/Porcello/Galarraga/Bonderman

Perry, Lyon, Seay, Fu Te Ni, Zoom, Bonine, Miner,

Sounds about right to me.. still a bit early to be thinking that far ahead.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast