against the law to wear a mask in public??

WHAT?????

article

Officers saw Gray about 8:45 a.m. Tuesday, told him to take the mask off and not put it on again. Gray removed it and asked why he could not wear it, according to Wheeling police reports. Officers told him wearing masks in public is illegal.

Gray said he felt he had a right to wear it and said it was not illegal. He put the mask back on and was arrested. The mask was confiscated.

Wheeling City Solicitor Rosemary Humway-Warmuth and Ohio County Prosecutor Scott Smith said masks as well as dark window tinting in vehicles can pose a safety hazard to law enforcement officers and hinder efforts to identify criminal suspects.

Smith said wearing a mask or hood in public is a misdemeanor under state law, punishable by a fine of up to $500 or up to a year in jail, or both. Children up to 16 years old can wear masks. Traditional Halloween masks, safety gear used in occupations, theatrical productions, civil defense or protection from bad weather also are legal.

What if it's a gorilla mask?

Only in a rest stop.

i can see them asking you to remove it to see you.. or to ask for an ID... but illegal after 16 to wear one???? And people think this is a FREE society. Get'n less all the time.

Most of the serious cases regarding this issue involve a particular group, which generally can't be discussed here. Let's just say that members of the group like to wear masks when they assemble in public, to protect their identities for personal safety reasons.

Based on the little reading I did, the only real Constitutional issue is whether laws such as this violate the First Ammendment. However, courts have consistently ruled that the First Ammendment does not grant someone the right to conceal their identity while they speak.

as opposed to having your picture taken a dozen times, digitized for facial recognition comparisons with street cameras - like they use in Tampa Bay or on the Virginia Beach ocean front?? Being put in constant lineups is ok, as long as it's convenient eh?

Personally, i think someone should setup a mask store and everyone on the board walk should wear a mask and render those camera useless. Call it daily celebration of mardi gras if you want.

Again, i can see having to have ID, and complying with law enforcement if they ask you to remove it. But if your not who they are look'n for - what difference is it if you are wearing a mask or sunglasses?

Maybe we need to have a national registration for people wearing clown outfits to kids BD parties as well so they can carry special liscenses.

I'm sorry the law enforcements job is hard at times.. and they don't have the convenience of having microchips inserted into every baby that is born for 24/7 lifetime movement monitoring and recording. I think this is a rediculous law, and the cops are pricks who arrested the man - ESPECIALLY after seeing he wasn't wanted for anything. It was their typical power struggle - do what i say, or i'll arrest you.

Quote Originally Posted by DonMan
    Most of the serious cases regarding this issue involve a particular group, which generally can't be discussed here. Let's just say that members of the group like to wear masks when they assemble in public, to protect their identities for personal safety reasons.

Based on the little reading I did, the only real Constitutional issue is whether laws such as this violate the First Ammendment. However, courts have consistently ruled that the First Ammendment does not grant someone the right to conceal their identity while they speak.

I've heard the same but cannot give details.I do not think this is a 'new' issue.

Masks as you say 'per banned topics'...... wearing masks going into a bank , etc.....is not a 'legal right' per se.
    I promise I won't do it again

Quote Originally Posted by FFL_Recruiter
    as opposed to having your picture taken a dozen times, digitized for facial recognition comparisons with street cameras - like they use in Tampa Bay or on the Virginia Beach ocean front?? Being put in constant lineups is ok, as long as it's convenient eh?

Personally, i think someone should setup a mask store and everyone on the board walk should wear a mask and render those camera useless. Call it daily celebration of mardi gras if you want.

Again, i can see having to have ID, and complying with law enforcement if they ask you to remove it. But if your not who they are look'n for - what difference is it if you are wearing a mask or sunglasses?

Maybe we need to have a national registration for people wearing clown outfits to kids BD parties as well so they can carry special liscenses.

I'm sorry the law enforcements job is hard at times.. and they don't have the convenience of having microchips inserted into every baby that is born for 24/7 lifetime movement monitoring and recording. I think this is a rediculous law, and the cops are pricks who arrested the man - ESPECIALLY after seeing he wasn't wanted for anything. It was their typical power struggle - do what i say, or i'll arrest you.
    "Again, i can see having to have ID, and complying with law enforcement if they ask you to remove it. But if your not who they are look'n for - what difference is it if you are wearing a mask or sunglasses?"

i'm confused as to the 'LOOKING FOR" part. Are you ok if everyone going through say.... airport security ...or .....going into your child's school....was "allowed" to be masked? Forget the LOOKING FOR part.....

....... heck, I wear make-up every New Year's Day Mummers Parade.....
    ...does that mean in every situation, concealment is appropriate...even though no one is LOOKING FOR you?

I think not..... I have now great line to draw....but I can see where this can be an issue.

in the article above.. the guy was walking down the sidewalk. not in a bank.. airport security.. in a school... other controlled environment or otherwise. I dont think it's apples to apples. Nor do i think it's something that would catchon and the public at large would be doing so to warrant such a law.

kansascomet Guest
    I wore a Darth Vader mask recently and was made to take it off or face arrest (This happened last saturday). I was just walking around town with my friends trying to pick up girls..you know, normal stuff. But I just took it off, flipped the cop off after he turned the corner, and went about my merriment. :)

Anyway, I KNOW my rights. Will I, as an 18 year old kid, press them in this circumstance. Hell no!! I refuse to allow myself to become some kind of story for this cop to tell his buddies at the donut stop about how he showed some punk kid up.

Wearing a birthday suit always got me in trouble,