Page 1295 of 1550 FirstFirst ... 29579511951245128512931294129512961297130513451395 ... LastLast
Results 19,411 to 19,425 of 23242
    Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    They'll have that starting in 2014, and if they set it up right they can get some kind of up-front payment. Maybe not $385MM like McCourt wanted, but enough to make an aggressive bid for someone like Hamels.
    I agree.

Look, I'm ok if the Sox don't get a major player in FA if they get back to their 2003 Theo roots of finding underrated guys.

Get the payroll down, let some bad, or even just big contracts expire (Papi, Youk, DiceK, Jenks, Ross is a ton of money in it's own right) and try to get more efficient.

Maybe trade some prospects get a few cheaper guys with some cost control left and lock them up long term (since they're younger and cheaper than guys you'd sign in the FA market.

I've always been a "stars and scrubs" guy. Not overpaying for the middle guys in FA. either you sign the studs or you go bargain shopping.
    Mac9, to the true warrior. the ultimate competitor and the most worth adversary any athlete has ever faced off against. He was an inspiration for both his on the field play, off the field contributions and his leadership. The world is now a worse place without him.

"Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity" - Justice Antonin Scalia

"Just because you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it doesn't mean you're wrong."
    - Ghandi

The Stars and Scrubs model has worked really well for St. Louis for years. I'd be all for that. Pay the homegrown talent, and make targeted trades or acquisitions for guys outside the system, but never committing for more than 3 years unless they're an All Star talent. Just doing that would've saved the Sox the headache of a lot of bad contracts like Lugo, Lackey, etc.
    "I don't Twitter, I don't MyFace, I don't do any of those things, so I'd probably be the last to know."

- Bill Belichick on the social media exploits of Chad Ochocinco

The Stars and Scrubs model has worked really well for St. Louis for years. I'd be all for that. Pay the homegrown talent, and make targeted trades or acquisitions for guys outside the system, but never committing for more than 3 years unless they're an All Star talent. Just doing that would've saved the Sox the headache of a lot of bad contracts like Lugo, Lackey, etc.
    Exactly.

St. Louis and Atlanta during their run have been really good at it.
    Mac9, to the true warrior. the ultimate competitor and the most worth adversary any athlete has ever faced off against. He was an inspiration for both his on the field play, off the field contributions and his leadership. The world is now a worse place without him.

"Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity" - Justice Antonin Scalia

"Just because you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it doesn't mean you're wrong."
    - Ghandi

I still can't believe the deal they got Carlos Beltran on. Steal.

BTW, pray Jacoby didn't tear something. Dislocation = 6 weeks. Labrum tear = 1+ year.
    "I don't Twitter, I don't MyFace, I don't do any of those things, so I'd probably be the last to know."

Ellsbury likely out 6-8 weeks. great just great.

Well if all it turns out to be is 6-8 weeks, then they're lucky. If he did tear his labrum, he'd be out 6-8 months, not weeks.

Well if all it turns out to be is 6-8 weeks, then they're lucky. If he did tear his labrum, he'd be out 6-8 months, not weeks.
    You can be damn sure Boras will tell Ells not to return until he fells he is 100%. Can't risk the cash cow.
    Occupying the handicap bathroom stall

Quote Originally Posted by Marley View Post
    You can be damn sure Boras will tell Ells not to return until he fells he is 100%. Can't risk the cash cow.
    Honestly, can't blame him if he is trying to play it safe- the Sox medical staff is not exactly going to be confused with the Mayo Clinic.

And the Linsanity begins!

Jacoby to 15 day DL, his spot taken by Che-Hsuan Lin, who most likely warms the bench until Melo goes down.

Honestly, can't blame him if he is trying to play it safe- the Sox medical staff is not exactly going to be confused with the Mayo Clinic.
    I don't blame him at all, just protecting future earnings, which is smart.

After 2010, he can't afford to ***** out of another season.

- Ghandi

Doubrant throws a hell of a game and the god awful defensive OF we've put out there has cost him all 3 runs.

Today is a great example why errors are a horrible way to judge defenders.

- Ghandi

Nine hits in five innings? He blows a 4-0 lead? No this was not a great game by Doubrant. How about Valantine getting Atchinson out of the game quickly. Red Sox are looking a lot better. I guess Schilling is looking like an blow hard.
    Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future. John Kennedy.

Quote Originally Posted by ravingallan View Post
    Nine hits in five innings? He blows a 4-0 lead? No this was not a great game by Doubrant. How about Valantine getting Atchinson out of the game quickly. Red Sox are looking a lot better. I guess Schilling is looking like an blow hard.
    The injuries to the OF cost him. Ellsbury catches the first ball, and the second was a routine fly ball that Ross blew.

- Ghandi

Quote Originally Posted by ravingallan View Post
    Doubront pitched quite a decent game actually. As Q pointed out, his OFs let him down and cost him three runs. The only really hard hit ball was when Luke f'ing Scott took him deep. He still throws too many pitches per inning, but as a 4th or 5th starter, he's an astronomically better option than Wakefield and Lackey last year. That said, I don't think the defense is going to get much better until Crawford and Ells get healthy, and the left side of the infield will be a little spotty all year (assuming Iglesias or WMB don't get call-ups).

Looks like reports of Youkilis' demise were a bit exaggerated. 4-10, 3 BB, and only 2 K since returning home.

Page 1295 of 1550 FirstFirst ... 29579511951245128512931294129512961297130513451395 ... LastLast