Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can anyone help me find a good long distance phone plan?

My current plan (with Talk America) is getting too expensive for the little talking we do.

Can anyone suggest a better company that offers a good deal?

I am looking for:
    unlimited local calling
    we do most of our long distance calls in state, but where they are considered long distance
    call waiting
    caller id

Currently, I pay 26.95 a month for 200 minutes anywhere that is long distance (both in and out of state). its 5 cents a minute after that but we hardly go over 200 minutes. Additionally, we get caller id and call waiting and unlimited free local calls.
    After charges and taxes etc, I am up to $51 a month and looking to reduce that.
    oh, and I dont have any high speed internet connection etc so any Voice over the net suggestion is unfortunately not possible.
    Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by elwayvedder; 05-04-2005 at 01:16 PM.

and while you're at it, can someone find me a good chinese restaurant around here.
    I don't got time for pain. The only pain I got time for is the pain I put on fools who don't know what time it is. -Terry Tate

Man, I haven't found a place that sells good cheesesteaks in forever. :(

come on guys, help a poor brotha out who is just trying to make it in this world.

as for chinese food and cheesesteaks, philly is good for both!

Vonage, if you have broadband internet connection, Vonage is the way to go, 25.00 for everything, long distance, local, call waiting, caller ID, voicemail, and even a really cool feautre where your voicemails can be emailed to you.

Ok just read that you dont have broadband...too bad, you really should...

With Vonage, you would be paying 60 for high speed interent AND phone service, and when you look at it like that...seems like a good damn deal huh?
    Let me see if I get this right. We need to borrow $10 billion from China, and then we give it to Musharraf, who is a military dictator, who overthrew an elected government. And then we go to war, we lose all these lives promoting democracy in Iraq. I mean, what’s going on here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mffpkCH-PJw&

thanx. i will check vonage out although i have a friend who discouraged me looking into them

Quote Originally Posted by McGraw_WV
    With Vonage, you would be paying 60 for high speed interent AND phone service, and when you look at it like that...seems like a good damn deal huh?
    McG, I just called Vonage and they only offer the phone svc, but not the high speed connection.

So who do i get that from? Verizon offers it for $30 a month but only if I have Verizon phone svc. its like 42 or something without the svc from verizon

IE, how do you get away with only $60 a month for both?
    Last edited by elwayvedder; 05-04-2005 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by elwayvedder
    IE, how do you get away with only $60 a month for both?
    I'd like to know that one too, I pay almost that much just for internet. *****ing Comcast.
    I don't got time for pain. The only pain I got time for is the pain I put on fools who don't know what time it is. -Terry Tate

Quote Originally Posted by jjdche
    I'd like to know that one too, I pay almost that much just for internet. *****ing Comcast.
    exactly. i am avoiding that monopoly at all costs! I have DTV so Comcast would charge me 60 a month since I dont have them for cable
    Last edited by elwayvedder; 05-04-2005 at 02:08 PM.

Have you contemplated getting a cell phone? That could knock out a few problems right there and you can probably get around 500 minutes for around $40 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Donkeypuncher
    Have you contemplated getting a cell phone? That could knock out a few problems right there and you can probably get around 500 minutes for around $40 or so.
    Hey Man, hope you liked the CD i sent ya..

to answer your question- we have cell phones. the problem is my wife cant get out of the habit of using the house phone. Additionally, our reception to our cell phones in our house is shatty. Last, we need a phone line so I can keep the DTV hooked up to get my NFL ticket etc.

What I was thinking was maybe suck it up and increase her cell phone and just get a flat rate svc for like $9 a month just to have the DTV plugged in and available for 911 calls etc (we have 2 small children)

What I was thinking was maybe suck it up and increase her cell phone and just get a flat rate svc for like $9 a month just to have the DTV plugged in and available for 911 calls etc (we have 2 small children)
    That's exactly what I did when we had DirecTV. I believe it was less than $10/month. You couldn't make outgoing calls, but all incoming calls were free so people could call you at home.

Vonage sounds awesome. One question - the $25 a month - does that include the line and the unlimited minutes or just the minutes ? The way it reads, I would pay $25 for the line and unlimited minutes, that's nuts (in a good way). I already have a cable modem so that cost is fixed.
    "Don't Give Me Defensive Players Who Can't Tackle . . . What Am I Going to Do With Them ?" - Bill Belichick

here's what I did just now:
    1) make my wife use her cell phone more as she gets 380 minutes and unlimited nights/weekends
    2) switched from my $26.95 (200 minutes anywhere included) plan to a $12.95 plan that has 1000 local minutes, .01 a minute after 1000, caller id and call waiting. long distance anywhere is 7 cents a minute.

Based on our calling patterns and if I can get her to use her cell more, we can save about $15 a month which is my goal.

Thanks

here's what I did just now:
    1) make my wife use her cell phone more as she gets 380 minutes and unlimited nights/weekends
    2) switched from my $26.95 (200 minutes anywhere included) plan to a $12.95 plan that has 1000 local minutes, .01 a minute after 1000, caller id and call waiting. long distance anywhere is 7 cents a minute.

Based on our calling patterns and if I can get her to use her cell more, we can save about $15 a month which is my goal.

Thanks

See, if I hadn't posted that inane comment about chinese restaurants this thread would have just been swept to page 2 and forgotten about forever. You owe me!
    ;)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast