Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LionFan2k View Post
    Offensively our OF hasn't been all that great.. Granderson has more homers but isn't hitting for average very well, Maggs has shown no power and Anderson/Thomas are good young players but still undiscplinted in the batters box.

They have been exceptionally defensively though, and that I think at this point is better than a good offensive outfield. They show speed on the basepaths as well... which has helped this team win games and keep control of first place.
    Well said. Its true that we have been winning games by doing the little things, thanks to our pitching keeping us in most games. But, we will need more production from Granderson and Ordonez eventually. I'd like to see granderson hitting in the 2 or 3 spot, in front of Cabrera either way. I think he would get more pitches to hit there. I never liked him as a leadoff guy, but we haven't had anyone to replace him, so I understand. Polanco not hitting his usual .300, consistently cranking out hits, has really hurt Granderson and the whole lineup in general. Maggs needs to at least be hitting doubles if not homers(and getting RBI). If Maggs can't be a 4 or 5 hitter again, we need to make a move. It doesn't have to be an Adam Dunn that we bring in, though that would be nice, but we need a veteran bat who can boost our production.

Is Polanco a FA after this year?

This Tigers run has hurt them long term IMO, cause now they're likely stuck with Maggs bloated contract much longer than necessary.

Cutting him would save the team over 30 million in 2010 and 2011.

Money that needs to be used on pitching and up the middle players.

Quote Originally Posted by The Q View Post
    Is Polanco a FA after this year?

This Tigers run has hurt them long term IMO, cause now they're likely stuck with Maggs bloated contract much longer than necessary.

Cutting him would save the team over 30 million in 2010 and 2011.

Money that needs to be used on pitching and up the middle players.
    They are definitely considering cutting Maggs, but if he is productive and we are in 1st, how do you justify cutting him to your fans? Also, would any FA sign with us if we treated Maggs that way? If he goes back to hitting .220, you can justify it, but even if he's hitting .275 with solid RBI numbers, you really can't do it.

Polanco is a FA after the year I believe. They have a 2B in the minors they think can replace him, but I'm guessing they sign Polanco for 1 more year or just get a Clint Barmes type to get them through the year until he's ready.

They are going to have to acquire another bat in the offseason, or sooner, but they still have Rodney,Zumaya,Perry and Verlander,Jackson,Porcello(and maybe Bondo and Galaragga) anchoring the pitching, plus a top 10 draft pick, which matters given that our last 2 1sts are big contributors already. Polanco and Sheff are off the books after the year, Robertson has 1 year left, so does Willis I believe. They can afford to sign a big FA so long as they backload the deal a bit. Not sure who's out there though.

I know, that's why I said their Central run is realy hurting them long term, you can't cut Maggs if he's being productive during this kind of run. They're better off if he keeps sucking.

And players should still flock there considering they paid Maggs about double what anyone else was reportedly offering.

They kind of had to and they were rewarded for it for a while. I'm not so sure he's about to drop of David Ortiz style anyways. he's always had better 2nd halves. I don't think he's worth the 15 mil(obviously), but I'm not sure we are better without him. Again, we are dropping some payroll this year and next and I don't think Maggs will hold us back from getting the players we need, especially if we make the playoffs and get that extra revenue from those games along with the extra attendance because our late season games are important. As long as we are a contender, we have an owner that will give us the money we need to compete. I think we will spend 20-25 mil this summer on FAs honestly, though we might not have to if someone like Larrish can be a regular DH, in platoon with Thames or something like that. Basically, if we can fill at least one or 2 positions with a young player, we should be ok. Also it is important that 1 or 2 of Willis,Robertson and particularly Bonderman contribute at least something. Its also huge that Inge is a 6 million dollar GG 3B who contributes offensively rather than a 6 million dollar utility player/starting C.

Anyways, I certainly see your point. I am worried about our lack of position player depth in the minors and the huge contracts we have given out that haven't worked out. We have put ourselves in a tough spot, no doubt about it, and every move is now of the utmost importance. they can't afford anymore screw ups. Dave Dombrowski is risking his job with every move, because he's done enough to be fired honestly. He's also shown that he can put together contenders though and moves like Joyce for Jackson, 2 meaningless minor leaguers for Gerald Laird,signing Adam Everett,drafting Perry and Porcello are helping him to make up for multiple big money mistakes.

Haven't posted anything in a few weeks, time to check in.

The boys got hit hard tonight in Pittsburgh, seems like AG has totally lost it and may need a trip to the bullpen or to Toledo to get it straightened out. Not sure if its a mental thing or what, because he has the stuff to be a solid 4th guy in the rotation.

Bondo is on the DL, most likely out til September, probably out til ST 2010. It was obvious he can't get by with a 87-90 FB and a flat slider.. just won't work in the big leagues. They had to find out what they had with him, even if it cost them a loss.

Good series against the CWS, taking 3 outta 5 at the Cell which has been a hard place for us to get a win in the last 4 years. JV was in the zone again, I'm really loving the way he's pitching this year. He's dialed in every start, and on the days he pitches he refuses to talk to anyone and just gets into this trance. I LOVE IT! 3 way race for the AL Cy Young between Halladay, Greinke and JV. Jackson had an off start on Thursday, hes bound to have one every once in awhile. His off start was 5 hits and 2 ER's... really not too shabby.

The offense has been atrocious lately... Miggy hasn't been hitting, but he will warm up soon I'm sure of that. Maggs shows no power, and Polly may FINALLY be warming up. Grandy is showing a lot of pop, may be time to move him down to the 5th spot permanently and use either Anderson or Raburn leading off. Speaking of Anderson, he may not have power or very good plate discpline at this point but his ++ speed and defense will be more beneficial than if he was smashing the ball.

Hopefully the boys can take it to the Pirates tomorrow, and then we have a big series with the Cubbies and Brewers looming. Maybe the D-Train will be rejuvenated in a NL park? One can only hope.

GO TIGERS!

I also forgot to add a little commentary on the draft:

Loved the Turner pick. The organizations outlook on the draft is excellent, stock up on power arms and either use them in the rotation or as a trade piece to pick up an established hitter when the time comes. Gotta love the fact that he throws 94-97 and has two nice secondary pitches as well.

I also liked the second rounder, and the kid from Texas that threw all those pitches.

Couple of nice positional players as well.. the cupboard is definitely not bare in Toledo, Erie, Lakeland or W.Michigan.

Willis won't make his next start. I think that experiment is over for a while. Maybe all of 09, maybe forever. Who knows when Bondo comes back.

I say put Robertson and Miner back in the rotation for now. Miner was actually pretty good as a starter IIRC and Robertson isn't a reliever. He' might not be a starter either, but we are getting nothing from 15 mil worth of SPs in Willis and Bondo, we might as well see if Robertson and his 9 mil can give us something. I think he's a better starter than a reliever because he doesn't have great top end stuff. He can be a solid,BOR workhorse when he's going well. I know he hasn't been going well in a while, but I say its worth a shot, we don't have a ton of options.

If he fails, go to Lambert or Brown from the minors and try to make a trade I guess. I wouldn't mind a Huff/Guthrie package from Baltimore.

Galaragga may eventually resort to the pitcher he was last year and the first 4 or 5 starts of this year, or maybe teams figured him out and he just isn't that good. Its hard to keep rolling him out there right now.

Verlander sucked today, to compound our problems and the offense generally sucks. We could be headed for that collapse people expected if we don't right the ship real soon.

Maybe we could swap Robertson or Willis for another team's bad contract. A change of scenery deal. Gary Matthews Jr. would be an upgrade in LF and LA has too many OFs. They're short on SPs and why not take the gamble if you're either team. I don't know the exact dollars though, so that could halt the deal.

I also loved the Turner pick.

Just an outside observer (who has some stock in the Tigers as I have Grandy and Miggy in separate pay leagues) here:

Don't you guys think it'd make sense to put Granderson at the 3 hole and Cabrera in the cleanup spot? Granderson has had ridiculous power this year, I think the 3 spot fits him well, especially with Cabrera hitting behind him.

Quote Originally Posted by seahawksfan837 View Post
    Just an outside observer (who has some stock in the Tigers as I have Grandy and Miggy in separate pay leagues) here:

Don't you guys think it'd make sense to put Granderson at the 3 hole and Cabrera in the cleanup spot? Granderson has had ridiculous power this year, I think the 3 spot fits him well, especially with Cabrera hitting behind him.
    Yes. Fans have been crying for Granderson to move to 5 or 3 in the lineup. We just don't have a leadoff replacement I guess. Polanco can do it, but then there is no 2 guy. I wouldn't mind Polanco first(he takes a lot of pitches and can hit for high average), Granderson 2nd,Cabrera 3rd. Then Granderson gets better pitches, because Miggy is looming and if he's on base, he makes Cabrera better by being a steal threat. They need to add a hitter either way though. Teams just avoid Cabrera and dare someone else to beat them. Granderson is heating up, but he can't carry the offense, especially from the leadoff spot.

I wonder if we could get Dunn for Larrish and Galaragga. We'd be taking a lot of salary though. Maybe we could get them to gamble on Willis.

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    Yes. Fans have been crying for Granderson to move to 5 or 3 in the lineup. We just don't have a leadoff replacement I guess. Polanco can do it, but then there is no 2 guy. I wouldn't mind Polanco first(he takes a lot of pitches and can hit for high average), Granderson 2nd,Cabrera 3rd. Then Granderson gets better pitches, because Miggy is looming and if he's on base, he makes Cabrera better by being a steal threat. They need to add a hitter either way though. Teams just avoid Cabrera and dare someone else to beat them. Granderson is heating up, but he can't carry the offense, especially from the leadoff spot.

I wonder if we could get Dunn for Larrish and Galaragga. We'd be taking a lot of salary though. Maybe we could get them to gamble on Willis.
    Yeah I really like your idea above with Granderson as the #2 guy with Cabrera behind him, but the first thing that popped into my mind was who they were going to bat behind Cabrera for protection. It would have to be Magglio huh?

Quote Originally Posted by seahawksfan837 View Post
    Yeah I really like your idea above with Granderson as the #2 guy with Cabrera behind him, but the first thing that popped into my mind was who they were going to bat behind Cabrera for protection. It would have to be Magglio huh?
    Yah, no matter where you hit Granderson and Cabrera, you have to answer that question. Of course, it doesn't matter who is behind him if Granderson is on base when he comes to bat. They'll have to pitch to him.

The bottom line in this whole discussion is Polanco and Maggs have to heat up for this team to be serious about making a postseason run. Grandy has been great, but he needs to stay in the leadoff spot for now. The only thing I could see is maybe bringing up Wilkin Ramirez from Toledo to bat leadoff, then Polly, Grandy, Miggy and Maggs. Ramirez has the speed to bat at the top of the order, and would get on base enough to stir the offense a bit.

Figaro got called up from Erie to start Saturday. I'll be at the ballpark sitting 8 rows behind home plate so I'll give a first hand account of how he was looking up close and personal. Big game tonight, gotta take one from the Cards to avoid a sweep.

Nice, I didn't realize Figaro was a SP option. I hope he works out well. We can always try Brown or Lambert if we have to though.

Figaro looked good... made a mistake on the change to Braun but other than that looked like a big league pitcher.. and he actually threw strikes!

Great 3 game sweep of the Brew Crew.. who are one of the better teams in the NL. Lets take 2 outta 3 atleast from the Cubbies before heading to Houston.

The boys are looking better as of late, but we need more consistent hiting from Polly and Maggs to have a shot at making a run for the pennant.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast