Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    You said it all pretty much. Figaro gave us the best start we've had out of that spot in a while. I don't know much about him or what his long term sustainability is, but I liked what I saw. I definitely want to give him a chance.

I just hope Maggs can get in a groove after the benching is over, reportedly Tuesday v. the Cubs.

JL switched up the rotation to this

Verlander-Figaro-Jackson-Porcello-Galarraga

Good move splitting up the back to back starts for JV and EJ... the bullpen was getting taxed by having Porcello who is only allowed to throw 90-100 pitches a game, Galarraga only lasting 5-6 innings and Figaro still being young and only going to throw 90-100. Gives them a day to relax when JV and EJ are on the hill.

I didn't know they were doing that, but its definitely smart. The pen was getting taxed, like you said.

I've been thinking about this the past few weeks with the lack of hitting.. it's obvious we need another impact bat in the lineup. Guillen will be back after the AS break, but who knows how long he'll hold up? The guy has so many injury issues it's not even funny! Maggs has ZERO power, I'm not worried about the lack of homers its more the lack of doubles that is troubling, especially with how well he used to hit it into the spacious gaps in LCF and RCF at CoPa. Bottom line, we need another big bat to put behind Cabrera and before Thames. Larish, Thomas, Kelly, Anderson and Raburn are nice bench guys, but really should be more situational starters when somebody needs a day off. The only one out of that group I could really see starting is Don Kelly.

Here are the options for an impact bat at the trading deadline:

Matt Holliday, LF, Oakland
    .269 AVG, .368 OBP, .422 SLG, 8 HRS, 39 RBIS

His numbers have dropped a bit, but he went from a great hitters park to probably the worst hitters park in baseball. He's a decent fielder, and can provide some pop at the plate. May cost a bit too much for DD's taste, they would want atleast two good prospects and a couple decent ones.

Adam Dunn, LF, Washington
    .267 AVG, .402 OBP, .529 SLG, 18 HRS, 49 RBI's

Horrible defensive outfielder, but he has legitimate pop, and from the left side of the plate, which this team has none of those types right now. SO's are high, but he can put the ball in the seats.

Those are my two big ones right now, but there are some lessers I may look at later.

Maggs hit a HR today, minus the locks. That was good to see. 6 in a row if they hold on for the 9th.

Quote Originally Posted by LionFan2k View Post
    I've been thinking about this the past few weeks with the lack of hitting.. it's obvious we need another impact bat in the lineup. Guillen will be back after the AS break, but who knows how long he'll hold up? The guy has so many injury issues it's not even funny! Maggs has ZERO power, I'm not worried about the lack of homers its more the lack of doubles that is troubling, especially with how well he used to hit it into the spacious gaps in LCF and RCF at CoPa. Bottom line, we need another big bat to put behind Cabrera and before Thames. Larish, Thomas, Kelly, Anderson and Raburn are nice bench guys, but really should be more situational starters when somebody needs a day off. The only one out of that group I could really see starting is Don Kelly.

Here are the options for an impact bat at the trading deadline:

Matt Holliday, LF, Oakland
    .269 AVG, .368 OBP, .422 SLG, 8 HRS, 39 RBIS

His numbers have dropped a bit, but he went from a great hitters park to probably the worst hitters park in baseball. He's a decent fielder, and can provide some pop at the plate. May cost a bit too much for DD's taste, they would want atleast two good prospects and a couple decent ones.

Adam Dunn, LF, Washington
    .267 AVG, .402 OBP, .529 SLG, 18 HRS, 49 RBI's

Horrible defensive outfielder, but he has legitimate pop, and from the left side of the plate, which this team has none of those types right now. SO's are high, but he can put the ball in the seats.

Those are my two big ones right now, but there are some lessers I may look at later.
    2 things. We aren't a better hitters park than Oakland and we have gutted our farm system trading for vets, so I'm not sure how much we can afford to give up. Actually, I'm not sure they can take on the money even.
    Dunn's pricetag in a trade is said to be astronomical. He'd be a great add, but I don't know who we give up.

Larrish, either Wilkin Ramirez or Casper Wells, Lambert and French? Thats a lot more depth skimmed off the top of our system and I'm not sure its even enough. Dunn would look absolutely awesome in our 4 hole and DH spot though. Put Granderson,Cabrera,Dunn back to back and dare people to pitch to one of them. That would be sick.

Tough loss Friday night, and then the blowout Saturday... rough two games in Houston so far. Joel HAS to throw strikes, but maybe he's been overused lately.

Either way, still in first place and we are almost into July.. a good sign either way.

I disagree about our farm system being depleted.. we have a lot of talent down in the minors. Erie is stacked, and there are a few interesting prospects at Lakeland and W.Michigan.

I think Dunn's price will come down as the deadline approaches, and Holliday is probably too expensive. What about Nick Johnson? He might be a bit more affordable and he could probably play one of the corner OF positions.

By the way, Maggs still sucks. Grounds out with RISP WAYY TOO much this year.

HUGE WIN today by the boys... avoided the sweep with Brandon's top of the 9th 2 OUT 2 run HR.. with Rodney coming in with the save in the 9th. Hard to believe he is still perfect in save opps this year. He's a roller coaster, but I'd much rather see him in the game with a one run lead then a 3 run lead, seems he focuses better without the cushion.

Figaro sent down, French up to pitch Thursday in Minny. Makes sense, especially with the M&M boys up there. I think they'll yo-yo these two guys the rest of the year, use French for a few starts, use Figaro and so on and so forth depending on upcoming match ups. I like it so much better than the Walk-Train out there imploding once every five days.

Robertson on the DL with a mass in his elbow, Fu Te Ni up, who has been good at Toledo. Great move, and I'm hoping Nate gets shelved for the season with some type of phantom injury. Every time they bring him in he manages to pitch to one lefty, who gets a hit, then gets pulled. What a waste of money D-Train and Robertson have been.

Out to Oakland for 3, then Minny for 3. I hate going to the Metrodome, I'll be happy to come out of there with just a win.

GO TIGERS!

With how hot you guys are I'll be happy to take 2 of 3 from you at home.

I love the Tigs, but I'd be really surprised if they take more than one in Minny. We have been great at home this year, but combined with our decent road record and our mental block in the Metrodome I think that spells trouble. Should be a good series either way, the Tigers have played more road games then home so far so after the AS break we have more home games then road til the end of the season.

Man that was a tough road trip!! 3-6 isn't all that great, but it could have been alot worse. Glad to be coming back to CoPa with the Royals coming to town.

JV, EJ and Grandy to the all star game.. very deserving picks. I'm hoping Inge wins the final vote, he also deserves to be there. I'd imagine he won't, but that didn't stop me from voting for him ten times and I will probably vote more if I get a chance.

Hopefully Miggy can get to hitting again, he's hit another dry spell. Should be an interesting last week before the break, lets get some wins and get the boys rested for the second half battle that will be the AL Central!

Go TIGERS!

At least Galaragga is looking good again. We need him to contend. There is only so much Porcello will give us this year. He's going to have an innings limit and he's already starting to have some trouble. He's a young pitcher and teams are starting to figure him out. I have no doubt he'll make the necessary adjustments, but it will take time, its a process.

We need to add a bat real soon. Maybe a SP too while we're at it. I still like the idea of Huff and Guthrie. I'd build the package around Larrish. A hitter is certainly more important though. If they are going to cut Maggs, I have no problem with them going all out after Dunn. He has rare power that even Comerica Park can't hold back. Cabrera needs some protection ASAP. Then we have Granderson,Polanco,Cabrera,Dunn,Inge as the base of our offense. Its still an offense with a lot of question marks, but its enough to win a playoff series if Verlander and Jackson are going good.

Well, we have reached the unoffical halfway point of the season, the All Star Break, in 1st place. Can't ask for much more than that. 3.5 games up on the White Sox and 4 on the Twins.

JV got his tenth win today, along with two homers by Brandon and a 5 RBI day from Clete. Guillen will probably be back sometime in late July, and his switch hitting bat will be needed if we will continue to stay in first. Should be a great race to the finish line in the Central.

GO TIGERS!

Getting a healthy Guillen back would be an unbelievable bonus. His bat is a great weapon to have around. He's a very smart hitter who can hurt you from both sides.

hopefully, with Magglio now only starting against lefties, we can keep him around and not have to worry about him hitting his accelerator clause. I think he's capable of pulling a David Ortiz and if he's healthy, he is also a dangerous hitter.

Getting so much production from our youngsters has been nice, but we still need to add a hitter and a pitcher.

Great first half though. Regardless of how we did it, we're in 1st.

2 huge wins in a doubleheader vs. the Chisox today. The day started with us tied for the division lead and ended with us up 2 games. One of the wins from an Eddie Bonine start, so thats huge. We still have Jackson going tomorrow that means. Our SP has been huge lately, even better than normal. Its too bad our offense has been so bad. If we hadn't wasted 2 great starts vs. the Yankees and another by Galaragga the other night(I think he's back), we would have a solid lead in this division. As is, we still have to win another game in this series to ensure a division lead when its over.

Nice to see Guillen back with a bang, thats for sure.

Bonine down, Casey Fien up. I love that kid, hope he's here to stay. He had to work on his breaking ball a bit, so he got sent down after camp, but the guy simply throws strikes and thats what we need in our bullpen right now. Gimme a guy like Fien over a guy like Zumaya anydays.

Also, there is word that they are expecting Bondo back, but will use him to patch up the pen. That would be fantastic IMO.
    Last edited by Nastradamus; 07-25-2009 at 05:11 AM.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast