PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Detroit Tigers: Youth movement

LionFan2k
04-05-2010, 07:58 PM
We are less than 15 minutes from the start of baseball in KC and I figured it's time to start the thread. I'm really interested to see how AJax and Sizemore play, and how Miggy/Maggs bat the first few weeks.

GO TIGERS!

Nastradamus
04-06-2010, 05:39 AM
1-0. Great showing other than Verlander. Guys like Jackson,Maggs,Inge and Damon all had nice outings. 161 more to go now. Bullpen looked as advertised as well. Great showing by them.

Nastradamus
04-06-2010, 05:39 AM
1-0. Great showing other than Verlander. Guys like Jackson,Maggs,Inge and Damon all had nice outings. 161 more to go now. Bullpen looked as advertised as well. Great showing by them. The Central is going to come down to starting pitching

VikingFan2k2
04-08-2010, 09:06 AM
I'll tell you, regardless of how the outcome of the Detroit game was today, that Scherzer kid sounds like he could be the real deal.

Per Yahoo:

Apr 7 RHP Max Scherzer could not have done much better in his Detroit debut Wednesday. Scherzer pitched six innings of one-hit shutout ball before being relieved at the start of the seventh after throwing 91 pitches. Scherzer relied mainly on his fastball-changeup combination with few sliders and might have gone another inning had 3B Brandon Inge not bobbled a seemingly certain double-play grounder with one out and a man on first in the fifth. Scherzer wound up getting a called third strike on a 2-2 pitch with the bases loaded to end the inning. Scherzer didn't give up a hit until C Jason Kendall hit a soft single to right-center with two out in the fifth.

LionFan2k
04-08-2010, 03:32 PM
Unfortunately none of us got to see Scherzer pitch as the Tigers game was a join in progress due to the Wings and Pistons both playing. We didn't get the game til it was into the eighth:mad:

Nice to see Miggy being clutch already as he was the last hope. Valverdge giving up two bombs wasn't smart, felt like we were watching Fernando out there. He needs to use his secondary pitches, both HR's were off fastballs.

Let's get the win today and win our first series of the year!

Go Tigers!

VikingFan2k2
04-09-2010, 07:52 AM
Looks like the D-Train had a quality start for you tonight.

I will say, despite the fact that he plays for a division rival, I really am rooting for him to succeed. He is one of the greatest guys in the game and if he can find the magic he had 4 or 5 years ago, the Tigers have a very dangerous rotation...

A very good story from Yahoo's Jeff Passan:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AsjY5RsTJRGDCCfLse1.O4w5nYcB?slug=jp-willis040810

Cake
04-09-2010, 11:11 AM
Nice to see D-Train have a decent outing. Good for him and good for the Tigers.

Youngest rotation in majors according to STATS.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100407&content_id=9127298&notebook_id=9127326&vkey=notebook_det&fext=.jsp&c_id=det

LionFan2k
04-09-2010, 08:36 PM
Nice to see Maggs tearing the cover off the ball. I think the WBC and his wife's illness really messed him up for most of last year, up until August/September.

3-1 aint too shabby to start it off :)

Nastradamus
04-10-2010, 01:51 AM
Maggs is in shape, that's the big difference. Not just in shape, but toned with added muscle. His power is back. I knew in spring he'd have a good year. Well, too early to tell, but looks good.

3-1. Off to a good start. Beating the crap teams, but that matters too. If we beat up on our division, we should win it.

Miggy for MVP!

Nastradamus
04-10-2010, 01:52 AM
Nice to see D-Train have a decent outing. Good for him and good for the Tigers.

Youngest rotation in majors according to STATS.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100407&content_id=9127298&notebook_id=9127326&vkey=notebook_det&fext=.jsp&c_id=det

Yea, I think most want to see him succeed to some degree. It was sad to see him break down and he was always so fun to watch. Basically, what VF said.
He still looks a little erratic, but if he can put it together and give us 175 innings, we will be tough to beat. DW and Bondo need to give us innings, because the youngsters can only give so many

Nastradamus
04-10-2010, 01:53 AM
Unfortunately none of us got to see Scherzer pitch as the Tigers game was a join in progress due to the Wings and Pistons both playing. We didn't get the game til it was into the eighth:mad:

Nice to see Miggy being clutch already as he was the last hope. Valverdge giving up two bombs wasn't smart, felt like we were watching Fernando out there. He needs to use his secondary pitches, both HR's were off fastballs.

Let's get the win today and win our first series of the year!

Go Tigers!

I'm guessing he'll take a little adjusting to the AL. Kinda like Lyon last year.

LionFan2k
04-12-2010, 02:16 AM
5-1 after the first two series with a comeback win on Sunday? Great start so far.

If we can go .500 on the West Coast swing I'll be happy. JV was off again today, but I think that is just what we are going to have to expect from him his first few starts. I bet by the end of the month to the end of the season he'll be clutch as usual. Nice seeing Sizemore get a RBI double today, and a great job by Damon to come in off the bench to get the game tying walk. He has really been a great pick up both on the field and in the clubhouse... everyone really seems to like him. Maybe that chemistry can lead to a run deep in October? Only time and 156 more games will tell.

Nastradamus
04-12-2010, 04:18 AM
JV started out a little rocky last year too, but if he is our big pitching worry, we'll be ok. Willis looked ok, better than the last few years at least, but he also didn't assure me that he is going to be effective over the course of a full season. Hopefully Galarraga gets his act together so we have a reliable replacement.

We beat the teams we were supposed to, the trip out west will be a good test now. We look like we have a solid balance of hitting,pitching and defense with a lights out bullpen.

Nastradamus
04-30-2010, 07:23 PM
that win over Minnesota on the back of Willis' 6 shutout innings was damn impressive. Too bad we blew game 1. Either way, proud of DW.

Dave
05-01-2010, 12:31 AM
Laird is going to kill this team all year. Every team has a weakness, but it's like we're a friggin' NL team with him in the order.

Nastradamus
05-01-2010, 03:40 AM
Laird is going to kill this team all year. Every team has a weakness, but it's like we're a friggin' NL team with him in the order.

Ah, with Avila playing more and more as the season goes on we'll be fine. I just want him to get his D going like it was last year.

Another great win tonight. Our offense if borderline dominant. Jackson went 5 for 5 and took the AL hits lead back. No strikeouts for 3 or 4 games in a row. Porcello was kinda bad, but at after his shaky start put down 9 in a row at one point. Needs to improve much more though obviously.

Boesch and Sizemore had their first HRs in the majors in the same inning. Pretty crazy I thought. Boesch's grand slam was the key to the game. That kid will be an impact player for this team down the line.

Nastradamus
05-01-2010, 08:13 PM
Damon walk off. 4 in a row against Twins and Angels!

Edit- make it 5, sweep of Angels on the back of a dominant, bullpen saving JV performance. Another 5 runs as well.

seahawksfan837
05-04-2010, 06:21 AM
WTF is up with Scherzer? I have him in a fantasy pay league and he was pitching really well until the last couple games where he's been throwing batting practice.

I noticed that his fastball has been around 90-92 MPH. Is he hurt?

Nastradamus
05-04-2010, 04:24 PM
WTF is up with Scherzer? I have him in a fantasy pay league and he was pitching really well until the last couple games where he's been throwing batting practice.

I don't know man, but i feel your pain. He hasn't been good the last couple times out. I hope he gets better. Maybe he needs a 15 day DL stint.

seahawksfan837
05-04-2010, 06:50 PM
I don't know man, but i feel your pain. He hasn't been good the last couple times out. I hope he gets better. Maybe he needs a 15 day DL stint.

Yeah, I dunno, I was really alarmed to see his velocity so low. Maybe it's just me but he usually seems to be up around 95 or so. At least 93, 94. He's been around 89-90, topping out at 92. That's somewhat troublesome IMO. It may be nothing, but it's sure causing him to become a lot more hittable.

Hopefully he gets it together. I've always liked Scherzer a lot, I thought that was an excellent trade for Detroit.

Nastradamus
05-04-2010, 07:03 PM
Yeah, I dunno, I was really alarmed to see his velocity so low. Maybe it's just me but he usually seems to be up around 95 or so. At least 93, 94. He's been around 89-90, topping out at 92. That's somewhat troublesome IMO. It may be nothing, but it's sure causing him to become a lot more hittable.

Hopefully he gets it together. I've always liked Scherzer a lot, I thought that was an excellent trade for Detroit.

yah, hopefully its a bump in the road

ducky
05-04-2010, 09:03 PM

He faced the Twin's....that's what happened. ;)

This is a common time for a lot of pitchers to develop a bit of a dead arm....although usually with sinkerball pitchers that is not such a bad thing (more movement). So that might be part of his problem.

I certainly have not been impressed with his stuff from the games I saw him pitch. Looks to be a MOR guy to me who can give you innings but they will never be great innings. Last season he sported a pretty high 4.12 in a punchless NL west...based on that I wouldn't expect his ERA to be under 4.5 this season in what is going to be a pretty offensive AL Central if he doesn't take any steps forward in his progress.

seahawksfan837
05-04-2010, 10:12 PM

This is a common time for a lot of pitchers to develop a bit of a dead arm....although usually with sinkerball pitchers that is not such a bad thing (more movement). So that might be part of his problem.

I certainly have not been impressed with his stuff from the games I saw him pitch. Looks to be a MOR guy to me who can give you innings but they will never be great innings. Last season he sported a pretty high 4.12 in a punchless NL west...based on that I wouldn't expect his ERA to be under 4.5 this season in what is going to be a pretty offensive AL Central if he doesn't take any steps forward in his progress.

The Twins lineup is definitely impressive but Scherzer is no MOR guy. He's a TOR talent and had been pitching really well until his last 2 outings where he's lost a bit of velocity. His high ERA last year was more due to wildness and the common inconsistency that comes with a young pitcher. He's got big time stuff.

Good point about the dead arm. That's probably pretty close to what's going on there. A 15 day DL stint might not be a bad idea.

LionFan2k
05-05-2010, 01:28 AM
RIP Ernie Harwell. One of the best announcers ever but even a better human being. Baseball lost a great man today.

Nastradamus
05-05-2010, 02:09 AM

I don't agree with everything, but actually, playing the Twins wasn't any favor to him. He hasn't been sharp either way though.

Nastradamus
05-05-2010, 02:10 AM
RIP Ernie Harwell. One of the best announcers ever but even a better human being. Baseball lost a great man today.

Just an absolutely great person and great broadcaster. Nobody compares to him as a broadcaster IMO. Something about that voice makes you ready for some baseball.

LionFan2k
05-14-2010, 03:01 AM
3 outta 4 vs the Yanks with Bondo, JV and Porcello looking good bodes well for us in the future. Lets keep the momentum going versus the Sox.

Nastradamus
05-14-2010, 05:34 PM
3 outta 4 vs the Yanks with Bondo, JV and Porcello looking good bodes well for us in the future. Lets keep the momentum going versus the Sox.

Quality starts from Porcello,Bonderman and Verlander against the MFY's and the first to shut them out twice in a series in 11 years.

brosb4all
05-16-2010, 02:45 PM
Scherzer and Sizemore sent down to AAA, Guillen to play second when he returns. Danny Worth and Galarraga called up.

I actually like these moves. You can't have .220 hitters 6-9. Hopefully Inge can become a .260 hitter like he has in the past, Avilla replaces Laird, and with Guillen replacing Sizemore, now Everett is the only hole in the line-up and his defense makes it worth it.

I will also be interested to see what Danny Worth does in short stint. Will be a good trial for him. Also, Galarraga was pitching well in AAA so hopefully he can do the same in the Big Leagues.

Dave
05-16-2010, 08:39 PM
The problem with the Tigers this season is that it never feels good or pulled together. Not like a team with a winning record should feel. We win but it's by the skin of our teeth. I have no faith in the bullpen. The last three hitters in the order are almost automatic outs, etc. These moves indicated to me that DD feels we can win the division this year. It also feels like we could just as easily fall apart, but who knows. Bonderman and Willis despite their records aren't pitching all that well, but have had good games. Can we win 95-98 games? Who knows. The problem is the Twins are always a very well-built team and never seem to have bad pitching.

Nastradamus
05-17-2010, 06:28 PM
First, I love the moves we made. Don't care about Worth, but Guillen at 2B can only be an upgrade. He can't be worse than Sizemore defensively and his bat is a big plus. Also allows us to keep Boesch in the lineup, which is also a big plus.

Galarraga is a guy I have confidence in to be a strong 3/4 starter type and that is exactly what we need. Scherzer will be fine most likely, but he is awful right now, so don't keep running him out there when we have options.

I agree we haven't fully gelled, but I feel as if we will only get better. Verlander is hitting his stride and hopefully Bondo and Porcello are as well. They have showed signs of it, like the quality starts vs. the Yanks. If 3 or 4 of our pitchers can get in a groove(and hopefully the D improves, as we have the personnel), we will be hard to beat. I think we will see improvements in the lineup from both Boesch and Guillen being in there and from the bottom guys improving. They aren't good, but they aren't the .150 hitters they are right now. Inge and Avila need to have big 2nd halves and I think they will. Hopefully Santiago plays more too, like 2/3 games or so.

ducky
05-17-2010, 08:38 PM
I was looking at the stats for the year so far. How the hell have the Tiger's won 55% of their games (or whatever it is right now) while at the same time having the worst starting staff in the AL up to this point???

The scary thing about that stat is that you know for a fact that with all the talent that the Tigers have in the rotation that they will finish the season in MUCH better position than they are now (last year they were 4th in the AL in ERA as starters).

Nastradamus
05-18-2010, 03:28 AM
A ton of comebacks and a wide spead on the quality of starts we have been getting. Its either a really good, 0 or 1 runs let up start or its a guy getting bombed for 6 in 4 innings. The bullpen has been really good and that combined with an offense that at times is explosive has lead to a ton of comebacks after the starter got rocked.

Either way though, it won't hold up if the staff doesn't improve. I think it will, but its far from a sure thing. I expect Porcello to straighten out and be a solid top 3 type and I expect Galarraga and Bonderman to be mostly solid while eating up more innings than our starters have been thus far. They are both 4s, maybe 3s at the most depending on how they are going. If we can get 06 Bonderman and rookie year AG we will be in good shape. The key is, can Willis be the solid 5th starter that he has been at times or is he doomed to be the imploding guy we saw other times? Same for Scherzer. Can one of them put it together and be at least somewhat dependable? Lots of question marks, but lots of talent IMO. Hopefully we can get much more consistent quality starts as the season progresses. They don't have to be great even, just dependable 1-5.

LionFan2k
05-18-2010, 04:26 PM
I like the moves as well. It was obvious that Sizemore isn't ready quite yet. I think Carlos will do fine at second, and there was no way Boesch was going back down.

Scherzer will stay down til he can throw his secondary pitches for strikes, then I imagine he'll come up for D-Train. That should leave our rotation in pretty good shape I think. Hopefully Willis doesn't cost us too many wins until Max is ready.

I just wonder who they'll bring up when they send Casper Wells back down. Most likely Raburn, but I wouldn't mind seeing them bring up Larish/Strieby.

GO TIGERS!

Nastradamus
05-18-2010, 06:41 PM
Agreed on Scherzer Willis. I would prefer Wells as the backup OF personally, over any of the guys listed because he can defend 3 positions.

Was really hoping Porcello would have a strong start today.

LionFan2k
05-19-2010, 01:33 AM
Good point on Wells playing all 3 OF positions. I just don't know if he'll have the bat to justify staying up when we already have a bunch of .200 hitters. Thats why I could see Larish/Strieby/Raburn/Clete Thomas. Who knows what will happen tho.

Porcello couldn't find the strike zone today and Boesch made a bad move not going home on the deep grounder to first. Damn White Sox always play us tough.

seahawksfan837
05-19-2010, 05:38 AM
My fantasy team would like to thank Boesch for his contributions.

It would also like to give Scherzer a big F U for his contributions.

Not that you guys care or anything. :p

Nastradamus
05-19-2010, 06:53 PM
My fantasy team would like to thank Boesch for his contributions.

It would also like to give Scherzer a big F U for his contributions.

Not that you guys care or anything. :p

I feel your pain though

Nastradamus
05-21-2010, 01:29 AM
Good start to the road trip. We usually do well in interleague play

seahawksfan837
05-21-2010, 07:23 AM
Scherzer had a great AAA start. 8 shutout innings with one hit and 10 K's. He probably needed that quick demotion in the biggest way. He's got great stuff and it was probably a confidence thing. I think those 2 Twins starts he had back to back messed him up a little bit. I bet he comes back pitching like he did at the beginning of the year.

Nastradamus
05-21-2010, 06:42 PM
God I hope you are right. The dominating start is encouraging though, especially since stuff has been part of the issue.

Nastradamus
05-27-2010, 11:23 PM
Perry really killed us yesterday, but he has been so dominant lately(have you ever seen this many dominant relievers on one team???) that I certainly forgive him. It happens over the course of the season. Sucks because Bonderman was once again very good, his 4th or 5th good start in a row now.

Bonderman could become an interesting issue. If he has a great year, do you re-sign him? I'd have a tough time letting him walk, but also a tough time guaranteeing him a bunch of money. At worst maybe we get 2 first rounds

seahawksfan837
05-29-2010, 09:03 PM
Scherzer back. Taking Armando's spot.

Nastradamus
05-30-2010, 02:09 AM
Scherzer back. Taking Armando's spot.

Was bound to happen. Scherzer dominated in a few starts down there. Hope he can bring it up here. I'd like Armando to take Willis' spot down the road if he doesn't improve.

seahawksfan837
05-30-2010, 03:56 AM
Scherzer was beyond unhittable in the minors. Hopefully whatever issue he had is gone now. I was pleasantly surprised and had him pegged as the steal of our draft (I got him in the 15th round or so) until he imploded.

seahawksfan837
05-30-2010, 06:24 AM
Scratch that: Willis DFA'd.

seahawksfan837
05-30-2010, 08:00 PM
Wow Nas, you weren't kidding about Bonderman. In my fantasy league I noticed he's a 2-start pitcher next week and I was looking at his game log and he's been great other than one game this year. I went to that game in Seattle, so that has been my only impression of him. He's a WA guy so I always pull for him. He's having a good year.

Nastradamus
05-31-2010, 06:59 PM
Sad about Willis. While I wanted to see him get more chances, you could tell he was a house of cards out there, always close to imploding. I hope he goes to an NL team like St.Louis or Milwaukee, with a good pitching coach and has some success as a 4th or 5th starter. He still has ok stuff.

Scherzer was freakin' dominant on Sunday. It was the A's(who Willis struggled a bit against), but no runs and 14 Ks is good against anyone. Especially in less than 6 innings. He could have broke the Tiger record easy with another inning or 2.

Glad to see Bonderman get recognized. I think he is going to continue to excel and I would pick him up in fantasy for sure.

seahawksfan837
05-31-2010, 07:32 PM
I think it's safe to say Scherzer is back.

17 outs, 14 K's. That is honestly one of the most impressive things I've seen in baseball in a long time. Dude has amazing stuff.

Nastradamus
06-01-2010, 02:28 AM
I think it's safe to say Scherzer is back.

17 outs, 14 K's. That is honestly one of the most impressive things I've seen in baseball in a long time. Dude has amazing stuff.

First time anyone did that since '53. Damn! Too bad we can't win a freakin' game otherwise!

Nastradamus
06-08-2010, 06:36 PM
Tigers got another guy that should have gone higher in the draft. A power hitting SS who will likely move to 3B sooner than later. They got a RP with the other slot and the rumor is we took him because he was a little cheaper while we have to go over slot quite a bit for the 3B(Castellanos).

Smart picks probably. They like having depth of RPs in their system and we have no strong 3B prospect in the system, except maybe the SS out of UM. 3B is only 18 though

LionFan2k
06-09-2010, 09:46 PM
I like the picks so far.. especially taking 3 catchers early. Lord knows we need help in our system, and supposedly the Leyland kid isn't too bad either. Helps when your Dad manages the big club :)

Nastradamus
06-09-2010, 10:41 PM
I like the picks so far.. especially taking 3 catchers early. Lord knows we need help in our system, and supposedly the Leyland kid isn't too bad either. Helps when your Dad manages the big club :)

I always like to have a lot of good Cs in the system as well. I think Avila is going to be an absolute stud, but you never know if he'll get injured, fail or become too expensive. Catchers can always be traded too.

Nastradamus
06-13-2010, 06:34 PM
2 wins in a row, nice walk off by Guillen yesterday. Lets keep it going. We play a lot of weak teams in interleague. We need to catch up games here.

Porcello sucks. He may need to go to AAA. On the other hand, JV,Bonderman,Scherzer and Galaragga look like they'll be steady for us.

Jackson has been tailing off and its hurting us. We aren't the same without him starting things up. May have to move Damon to leadoff, with Jackson to 7th to jumpstart bottom of lineup.

If we are close in a month, we have to look at adding offense at 3B or SS probably. Aramis Ramirez? Peralta?

seahawksfan837
06-15-2010, 05:12 AM
Scherzer is a 2-starter in my league this week. I'm taking the big risk of starting him. Pretty good matchups though.

Nastradamus
06-16-2010, 08:00 PM
Not too bad for Scherzer. 9 Ks, 3 ERs. Didn't get the win though right?

seahawksfan837
06-16-2010, 11:30 PM
Yup. Got the win.

LionFan2k
06-17-2010, 08:10 PM
6 straight, 1.5 back from the Twinkies with the Dbacks coming to town this weekend. Guess who is starting Friday and Saturday? Willis and EJ. Looking forward to seeing those boys back in the D. With the way we've been hitting I think we can easily sweep this weekend set and go on a 9 gamer. I'll be sitting behind homeplate Sunday to see Scherzer hopefully put up some good numbers for you seahawks

Nastradamus
06-17-2010, 08:32 PM
Damn we kill interleague. Over .700 ball since 06(matched by Twinkies unfortunately). Pirates and Nats are awful, but 6 straight is good no matter what. This team is clicking right now with Guillen back, Boeshch masing and Bondo,Scherzer and GAlarraga stabilizing the rotation .Porcello is a huge issue still as of now.

seahawksfan837
06-18-2010, 12:01 AM
WTF is with that Boesch dude? Was he a big prospect? He's raping the ball right now.

Nastradamus
06-18-2010, 06:30 PM
WTF is with that Boesch dude? Was he a big prospect? He's raping the ball right now.

He wasn't a super prospect, but over the last year the Tigers started to realize that he was going to be a power hitter at this level sooner than later. Guillen's injury gave him an opportunity and away he went. Nobody expected him to do this so early, that's for sure. Exciting to finally have a lefty power hitter behind Cabrera. 1st in most major rookie categories.

Did you grab Bondo in fantasy? Still lookin' strong.

seahawksfan837
06-22-2010, 12:54 AM
He wasn't a super prospect, but over the last year the Tigers started to realize that he was going to be a power hitter at this level sooner than later. Guillen's injury gave him an opportunity and away he went. Nobody expected him to do this so early, that's for sure. Exciting to finally have a lefty power hitter behind Cabrera. 1st in most major rookie categories.

Did you grab Bondo in fantasy? Still lookin' strong.

Yes sir. It's nice 'cause he's eligible at RP.

Boesch is having an outstanding year. Heyward is getting all the hype but Boesch has been better with less ABs.

Nastradamus
06-22-2010, 01:41 AM
Yes sir. It's nice 'cause he's eligible at RP.

Boesch is having an outstanding year. Heyward is getting all the hype but Boesch has been better with less ABs.

Good pickup. He and Scherzer are both looking good. Honestly, no matter what happens from here on out, you can't call the Jackson trade a bad one. Scherzer is obviously a very good talent and Jackson is hardly dominant, plus he may not be in AZ long. You could argue the deal freed up money for Valverde as well

While I thought Boesch would be a good one, nobody was thinking he'd do this. He has saved our season arguably. He's been worth at least 2 or 3 games in the standings. I never thought he'd compete with Hewyard. It will be interesting to see where he ends up settling in. I'm thinking closer to Jason Kubel than Justin Morneau if that makes sense.

seahawksfan837
06-22-2010, 04:23 AM
Either way the kid has shown something.

The Grandy trade was a great deal for you guys IMO. Scherzer > Jackson by a ton, even with Scherzer's struggles.

Austin Jackson may have hit a bit of a wall, but he will be good too IMO. Being able to add a guy like Valverde too is just icing on the cake. Well done all the way around.

Good call on Maggs too. He's given that lineup a good spark.

Nastradamus
06-29-2010, 07:43 PM
First Place! But Zumaya goes down again. Crushing. Its gonna be a long battle this season, but it keeps things interesting during baseball season. Gotta love this group of players. Stars like Miggy, Verlander and even Valverde to some degree, young studs like Boesch,Jackson,Perry,Coke,Avila(to some degree),Scherzer etc. and bounceback players like Bonderman,Magglio,Guillen,Zumaya(was anyways)

Nastradamus
07-12-2010, 03:18 AM
lost today, but won the series vs. Minnesota and we are 3 games up going to the break. Solid. Need an innings eating SP and possibly a bat. I'm thinking maybe Ted Lilly or a Wiggington/Millwood combination.

LionFan2k
07-28-2010, 01:51 AM
Looks like we are dead in the water with all the injuries now. We could handle losing Zumaya and Inge but losing Maggs and Guillen (again) kills. The no hitter yesterday was awful, most of our lineup was in Toledo to start the year :rolleyes:

VikingFan2k2
07-28-2010, 08:28 AM
Looks like we are dead in the water with all the injuries now. We could handle losing Zumaya and Inge but losing Maggs and Guillen (again) kills. The no hitter yesterday was awful, most of our lineup was in Toledo to start the year :rolleyes:

Yeah it's looking pretty bad for you guys right now. You might be able to stay afloat if you make a few trades. It's just tough for you because of the way the White Sox and Twins are playing.

Nastradamus
07-30-2010, 04:27 PM
We look to be struggling, hopefully Peralta helps. He can defend 3B(poor range, but good arm and can catch the ball) while Inge is out and he can drive in runs(43 so far) better than most guys we have with Maggs,Guillen and Inge out. I assume he'll play a little SS when Inge comes back, whether its a great fit or not. His bat will be an upgrade there.

At least Porcello and Scherzer are getting it together. Maybe our pitching can keep us afloat. We need a win streak or we are dead soon.

Galarraga vs Lester tonight is not what the doctor ordered, especially on the road, where we are a lovely 16-33

Nastradamus
08-10-2010, 08:11 PM
So, we suck. That is all.

That said, the future is bright IMO.

C-Avila- I think next year is his breakout year, he's a guy I think will help with our goals of deepening the lineup and doing better with RISP. A backup may be needed, but I'm cool with Laird if he can be brought back cheaply.

1B- Cabrera- Nuff said

2B - start out the season with Guillen(his last finally, though I like his game) and ride him as long as possible. He gives way to Sizemore or maybe a guy like Rhymes when he gets hurt eventually. I think Sizemore is another guy who can improve our ability to drive in runs. He's a gritty, coach's dream type of player. He'll make himself a solid defender.

3B/SS- Inge is probalby re-signed and Peralta has an option. I think Santiago or Dlugach, Peralta and inge share 2 positions with Inge getting most of the 3B time if healthy. I'd take a gamble on a guy like Stephen Drew if possible at a reasonable price.

LF - ? - Could be Damon, could be a rookie or Raburn. Could be a FA signing such as Crawford as well. He's a guy I'd pay, as we need speed and defense.

CF - Jackson - plays great D, has hit .300 and hopefully only goes up from here. Sophomore slump is always possible, but its a risk you take.

RF/DH - Maggs/Boesch - I think Maggs is brought back at some price and Boesch will get every chance to earn regular at bats. We have no lefty power and he can see a lot of fastballs behind Cabrera, just has to polish his selection a bit. If they sell high and trade Boesch, someone like Dunn could be brought in, as they seem to love him.

SP - Verlander,Scherzer,Porcello are a nice trio to build around IMO. We need a veteran horse though. Ideally a #2, but even a 3/4 type would work. Ted Lily is out there, Cubs might dump Zambrano, Pavano is out there as well as other journeyman type. Gotta choose wisely. Oliver and Galarraga most likely battle for the 5 spot. Bonderman probably walks, but we'll see.

RP - Should be fine. We'll have Valverde for another year, Perry will be dominant by next year IMO, we haev plenty of lefties, lead by studs in Coke and Schlereth and the other spots will be filled by some combo of Thomas,Bonine,Miner,Fien,Satterwhite,Weinhardt,Zum aya,Gonzalez,Seay,Ni etc.

Gotta get one bat and one starter and that's about it. Maybe a SS. I think we end up going for Dunn because I think DD is fascinated by him and we'll overpay if needed. Crawford probably goes to a bigger market like Boston, but we may have a shot if we open the checkbook.

I'd personally offer Lee 6-7 years at 25 per. Instead of always paying mediocre pitchers 7-11 milliion, pay it all to one stud who is highly unlikely to fall off and try to build the rest of the team on the cheap, through young players. We may also be able to acquire talent by taking on a bad contract or two with our financial flexibility. Chone Figgins and a prospect for Peralta or something like that.

**** it, I was bored and its been a while since there was any Tiger talk

The Q
08-10-2010, 08:49 PM
I would platoon Boesch and Rabrun.

Move Guillen to LF if Sizemore proves he can handle 2B.

Bonderman is a league average SP and he's still young enough where he can have another above average year or two. If he takes league average money I think you gamble.

Nastradamus
08-12-2010, 04:01 AM
I would platoon Boesch and Rabrun.

Move Guillen to LF if Sizemore proves he can handle 2B.

Bonderman is a league average SP and he's still young enough where he can have another above average year or two. If he takes league average money I think you gamble.

I pretty much agree with all of this, except possibly Guillen in LF. I'm not largely opposed either though. Boesch/Raburn/Maggs will be our RF/DH combo IMO. I have a feeling they make a run at Dunn and/or Crawford though as well as re-upping Maggs for 1 year 8 mil with an option year or something like that. I'd like to improve our OF defense, ideally via a LF.

Bonderman may retire I guess. If he signs cheap, with incentives or something, he'd be worth if even as a 6th starter type. Its not that I don't like him at all, its that his spot is the most likely to be taken over by an upgraded replacement.

Nastradamus
08-17-2010, 06:38 PM
Well, we averted some disaster and got our picks signed. I thought we would though, Illitch has been very committed to spending on the draft. I'm excited for this class. Our last 3-4 drafts have been strong, at the top at least.

Q, you agree with the Castellanos/Longoria comparison?

Nastradamus
09-07-2010, 08:47 PM
Hey Q, your boy Raburn is heating up. I'm glad to see it for one. As is Casper Wells, who I think is a 5 tool guy who can really help us. None of his tools are great though. Anyways, I hope to re-up Magglio, but hopefully they let Damon walk. Let Boesch,Raburn and Wells hold down the corner spots. They can hopefully be young,cheap sources of power that will help us compete with the Twins. We will maybe never have their lineup, but we have the potential to have much better starting pitching, so lets spend our money there. Go for Lee and if you can't get him pick up a Lily or Zambrano.

As of now, I see this as our '10 lineup

C-Avila/Buck(they seem to love him and they can't 100% rely on Avila, though I believe in him)
1B-Cabrera-duh
2B Guillen(until he gets hurt) -Sizemore(hopefully)-otherwise guys like Rhymes and Worth will just have to hold it down and be our glue guy types
SS - biggest question mark on the whole team. Gotta find a quality starter who can defend and hit above .260. Drew? Iorg has again become intriguing. Could be Peralta/Santiago until Iorg is ready(which could be never, but he was very rusty after a 4 year Mormon trip and now looks bad ass)
3B - Inge - Unless we find a huge upgrade, there is no reason to move on. He defends well and I think he has fixed his hitting to the point where he'll produce enough to justify his spot. I expect .265, 20-25 HRs and 80-90 RBI. He took a month to get his knees right this year, but his swing was fixed last year.
LF - Rayburn - Wells - competition, but Raburn starts IMO. Wells backs up 3 spots
CF - Jackson - pure stud, hopefully no soph slump
RF - Boesch(gotta hope working on discipline and hitting behind Miggy gets him producing) - Kelly(all purpose backup that's good to have around)
DH - Magglio - Gotta think we want him more than anyone else and I doubt he wants to leave. Johnny Damon type deal with team option. Could go for Dunn first though.

SPs - Verlander,Scherzer,Porcello, X, Bondo/Galarraga/Oliver

BP - Thomas,Miner/Bonine(long relief guys),Perry,Zumaya,Weinhardt, Coke,Schlereth(Seay if one is dealt),Valverde -other youngsters in mix and obviously 8-9 guys can't be kept. We have to deal from this strength and try to find a young SP or something. Lots of teams need pen help.

biggest trade chips - Turner(GM and HC at end of their rope),Coke,Boesch,Valverde and Peralta if they take his option.

The Q
09-07-2010, 08:59 PM
Well, we averted some disaster and got our picks signed. I thought we would though, Illitch has been very committed to spending on the draft. I'm excited for this class. Our last 3-4 drafts have been strong, at the top at least.

Q, you agree with the Castellanos/Longoria comparison?

I don't like the Longo comp, although I'm a big fan of Castellanos.

The Q
09-07-2010, 09:01 PM
I think Boesch, Wells and Raburn are all platoon guys. You should thus do so with them. Find another guy to platoon out there with them.

I woudln't resign Maggs, I'd buy some pitching. With good platoons your offense should be good.

I'd probably try Guillen at 3B if possible. That's your black hole, esp since Inge is a FA IIRC.

Nastradamus
09-09-2010, 05:05 PM
Guillen sucks at 3B, was solid at 2B though. That's our real hole. I'd much rather have Guillen and Inge(better D and O) than Guillen and Sizemore/Rhymes.

I think platoon guys is way too strong. Raburn proved he can hit plenty more than just right handers. The 3 of them should platoon 2 spots IMO. I have no idea how we'd replace Magglio better at DH. Who would play there? Gotta have him back, I can't replace a .300 plus guy who drives in runs and hits 3rd.

Nastradamus
09-09-2010, 05:06 PM
I don't like the Longo comp, although I'm a big fan of Castellanos.

Thanx, these things tend to be exaggerated. I hope he can make it in 2-3 years.

The Q
10-11-2010, 07:51 PM
I put my money where my mouth is and drafted Castellanos 15th overall in my dynasty league draft.

I then traded back up into the 2nd and took Yasmani Grandal with the 18th overall pick.

IMO i got two of the ten best players in the draft.

Nastradamus
10-13-2010, 03:51 PM
I gotta admit I like to hear that you have faith in Castellanos. I'm sure it'll be at least 2 years, but I can wait.

MonkeyBones
10-21-2010, 09:18 PM
Watch out: Brandon Inge is back!!!

2 years $11M

What a waste of money.

Nastradamus
10-21-2010, 09:40 PM
Really? That's a great deal IMO. A). Who is the upgrade out there? Would you rather give 2-3 times that money to Beltre? Inge is one of the better defenders at the position and while not a special hitter or anything, he's pretty good for a guy out of the 7 hole. I just don't see how we could have replaced him. I also think you win with pitching and defense in this division and in baseball in general. Statistically he was worth about 8 million last year according to WAR. I also like that he's one of the few(maybe only) hitters in our lineup who takes a lot of pitches and doesn't just swing at everything. I'd much rather spend the big bucks elsewhere, as the 3Bs out there aren't worth it IMO. Use that money on Dunn and a set up guy, maybe bring back Maggs for a year or 2 as well. Maggs was easily our 2nd best hitter last year, it's not giong to be easy to lose him. If the price is right, you gotta do it.

I'm hoping a prospect like Castellanos is ready by the end of the contract.

The Q
10-27-2010, 06:50 PM
So Nas, why the hell are the Tigers bring Jhonny back?

I don't get it.

Nastradamus
10-27-2010, 07:03 PM
So Nas, why the hell are the Tigers bring Jhonny back?

I don't get it.

who's an available upgrade? He gives us pop in the bottom of the lineup,which we lacked and Inge helps to cover his defensive liabilities. Back him up with a defender I suppose. What would you have done? I'm hoping Iorg takes his job in the next year, but we'll see.

The Q
10-27-2010, 07:20 PM
I think Iorg is hopeless, but the problem is he isn't really good. Neither is Peralta, I'd rather see them save money, go for a short term deal and let that Nunez kid develop. He probably won't be a star, but he can be serviceable.

I'd also be looking at the Yankees Nunez.

Nastradamus
10-27-2010, 07:39 PM
I think Iorg is hopeless, but the problem is he isn't really good. Neither is Peralta, I'd rather see them save money, go for a short term deal and let that Nunez kid develop. He probably won't be a star, but he can be serviceable.

I'd also be looking at the Yankees Nunez.

Well we don't have a lot to trade. I think they see Peralta as a bridge to our Nunez. Not sure I agree on Iorg though. His D has always seemed to impress scouts and his bat has lagged behind, below the .200 level at times. However, he took something like 4 years off out of HS for a Mormon mission. He really seemed to lose all timing and confidence at the plate after coming back from such a huge layoff. His swing is naturally beautiful though and he seemed to get it together this year, hitting at or near .300 most of the year in AA and then AAA. Not sure what he finished up like though, this was in July/August when I saw his numbers. So anyways, I think he is a pretty good talent who coudl start for us soon. If he continues to hit in AAA next year, they'll have to bring him up and see what he can do. I know he's a Dombrowski favorite, he has called him a future AS a few times. We'll see.

I just don't see what other veteran we'd get though and I don't think we'd save that much money. I wish JP's D was better, but his pop is good for the SS position, especially going from Everett/Santiago. He showed us that he can drive in runs and that's our biggest hole, RBIs from the 7-9 spots. Now ideally we'll push Inge down to 7 followed by Avila and Peralta or something like that. His D isn't good, but it's not that bad. He can certainly catch the ball, he just lacks range. Very poor mobility. We'll have to have good 2B play. 2B could also be an option for Johnny if things don't work out and/or if a guy like Iorg comes up.

Like I said, what could we do instead? Maybe trade for a guy like Nunez, but A). I don't think he'll get dealt unless it's in a package for a Greinke or Hanley type and B). He's unproven and this is a make or break year for our GM and Manager, so they aren't going to play the patience game. They have to win now and can't take huge risks with young guys starting again. Last year was the development year. I'd rather pay Johnny 2/9-10 rather than save some insignificant amount of cash to sign some Santiago/Everett type again. I like what this kid brought to the table, our lineup, while not extremely imposing, will be very deep next year. Especially if Avila hits. I can see why you don't like Peralta, but can you at least understand why it might have been our best move at this point?

The Q
10-27-2010, 07:41 PM
I understand it, but I think I'd be waiting to see what the non-tender guys were too. I think they moved the non-tender date up to december 2nd as well. Some interesting names could be on there who could be had on a 1 year deal. I hear the Tigers are big into Crawford, would your OF really really nice defensively.

The Q
10-27-2010, 07:47 PM
I also would've wanted to see if the Japanese SS was posted.

Nastradamus
10-28-2010, 04:33 AM
I haven't heard much about the Japanese kid. There might have been a few better options I suppose, but I think they wanted to handle it quick and focus on Crawford and maybe a C and RP. I would not have objected to not signing Peralta for the record.

The Q
10-28-2010, 05:33 AM
I guess my point was no need to rush into mediocrity when so much mediocrity is going to be available.

Nastradamus
10-29-2010, 04:26 PM
Yeah, I can understand to some degree, but I feel like we've been burned with that strategy. I'm not sure any other SS could give us Peralta's offense(available of course). I don't know, I'm torn. I just hope Castellanos and Iorg/Nunez are ready in 2 years, lol.

Nastradamus
10-29-2010, 05:07 PM
Q, would you sign Crawford if you were us, for say, 6/90-100? What about Dunn for 4/50-55?

The Q
10-29-2010, 09:54 PM
Yeah, I can understand to some degree, but I feel like we've been burned with that strategy. I'm not sure any other SS could give us Peralta's offense(available of course). I don't know, I'm torn. I just hope Castellanos and Iorg/Nunez are ready in 2 years, lol.

Peralta's offense just really isn't that good anymore. You're probably better off going for a good defender since Jhonny pretty much offsets his O with his D.

The Q
10-29-2010, 09:57 PM
Q, would you sign Crawford if you were us, for say, 6/90-100? What about Dunn for 4/50-55?

I would love Crawford anywhere. He's a Cameron type athlete who is going to age well.

The rumor is the Tigers have the money to go for both Crawford and VMart. Makes sense to me. VMart can play some 1B to give miggy some rest (at DH...maybe when he's hung over ;) ) and can upgrade your catcher offense.

VMart's offense at 1B is borderline HOF caliber, so you're gonna want to get him so days in the lineup when he's not behind the plate.

Nastradamus
10-30-2010, 03:22 AM
Yeah, I heard something about that idea. I think the idea would be to DH Vmart when he wasn't catching(which might be half the time or so). Boesch on other days or something along those lines.

I guess I'm not in agreement on Peralta. His stats in Detroit would have given him like 105 RBI over a full season. I see no reason he won't give us 80-90 next year. What's his defensive metrics like? Seems like he's in an area with a guy like JJ Hardy.

Interesting on Crawford, that's very encouraging. Never thought of that comparison, hope you're right. He'd sure fit in Comerica.

The Q
10-30-2010, 04:35 AM
He's a negative, not far below, which surprised me.

He's about a 1 win player, which is worth about 4.5 mil. Idk how much of his defense was weighted towards his time at 3B in CLE though.

The Q
10-30-2010, 04:41 AM
I probably should've explained my Cameron comp more, it's even that they're similar players, it's just that players with Cameron like tools and athleticism tend to age very well.

Nastradamus
10-30-2010, 05:59 PM
I probably should've explained my Cameron comp more, it's even that they're similar players, it's just that players with Cameron like tools and athleticism tend to age very well.

Oh I understood. Good call on that. I'd be ok with getting 4 strong years and 2 average ones really, that's the risk you take with FAs.

Nastradamus
10-30-2010, 06:02 PM
He's a negative, not far below, which surprised me.

