Page 1291 of 1611 FirstFirst ... 29179111911241128112891290129112921293130113411391 ... LastLast
Results 19,351 to 19,365 of 24155
    I blame Francona.
    "I will punch you." - Wounded Bear

Trading Scutaro should've at least let them bring back Bedard.

Hell half a season of Bard and Bedard in the 4 spot and this team would be sweet as candy.
    Mac9, to the true warrior. the ultimate competitor and the most worth adversary any athlete has ever faced off against. He was an inspiration for both his on the field play, off the field contributions and his leadership. The world is now a worse place without him.

"Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity" - Justice Antonin Scalia

"Just because you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it doesn't mean you're wrong."
    - Ghandi

The odds of Bedard pitching more than 5 starts again in a big market were about 50:1.
    "I don't Twitter, I don't MyFace, I don't do any of those things, so I'd probably be the last to know."

- Bill Belichick on the social media exploits of Chad Ochocinco

ha! didn't take long for Dan Shaughnessy to take his usual shots today at the red Sox. He knows what his audience expects. I didn't expect them to beat Verlander. Beckett v Fister saturday.
    on a lighter note, it was about 39 degrees at the Reno Aces opener last night vs. the Colorado Springs Sky Sox. Glad I didn't go. but will go saturday!

3 Tiger HR's given up by big Josh!

The Orioles magic number is 160.
    Cherish your children for who they are, not who you'd like them to be.

am starting to think the Red Sox organization lost it's focus a few years ago. They seem stale as 3 week old bread. Where's the new talent like kalish coming in? That dudes always injured. Seeing Masterson and Beltre kick ass for other teams makes me a little queasy.

Mark Melancon = tomato can. Wow! That's some serious suck-age.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester View Post
    am starting to think the Red Sox organization lost it's focus a few years ago. They seem stale as 3 week old bread. Where's the new talent like kalish coming in? That dudes always injured. Seeing Masterson and Beltre kick ass for other teams makes me a little queasy.
    I don't think you can blame them for Beltre. If they keep Beltre you don't have Gonzalez.
    "Personal foul, 69, offense. He was giving him the business."

And Masterson was the cost of having VMart for a year and a half. I can live with that one, too, even though I was in the minority of people who saw him as more than a righty setup guy. There has been a definite dry spell in the player development pipeline the last couple years, though...he's right about that. And it doesn't help when you take the few guys your system has produced and either trade them for JAG's, or hold them on the farm in favor of other JAG's you signed.
    Last edited by Underdog; 04-09-2012 at 01:23 PM.
    "I will punch you." - Wounded Bear

Quote Originally Posted by MKHawk View Post
    I don't think you can blame them for Beltre. If they keep Beltre you don't have Gonzalez.
    Or they could have got rid of Youkilis and had Beltre at 3rd and Gonzales at 1st...
    Ignorance is those who disparage believers....12 They will come and shout for joy on the heights of Zion; they will rejoice in the bounty of the LORD—the grain, the new wine and the olive oil, the young of the flocks and herds. They will be like a well-watered garden, and they will sorrow no more.
    13 Then young women will dance and be glad, young men and old as well. I will turn their mourning into gladness; I will give them comfort and joy instead of sorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSeyMonsta View Post
    Or they could have got rid of Youkilis and had Beltre at 3rd and Gonzales at 1st...
    No, they could not have......they would not have been able to afford it. They're already at/above the luxury tax. Adding Beltre would've put them WAY over. The ownership has stated they can't sustainably pay over the luxury tax, especially with the new punitive structure for teams that repeatedly go over the threshold.

The problem with the Sox has not been player development - they had more WAR than any other team in baseball but the Rays I believe last year from players that they drafted themselves. The problem has been a complete inability to assess the free agent market, and only a slightly better track record via trade. When Marco Scutaro is your best FA signing over $3MM/year in the last 5+ years, and you then ship him out for literally nothing, you know something is going wrong with trade/FA evaluation.
    "I don't Twitter, I don't MyFace, I don't do any of those things, so I'd probably be the last to know."

Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    No, they could not have......they would not have been able to afford it. They're already at/above the luxury tax. Adding Beltre would've put them WAY over. The ownership has stated they can't sustainably pay over the luxury tax, especially with the new punitive structure for teams that repeatedly go over the threshold.
    Well, they could have done something intelligent and pass on Lackey and sign Beltre long term, so yes, THEY COULD HAVE, they chose not to.
    Ignorance is those who disparage believers....12 They will come and shout for joy on the heights of Zion; they will rejoice in the bounty of the LORD—the grain, the new wine and the olive oil, the young of the flocks and herds. They will be like a well-watered garden, and they will sorrow no more.
    13 Then young women will dance and be glad, young men and old as well. I will turn their mourning into gladness; I will give them comfort and joy instead of sorrow.

Beltre was never designed to be a long term plan. He was projected to be a short term gap filler FA who maximized his efficiencies in fenway and also improved the infield defense.

Moving to texas has also helped his offense. But giving a guy like that a 5 year deal, when his only 2 monster years were contract years (2004 w/ LAD and 2010 w/ BOS) was highly risky.

I never wanted Lackey and pointed out his declining numbers when the Sox signed him, but that's neither here nor there.
    Mac9, to the true warrior. the ultimate competitor and the most worth adversary any athlete has ever faced off against. He was an inspiration for both his on the field play, off the field contributions and his leadership. The world is now a worse place without him.

"Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity" - Justice Antonin Scalia

"Just because you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it doesn't mean you're wrong."
    - Ghandi

Yeah it was not a Lackey vs. Beltre choice at any point. Lackey was a horrid acquisition but the team will survive it.

Page 1291 of 1611 FirstFirst ... 29179111911241128112891290129112921293130113411391 ... LastLast