How To Flatten A Yard...?

Well, we're trying to figure something out we've not had much experience with: flattening a yard. My daughter recently purchased a home near us and she has a little over an acre. We're at sea level here, so water pretty much drains right down through the lawn in the low lying areas. Her lawn drains okay, but it's 'bumpy' or 'lumpy' or 'craggy', whatever you call it. Walking on it is an adventure. You can't see the lumps because it's nice and grassy, but the mower has a heckuva time with it, and her littlest stumbles on it. You simply cannot run on it unless you want serious problems.

It's quite spongy after a good rain, so we're thinking we could deploy something heavy, like a water-filled roller drum behind the lawn tractor (do they make such things)?

Do we have to hire a 'steam-roller' to come in and 'flatten' it?

Will we have to start from scratch and have it 'graded' out with some kind of heavy equipment? Then re-seed the whole thing? (we'd prefer to avoid that)

I've seen we have some lawn gurus and yard warriors here on the docks. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Rear Admiral; 07-14-2006 at 03:40 AM.
    Gang Way!

I'd love to see the responses. Mine needed ....NEEDS grading...which means ADDING MUCHO soil.

We added some....... not enough....and though our grass is better.....playing around with it.........

without adding MUCHO MORE soil......it will never be right.

(it's a $$$ issue with me - for obvious reasons..like...no job...).
    I promise I won't do it again

Lawn? You should just be rolling with some crushed coral down there :p

Honestly, I think starting from scratch is your best bet. If you try to fill the low spots with extra dirt, the grass will grow up through it, but the soil will settle in unpredictable ways. It will be expensive to resod it, though.

Attack Israel.they will flatten it. :D
    I promise I won't do it again

The easiest way is to get a rototiller and use that on any high areas and fill in the lower areas with the dirt you till up. A large landscape rake will help level. Its probably a solid days worth of work because you're going to be be farting around with leveling it and re-tilling and re-leveling it. But the good news is that it isn't really back breaking work*.

*unless you find a buried wire that wan't buried very deep, or find a boulder just beneath the grass level.
    Odd Facts:

The human brain is incapable of producing a face. Any face you see when you dream is one that you have physically viewed at some point in your life.

The Australian aborigine language has over 30 words for “dust.”

Nearly three percent of the ice in Antarctic glaciers is penguin urine.

When you see little white or clear dots floating in your vision, they are actually your own white blood cells.

Quote Originally Posted by Augustus
    I think you have revealed the secret! We will go with this option:

* Sing the old song "Rollin' rollin' rollin', keep them doggies rollin'" while you work.

I'm going to rig a WATER BARRELL. I have the welding equipment and I know how to use it. Rollin', Rollin', Rollin'...!
    Gang Way!

You can hire a service that will come with a roller, or if you have a small tractor you can borrow one. Wait until it's rained and the grass is a bit soggy, then roll. The heavier the roller the better the results, thus why you hire someone.

If it gets really bad you need to get topsoil and fill in the lumps. I'd try that in the worst places before tilling it all up and starting over. Basically you use a turf rake and just pull loose dirt across the top of the grass and it'll work itself into the low spots. "Go with the flow" of the gullies so the rake stands on the high spots. This method won't kill your grass if you don't put too much topsoil on.
    The cake is a lie. I'm pretty sure the numbers in the pie chart are made up too.