He's about a 1 win player, which is worth about 4.5 mil. Idk how much of his defense was weighted towards his time at 3B in CLE though.

That's about what he's going to get it seems. We may have overpaid a little, but it's going to be short term, 2 years, possibly 1 being an option. I'm sure his 3B D is weighted in a bit, but I can live with what he gives us. I think he produces more runs than he'll give up,over the average replacement.

The Q
11-01-2010, 05:31 PM
I'm liking this deal more with the Jap SS now probably not being posted.

It is a terrible SS class, I just thought they jumped the gun a bit.

Nastradamus
11-02-2010, 06:46 PM
I'm liking this deal more with the Jap SS now probably not being posted.

It is a terrible SS class, I just thought they jumped the gun a bit.

Yeah, I can understand why you were hesitant on it. It really is a terrible class. Go for Tulo in 2 years!! Santiago,Peralta,Inge is a nice 3some at those 2 positions more than anything. Pretty cheap overall and can do a little of everything. Hopefully someone seizes the 2B job and runs with it, whether Sizemore or Rhymes or even Guillen. Iorg is struggling in AFL I guess and will always strike out too much, but he has GG potential, a little pop and hit .300 in toledo this year IIRC. I have to wonder if we couldn't live with that considering we lived with Everett(I stole this idea from an MLB rumors idea to some degree, fwiw). If he can give me .250 with that D and baserunning I'd be fine with him in my 9 hole. My luck we'll lose him in rule 5.

Nastradamus
11-04-2010, 07:57 PM
When's rule 5 draft, winter meetings etc.?

The Q
11-04-2010, 08:05 PM
When's rule 5 draft, winter meetings etc.?

Winter meetings start in early december.

December 6th-9th

Nastradamus
11-10-2010, 09:29 PM
Wish list

Crawford
Benoit/Balfour/Francisco
Feliciano/Ohman
Olivo

wouldn't mind Vmart though if we miss. Some rumors we'll go for De la Rosa too. Javy Vasquez is the steal of FA though.

Nastradamus
11-17-2010, 07:57 PM
Benoit signed, pen shoudl be good. Loogy potentially needed if Coke starts. Feliciano,Ohman and others would work.

Talks are that we are close with Dunn as well, but nobody knows for sure. Our lineup is looking much deeper this year. We won't struggle to drive in runs with Dunn and Peralta(lead all AL SSs in RBI) added in. Maybe Maggs kept too. I want Upton at all costs if he can be had though. Start with Turner/Fields and see what happens from there.

The Q
11-18-2010, 04:20 PM
That is a lot of money for a non-closer.

Nastradamus
11-18-2010, 07:06 PM
No doubt, but I'm fine with it. I like the attitude it shows.

The Q
11-18-2010, 07:41 PM
Yeah, I'm just saying it's risky. Esp for a guy with his arm history

Nastradamus
11-18-2010, 09:33 PM
Oh yeah, I completely agree. One of the more dominant set up years in recent memory, but huge risk/reward signing. 5 million is a write off to me in the end, but I see that there is valid criticism on this one.

now just beat out Boston for Upton and we are good! Turner,Fields and what else

Nastradamus
11-23-2010, 07:14 PM
VICTOR MARTINEZ BABY!

I'm excited. Exactly the contract I wanted to give him. He'll likely catch against lefties only, DHing otherwise. I hear we have the highest offer out to Crawford too, but not sure if that was pre-VMart or not. Even just bringing Maggs back would be fine. Peralta for a whole season, a decent year out of Porcello/Raburn types and a revamped bullpen shoudl do the trick

seahawksfan837
11-24-2010, 07:50 AM
4 years, 50 million for VMart?

WTF are you doing Jack Z??!?!?! God I hate our GM sometimes.

ducky
11-24-2010, 03:16 PM
Martinez is a good get for the Tigers over the next year or two but as a division rival I certainly don't mind the fact that they had to give him a 4 year deal as he already was a player on the decline. That's going to be a lot of money to pay for a guy who probably won't be able to play anywhere but DH two years down the road and, while his numbers last year look solid, I am really skeptical that he is going to be able to come anywhere close to those numbers over the next 4 years while moving from one of the best hitters park in the league to one of the tougher ones.

Nastradamus
11-24-2010, 06:24 PM
I totally understand that thinking Ducky. I think he can be a backup C type for us for 2, maybe even 3 years(less wear and tear, so maybe you can stretch it out rather than 1-2 full years of catching), but years 3 and 4 are tricky. To this point, he has always produced enough to be a top DH, but he'll have to keep it up. Either way, he protects Miggy in the short term very well and will help give us more offense from 2 spots where we struggled. I'm cool with it overall.

Nastradamus
11-24-2010, 06:24 PM
4 years, 50 million for VMart?

WTF are you doing Jack Z??!?!?! God I hate our GM sometimes.

Weird that they didn't enter bidding. I guess the Chone deal slowed them down.

Underdog
11-29-2010, 08:38 PM
VICTOR MARTINEZ BABY!

I'm excited. Exactly the contract I wanted to give him. He'll likely catch against lefties only, DHing otherwise. I hear we have the highest offer out to Crawford too, but not sure if that was pre-VMart or not. Even just bringing Maggs back would be fine. Peralta for a whole season, a decent year out of Porcello/Raburn types and a revamped bullpen shoudl do the trick
Might as well go whole hog and go get Jeter now, too.

Nastradamus
11-30-2010, 04:13 AM
There is a small part of me that says it would be kinda cool to have him at 2B for 3-4 years.

Nastradamus
12-16-2010, 07:52 PM
Woo, Maggs back for 1/10. Turned down 2 years from others.

The Q
12-16-2010, 07:56 PM
Are Coke and Galaraga really gonna be the 4/5 guys?

Nastradamus
12-16-2010, 09:28 PM
I want to give Coke a shot, but I've come to realize we need to seriously upgrade from AG(bottom 5-10 for anyone over 100 IP as far as FIP and what not). I hope Dombrowski is just bluffing or something. I"d like a guy like Shields, but if not, at least try out a Wang or Washburn type(I'm in love with both this year as reclamation projects, especially Washburn).