Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

next years line up?

figured sooner our later someone would start a thread projecting our line ups for next year. Since we dont look to be getting draft choices high enough to become "starters"....plug our free agents pick ups into the mix and what do you see?????

Offense

QB - Derek Anderson
    RB - Jamal Lewis
    FB - Lawrence Vickers
    WR1 - Braylon Edwards
    WR2 - Donte' Stallworth
    TE - Kellen Winslow Jr.
    LT - Joe Thomas
    LG - Eric Steinbach
    C - Hank Fraley
    RG - Isaac Sowells
    RT - Kevin Shaffer

Defense

LE - Corey Williams
    NT - Shaun Rogers
    RE - Robaire Smith
    LB - Willie McGinest
    LB - Andra Davis
    LB - D'Qwell Jackson
    LB - Kamerion Wimbley
    CB - Eric Wright
    FS - Brodney Pool
    SS - Sean Jones
    CB - Brandon McDonald

Special Teams

K - Phil Dawson
    P - Dave Zastudil
    KR/PR - Josh Cribbs

I'm not sure about Sowells...we still have Tucker and McKinney so I'm not worried.

Peek may start instead of McGinest as well.

And I'm still holding out hope that we trade Anderson.
    Last edited by rjohmit; 03-08-2008 at 10:32 PM.

I think they should trade a conditional pick for Lito Sheppard as it seems Philly isn't going to be landing a top flight wideout any time soon. They could also sign Rosevelt Colvin and Atogwe and be set. If they can trade Anderson, even better. I think Quinn is ready to take over the team, now.

Not bad mike, but look for RG to be held down by Bentley if he is able, if not, Tucker and they will sign someone else for depth. McKinney is gone I am pretty sure.

Also, I would still bet on Anderson moving on which will effect a lot of things. Obviously that would put Quinn at the help at QB, but it would also most likely give us another starter at another position.

I think Peek will start over McGinest.

Anyway, back to topic, with the players we have at this time, I think you missed at RG and strong side OLB. Nice job though.
    Last edited by sleeper43; 03-09-2008 at 12:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleeper43 View Post
    Not bad mike, but look for RG to be held down by Bentley if he is able, if not, Tucker and they will sign someone else for depth. McKinney is gone I am pretty sure.

Also, I would still bet on Anderson moving on which will effect a lot of things. Obviously that would put Quinn at the help at QB, but it would also most likely give us another starter at another position.

I think Peek will start over McGinest.

Anyway, back to topic, with the players we have at this time, I think you missed at RB and strong side OLB. Nice job though.
    I think we still have McKinney...maybe you're thinking of Friedman? Either way, I'm not counting on Bentley.

How'd he miss at RB? Lewis is our guy.

Both McKinney and Friedman are UFAs. They haven't signed anywhere yet though so they could be back. Also, McKinney is probably still recovering from his knee injury.

Quote Originally Posted by rjohmit View Post
    I think we still have McKinney...maybe you're thinking of Friedman? Either way, I'm not counting on Bentley.

How'd he miss at RB? Lewis is our guy.
    That was supposed to say RG, simple typo, Lewis is our RB. Also, I have ready multiple reports saying Bentley could have gone last year but the team chose to set him out for another year of recovery since there wasn't a dire need for him in 2007.

In fact, in a recent interview with Shaun Smith he stated that Bentley was good to go last year and he thinks he should have played. Pretty controversial interview, he said the Browns did Bentley dirty.

If Bentley comes back even at 85% of what he was pre injury, and we can plug him in at RG, then we will have hands down the best OLine of any team in the league, possibley the best line in league history. Anderson or Quinn, no matter who it is, should have all the time they could ask for, and Lewis should have nice running lanes.
    Last edited by sleeper43; 03-09-2008 at 12:30 AM.

I thought it was probably a typo...I dont know about Bentley. I'm counting him out until I see him on the field. I dont blame the Browns for holding him out. Apart from the seriousness of his injury, putting him back in the lineup may have screwed up the chemistry/continuity...
    Last edited by rjohmit; 03-09-2008 at 01:50 AM.

pretty much as I was expecting also.
    Peak maybe working in for McGinest as Willie just isn't a young buck anymore.
    Also nobody has mentioned Bently back to center?

Lineup looks solid, if a little young in the secondary.

Anyone left in fa that might help us a little bit?

Well, Friedman has signed a 1-year deal. LINK

And with the signing of Hadnot, McKinney will not be back.

I will take a stab at this....

Current as of my 03/29/2008 Cleveland Browns hopes and dreams:

*** Listed is our 3/4 Def formation depth chart, we will also see a lot of 4/3 formations.

Updated 03/22/2008

QB
    1 Brady Quinn
    2 Gus Frerotte
    3 Ken Dorsey

FB
    4 Lawrence Vickers
    5 Charles Ali

RB
    6 Jamal Lewis
    7 Kevin Smith
    8 Jerome Harrison

WR
    9 Braylon Edwards
    10 Dante Stallworth
    11 Joe Jurevicius
    12 Josh Cribbs
    13 Travis Wilson

TE
    14 Kellen Winslow
    15 Steve Heiden

LT
    16 Joe Thomas
    17 Ryan Tucker

LG
    18 Eric Steinbach

C
    19 Hank Fraley
    20 Seth McKinney
    21 Lecharles Bentley

RG
    Lecharles Bentley
    Seth McKinney
    22 Rex Hadnon

RT
    23 Kevin Shaffer
    Ryan Tucker

NT
    24 Shaun Rogers
    25 Shaun Smith
    26 Ethan Kelly

LDE
    27 Corey Williams
    Shaun Smith
    28 Chase Pittman

RDE
    29 Derrick Harvey
    30 Robaire Smith
    Shaun Smith
    Chase Pittman

LOLB
    31 Antwan Peek
    32 Tommy Blake
    33 Willie McGinest
    34 Shantee Orr

ILB
    35 D'Quell Jackson
    36 Curis Loftin
    37 Leon Williams
    38 Andra Davis
    39 Kris Griffen
    Shantee Orr

ROL
    40 Kamerion Wimbley
    Willie McGinest
    Tommy Blake

CB
    41 Eric Wright
    42 Terrence Wheatley
    43 Brandon McDonald
    44 Davon Holly
    45 Antwaun Molden
    46 Mike Adams

SS
    47 Sean Jones
    48 Nick Sorensen

FS
    49 Brodney Pool
    50 Gary Baxter
    Mike Adams

KR
    Josh Cribbs
    Jerome Harrison

K
    51 Phil Dawson

Holder
    52 Dave Zastudil

PR
    Josh Cribbs
    Brandon McDonald

LS
    53 Ryan Pontbriand
    Steve Heiden

***NOTES***
    *With reports of Quenton Groves visiting Cleveland, and his projected draft position, it has become apparent that something is in the works and Savage does indeed have round 1 aspirations in 2008. I think this is a very important clue as to Derek Andersons future. In the end, I don't think we draft Groves, but I still think his visit is a huge clue.
    * Chris Long, is no longer in our future from the the DA trade as he goes top 2 and won't be there when we are at #3 overall (we got a round 3 too from Atl. in trade for DA). We will then decide the pick is of greater value in trade than to reach for someone we don't need and pay the huge salary #3 gets. Dallas is more than happy to give #22 overall (our original pick) back, along with thier 2nd round pick to move up for McFadden.
    * With our newly aquired picks we draft Derrick Harvey at #22, Terrence Wheatley with the 2nd from Dallas, and Curis Loftin with the 3rd we got from Atlanta. This is a further infusion of youth on the D, and fills 3 more spots for us. We now have our RDE of the present and future for many years to come in Harvey. It also pushs R. Smith to a reserve role where he is better suited to play. Curtis is an instant starter at ILB for us and gives us that Ray Lewis like presence in the middle we have been searching for. Wheatley starts opposite of Wright as a rookie, he makes his rookie mistakes but still has a very good year and he and Wright grow together to become one of the best CB tandums in the leauge for years to come. McDonald and Holly excell at nickle and dime back respectively and our secondary turns out to be a strength. We also add Tommy Blake in the 5th as a project, there is a bit more sense of urgency with this pick now that we missed out on Edwards. Blake has tons of potential and was at one time considered a round 1 talent. He had some medical off field issues that has hurt him, but shows signs of rebounding from them. We will really need McGinest to help mentor and keep this kids head on straight. He could be part of a dynamite rotation at OLB with Wimbley, Peek, and himself.
    * LeCharles Bentley, come back player of the year. Honorable goes to Gary Baxter here.
    * Our secondary is a bit scary at 1st because of youth, but Wheatley quickly answers all questions about him and Savage has proven he can pick winners at CB with mid round picks (Molden, round 6). We will have good depth and starters.
    * Gus Frerotte brings a proven veteran presense to the backup QB role and will help keep Quinn grounded.
    * We really missed out on Kalimba Edwards as he is now with the Raiders, this is bad for us and bad for him as a player, but we move on. Missing Edwards really makes an important role for Willie McGinest. It is now his job to whip Tommy Blake into shape. Peek is very servicable at OLB opposite Wimbley but not the difference maker we need. Blake has potential to be that but he needs to develop and develop quickly. The savy old vet McGinest will take him under his wing and hopefully have him ready to play this year in case Peek goes down for some reason.
    * Well, it looks like we missed out on signing Chris Carr too. That makes 2 FA players that I think we could have had relatively cheap that would have been 5 star pickups for the Browns in Carr and Kalimba Edwards. Edwards should have been our starting OLB opposite Wimbley and Carr should have been our insurance policy in case of a Cribbs injury and good CB depth and experience. I hope we don't regret missing out on these 2 guys.
    * While RB is not a huge need, Kevin Smith is still there in round 4 and is just such value that Savage can not say no. We move up in round 4 by trading our round 4 and 7. We let him and Harrison be our Thunder and Lightning for many many years to come after Jamal Lewis transitions to goal line back in a year or 2.
    * Because we are still a little bit thin at WR, Travis Wilson gets his final chance at the bottom of the depth chart to sink or swim, lets see if this turd floats.
    * Look for Savage to keep a close eye on the June 1 cuts of other teams. I have a hard time believing that Savage won't have an eye open for a good pick up at CB with experience, but as of now, since I don't know who that might be, my projected depth chart doesn't include 1.
    *With the resigning of Seth McKinney I also look for Lenny Friedman to be dealt on draft day at some point for draft pick consideration. Phil likely will have to move up at some point to get one of the guys he wants, and I don't think we will carry 9 OLinemen on the roster and Friedman to me seems like the logical trade bait as he has the versatility to play all 3 interior line spots and should bring a better price than Hadnon, McKinney, or even LeCharles Bentley (due to his injury).
    * Notice how many guys hold down multiple spots on the depth chart. That is a deep and versatile team. Where is the achilles heel? The weakness is even less aparent now than it was with my 1st projected lineup.:cool:
    Last edited by sleeper43; 03-29-2008 at 05:21 AM.

I'll pass on Kalimba Edwards, Troy Brown, and Kevin Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by rjohmit View Post
    I'll pass on Kalimba Edwards, Troy Brown, and Kevin Jones.
    I can't see Kevin Jones or Troy Brown being in the mix but I could see a move to get Kalimba Edwards. Savage went after him pretty hard two years ago. A big factor will be how healthy he is.

I see no point in Troy Brown. Unless he'll play for the minimum, he is useless at this point in his career.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast