Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Has there ever been a minor executed in the US?

In another thread, I have repeatedly seen statements to the effect of: Only the US and Somalia execute minors.

To that statement, I asked this question:

Can anyone confirm that any minor has ever been executed in America? I don't think they have been.

The question may have been lost in all the good/bad of capital punishment, so I thought I'd give it it's own thread.

Yes, hundreds apparently, and 22 since 1976.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2004Jul19.html

On second thought, most of them were probably well over 18 when they were actually killed. Not sure if that makes any kind of difference.

Quote Originally Posted by MDPatFan
    In another thread, I have repeatedly seen statements to the effect of: Only the US and Somalia execute minors.

Can anyone confirm that any minor has ever been executed in America? I don't think they have been.

The question may have been lost in all the good/bad of capital punishment, so I thought I'd give it it's own thread.
    So if a 5 year old kills someone and we wait until he's 18 before we execute him that makes it ok?

Quote Originally Posted by MDPatFan

i'll respond with a question of my own:

from a conceptual standpoint, why does it matter how old the person is at the time that the death sentence is carried out?

From every justification i've ever heard for having or not having the death penalty, the important age is the age at the time of the commission of the crime.

Furthermore, this is consistent with the way things are approached if other things are changed in between the time of the commission of the crime and the time of punishment. To take the most stark example, if a crime does not call for the death penalty at the time it was committed, the death penalty cannot subsequently be imposed by the legislature and applied to that person.

I can think of no example of a situation where circumstances that change between the time of the crime and the time of the punishment can enhance the punishment from the level it was at when the crime was committed (and there are VERY few circumstances when such circumstances can reduce the punishment)

So, in response to your question - the answer is "it doesn't matter"

Quote Originally Posted by Capable
    Whatever the number is, it should be more.
    It should be one higher after that 14 year old who shot and killed his bus driver today. I know, I know, he didn't know what he was doing was wrong
    "Don't Give Me Defensive Players Who Can't Tackle . . . What Am I Going to Do With Them ?" - Bill Belichick

Quote Originally Posted by flyerhawk
    So if a 5 year old kills someone and we wait until he's 18 before we execute him that makes it ok?
    I didn't say it was ok. In fact, I've stated on many occasions that I am generally opposed to the death penalty.

I'm simply trying to get clarification on what I believe is an incorrect statement.

To state that the US executes minors appears to be inaccurate (and highly inflammatory). To state that the US has executed individuals who were under 18 at the time of the crime appears to be correct.

So, my follow up question is: Are there any other countries that do the same? (I don't care to base our policy on the worlds approval, I'm just curious as to what the true facts of the matter are)

Anyone who is not a registered republican should be executed, regardless of age or gender. The world would be so much more bareable in it's conformity,almost like a right wing heaven. :D

a 14 year old killed his school busdriver today??

i say execute the parents that let their kid get their stupid hands on a gun.
    ----------------------

if you want to follow me you should know
    I was lost then and I'm lost now
    And I doubt I'll ever know which way to go

Quote Originally Posted by chukadoo
    Anyone who is not a registered republican should be executed, regardless of age or gender. The world would be so much more bareable in it's conformity,almost like a right wing heaven. :D
    There's a lot of hatred in your posts recently, chuk...

It may be sarcasm...but it appears that there is real venom underneath.

BTW- there's no need to kill off Libertarians either.

Quote Originally Posted by SinkLikeAStone
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,149182,00.html
    "Don't Give Me Defensive Players Who Can't Tackle . . . What Am I Going to Do With Them ?" - Bill Belichick

Why bother? It's the gun that's evil...not the parents or child.

Newsflash: he could just as easily have done it with a knife.

Maybe the busdriver was a f@cking witch!!!! or a democrat. :eek:

Quote Originally Posted by vikingfan
    Newsflash: he could just as easily have done it with a knife.
    No he couldn't. I have a much better chance of getting away from someone trying to kill my with a knife than someone trying to kill me with a gun. But I'm pro gun control and that's for a different thread. Just to clarify, you can kill people with a knife, but not "just as easily".

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast